Single Turbo peeps... what O2 sensors?

Scorpstan

Corporal
Feb 27, 2017
Ride
335i
the only sensors what will work are ADV pre turbo sensors.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
the only sensors what will work are ADV pre turbo sensors.

The only sensors?

That's a wild stretch considering I have a lot of miles on NTK, denso, etc. As I said before, ADVs work for some and don't work for others, with zero explanation why. And they seem to burn out in a few years which makes them no better than any regular O2.

With all the table changes required in tune, inconsistency, etc. I do not consider them a viable option. And I don't care what any company that stands to profit from selling the sensor has to say on the matter.

Scorpstan

Corporal
Feb 27, 2017
Ride
335i
The only sensors?

That's a wild stretch considering I have a lot of miles on NTK, denso, etc. As I said before, ADVs work for some and don't work for others, with zero explanation why. And they seem to burn out in a few years which makes them no better than any regular O2.

With all the table changes required in tune, inconsistency, etc. I do not consider them a viable option. And I don't care what any company that stands to profit from selling the sensor has to say on the matter.

It's not about what a company says, but that Bosch, denso or ntk are just the wrong sensors.

The normal lambdas are not suitable for high temperatures and especially not for high pressures.
This falsifies the afr bet and sooner or later the normal sensors will break.
Regarding changing tables, I don't know what should be so difficult. This is just a click via the mhd app.
I can not understand that some people have problems, but maybe that's because these people took normal ADV and not ADV Pre turbo, or forgot to put one wire of original connector away, or don't flash the adv tables via mhd.

Here are Pics. One with new NTKs and One with ADV Pre turbo Sensors. Last much smoother!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200802-210409.png
    Screenshot_20200802-210409.png
    212.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20200802-210122.png
    Screenshot_20200802-210122.png
    141.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Reactions: doublespaces

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
It's not about what a company says, but that Bosch, denso or ntk are just the wrong sensors.

The normal lambdas are not suitable for high temperatures and especially not for high pressures.
Regarding changing tables, I don't know what should be so difficult. This is just a click via the mhd app.
I can not understand that some people have problems, but maybe that's because these people took normal ADV and not ADV Pre turbo, or forgot to put one wire of original connector away, or don't flash the adv tables via mhd.

Here are Pics. One with new NTKs and One with ADV Pre turbo Sensors. Last much smoother!

Imagine lecturing a group of single turbo guys who have spent years trying every o2 combination out there in 2020

• Funny
Reactions: rac and veer90

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT

I ran NTKs at 36 psi on my old setup, AFRs were verified against the dyno wideband using nothing but JB4's built in model for EMAP lambda correction.

If that isn't good enough or you're flash only there's pressure compensation tables which will let you do the same or better. All of this using sensors that technically do not belong pre turbine but are made to work with some tuning tricks.

Please go on lol your love for ADVs is quite amusing given their less than stellar track record.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I think people's experience will depend on the manifold design. It seems to me the speedtech has been good for the O2 sensor market, so if anyone had some input worth considering I think it would be them. I have ADV sensors but my manifold is not the same as everyone else aside from a few, I have the ADE ram horn style manifold. It's been one of the completely trouble free aspects of my car, including the sensors. Never checked or changed them. Full disclosure I've only got like 6k on my kit in the last few years.

Reactions: veer90

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
I think people's experience will depend on the manifold design. It seems to me the speedtech has been good for the O2 sensor market, so if anyone had some input worth considering I think it would be them. I have ADV sensors but my manifold is not the same as everyone else aside from a few, I have the ADE ram horn style manifold. It's been one of the completely trouble free aspects of my car, including the sensors. Never checked or changed them. Full disclosure I've only got like 6k on my kit in the last few years.

best chance of success regarding ecu dummy spits - distance from exhaust port to sensor needs to be the same as each other and as similar to oem as possible.. this is a separate issue to temperature / pressure etc. I'd wager the that the top mount guys are having more problems than the short runner bottom mount guys (which would be counterintuitive from a heat point of view) maybe a survey can be done on that - "are you top or btm mount, do you have have wideband issues?"

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
best chance of success regarding ecu dummy spits - distance from exhaust port to sensor needs to be the same as each other and as similar to oem as possible.. this is a separate issue to temperature / pressure etc. I'd wager the that the top mount guys are having more problems than the short runner bottom mount guys (which would be counterintuitive from a heat point of view) maybe a survey can be done on that - "are you top or btm mount, do you have have wideband issues?"

This is the manifold I have:
1596525669349.png

I've never noticed any issues with my primary O2 sensors. I had a secondary O2 go haywire, but that is because I had a problem with my flapper valve which is on the same fuse as the DMTL and the O2 sensors I th ink.

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
I ran NTKs at 36 psi on my old setup, AFRs were verified against the dyno wideband using nothing but JB4's built in model for EMAP lambda correction.

If that isn't good enough or you're flash only there's pressure compensation tables which will let you do the same or better. All of this using sensors that technically do not belong pre turbine but are made to work with some tuning tricks.

Please go on lol your love for ADVs is quite amusing given their less than stellar track record.

Can't stress that part enough. Very few tuners address this.

shushikiary

Sergeant
Jun 4, 2018
Ride
335xi
I've been running ADV's in a speed tech with a GTX3582R gen II now for almost a year with no problems, they work great. 30 PSI to redline, straight E85 with PI, 12.5 AFR high RPM WOT.

Reactions: Torgus

E90FAN

Lurker
Mar 13, 2021
32k on my ADVs from speedtech, no issues to report.

Selling my 02 harness jumper because its all getting parted out (no splice, better signal) if anyone's interested.

Figured out the whole 02 in the downpipe thing... just needed to put a 2j in there.

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
This is the manifold I have:
View attachment 41836

I've never noticed any issues with my primary O2 sensors. I had a secondary O2 go haywire, but that is because I had a problem with my flapper valve which is on the same fuse as the DMTL and the O2 sensors I th ink.

This manifold uses the O2 sensor venturi/heat sink which is recommended for placement of the sensors pre turbo, maybe that's why they are trouble free.