SPA Turbo T3 Cast Turbo Manifold

JimboFresh206

Sergeant
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335/635/535/533/633
I love jerry rigging shit, and that copper plate looks ghetto as hell lmao

I used these heat sinks with NTKs on my single turbo, no issues so far after 25+ dyno pulls, maybe 15+ street pulls, and a 250 mile road trip. The tip is a venturi so AFR readings are unaffected, the sensors are just a touch slower to respond than if they were directly in the exhaust.

ghetto as hell, but on a 930t lol...

Yeah those sinks are nice. i was gonna use them and the copper and pray for now. im the middle of closing on a place rn so im gonna be a bit slow.

I still think that WG issue is just from the gate itself (ive had the same issue twice), have you tried taking it off and inspecting the valve stem and diaphragm? @CornFedBimmer

CornFedBimmer

Private
Jul 19, 2018
Ride
2007 335i sedan
^ yes, I pulled the wastegate a couple weeks ago and verified it was in working order. The problem ended up being in the tune. I believe my tuner said that the PID value he used initially was too high but I’m waiting on him to get back to me on what exactly was changed

Reactions: gingerbreadman

CornFedBimmer

Private
Jul 19, 2018
Ride
2007 335i sedan
You can also look into the NTK O2 sensors, I've heard that they stand up to the heat better than OEM ones. Some O2 heatsinks will help too.

A GT35 on this manifold will likely have the turbine housing hitting the motor mount, so it will need to be notched or swapped out with an AD Engineering one if they sell it separately now

May 15, 2018
Ride
08 335xi E92
So far GT3582R has no issues clearing the axel on a 335XI setup :) I'm waiting for my 44mm TiAl wastegate to come in the mail..

Reactions: Vitan

CornFedBimmer

Private
Jul 19, 2018
Ride
2007 335i sedan
Finally had a chance to strap the car down and do some pulls. Unfortunately my MAC solenoid was acting up so we only got a few clean runs in. On a conservative 17 psi pump gas tune it put down 441/385. I ordered another MAC and that one was working inconsistently too, so I'm now using a MBC and the boost control is great.

My waterpump sounds like Chewbacca right now lol but once I replace it I'll be going back for an E50 tune to really see what this turbo can do

Last edited:

CornFedBimmer

Private
Jul 19, 2018
Ride
2007 335i sedan
Here it is

Attachments

• 6B8A4F3E-985E-49CE-8852-6D13B71A659C.jpeg
    6B8A4F3E-985E-49CE-8852-6D13B71A659C.jpeg
    267.8 KB · Views: 385

JimboFresh206

Sergeant
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335/635/535/533/633
Finally had a chance to strap the car down and do some pulls. Unfortunately my MAC solenoid was acting up so we only got a few clean runs in. On a conservative 17 psi pump gas tune it put down 441/385. I ordered another MAC and that one was working inconsistently too, so I'm now using a MBC and the boost control is great.

My waterpump sounds like Chewbacca right now lol but once I replace it I'll be going back for an E50 tune to really see what this turbo can do

-What MBC are you using? the go fast bits one?

-Did you keep the filter/restrictor on the turbo?

CornFedBimmer

Private
Jul 19, 2018
Ride
2007 335i sedan
^ Just using a generic eBay one for now. I originally got it just to see if my boost issues were electrical or the wastegate, but the logs looked so nice that I decided to just stick with it. Do you mean the restrictor on the MBC?

Reactions: JimboFresh206

JimboFresh206

Sergeant
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335/635/535/533/633
^ Just using a generic eBay one for now. I originally got it just to see if my boost issues were electrical or the wastegate, but the logs looked so nice that I decided to just stick with it. Do you mean the restrictor on the MBC?

Ok cool, lol ive run hallman MBC's and diesel MBC's for years without issue (ussually when e-boost is goof, lol go figure) i will add one to my list, i prefer the diesel ones that are just like a little valve you twist.

The Turbonetics JB turbos come with a restrictor, and filter. its that bronze fitting in your video when you displayed the manifold. I grabbed a 6262 and its got the same piece, i always have binned them, so i was just curious if you kept yours :)

...also this sounds so fucking good lol, love the update and im glad i watched the rest of the vids

PS: can you do a 3-4 pull from 2500 or so just like a normal log, so we can see its transient behavior? (or can i peep a log??)

pics of hallman and the other kind i like:hmbcpro.jpg s-l1600.jpg

CornFedBimmer

Private
Jul 19, 2018
Ride
2007 335i sedan
Another small update, had my car on the dyno at Import Alliance last month on a work in progress E60 tune, and it put down 480 whp and 460 wtq. My E content was a little high so my rail pressure was crashing above 6k so I stopped the pull there.

Overall I’m pretty happy with this manifold

GTRZillaR

Aug 1, 2017
Toronto
www.instagram.com
Ride
08 E92 335i
Reviving old thread.
I’m actually picking up a top mount hybrid t3 single turbo kit tomorrow with gt35r that I’m upgrading to gtx35r for my 08 335i. I’m in Canada and we don’t have easy access to e85, it will be on pump gas plus meth. The current owner of the kit said it made 530whp on 22psi. Pretty interesting what it will make with gtx housing and a billet compressor wheel, with and without meth on jb4 st tune

May 15, 2018
Ride
08 335xi E92
Reviving old thread.
I’m actually picking up a top mount hybrid t3 single turbo kit tomorrow with gt35r that I’m upgrading to gtx35r for my 08 335i. I’m in Canada and we don’t have easy access to e85, it will be on pump gas plus meth. The current owner of the kit said it made 530whp on 22psi. Pretty interesting what it will make with gtx housing and a billet compressor wheel, with and without meth on jb4 st tune
I was seeing how you were coming along with your ST top mount gtx3582r is going? Are you going to be using the motiv boost box? I plan on using this same spaturbo bottom mount mainfold with a gtx3582r. I plan on running 25-30 psi daily on a flex custom ST tune. I am hoping to put down some good numbers on the dyno. BTW do you have any pictures or video of your install progress or dyno pulls or anything cool yet? Let me know I'm quite interested.

May 15, 2018
Ride
08 335xi E92
Another small update, had my car on the dyno at Import Alliance last month on a work in progress E60 tune, and it put down 480 whp and 460 wtq. My E content was a little high so my rail pressure was crashing above 6k so I stopped the pull there.

Overall I’m pretty happy with this manifold

Did you have issues with boost creep when trying to get your car tuned? is that the reason why you went to use a MBC instead of a go fast bits electronic one? The tuner I reached out to who previously tuned my car before on twins is telling me to stay away due to terrible boost creep issues using this manifold. That is the one major thing I am concerned about as boost creep cannot be fixed within the tune. I'd rather not put time and money into a project which will not succeed in the end. I don't want to have to deal with headaches trying to get car dialed in on 28-33 psi of boost. I would like my logs to have a nice boost curve and not be all wonky. Would anybody have any datalogs they can upload to datzap or something using whatever sized turbo + spa turbo manifold?

May 15, 2018
Ride
08 335xi E92
those are kinda unusual codes. I think you just need to recheck your connections (Mac solenoid to wg). I've been running this setup for over 5,000 miles and never ran into this. I feel i did you guys a disservice by not posting anything. I wanted to wait till all gremlins are sorted then post. Currently getting tuned by Jake@motiv and chasing down a 30ff. You'll also need adv or ntk o2 sensors. i burnt mine out in a week.
Do you still have this same setup on your car? Did you run into any issues with boost creeping at all when trying to get dialed in by Jake @ motiv? If you did run into boost creep issues, how was it resolved?

KClemente

Sergeant
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
Anyone with this manifold have any problems with lambda readings like the speedtech manifold? Helping a friend with a swap and I would like to be as prepared as possible

I have the speedtech exhaust gas pressure correction just in case