Spark plug ceramic broke off - Piston Damage?

Bigfwop

Lurker
Mar 13, 2019
Fort Myers
Ride
e92 335i
As the title suggests, I encountered a Broken piston ceramic sheath/shield as shown below.

image0.jpeg

initially encountered misfires on cyl 4 on WOT however Car ran fine if I didn't go into boost.

Checked all wiring coils and plugs on cycl4 and low and behold about half of the ceramic sheath was missing. (Explains the arching/misfiring.)
-Purchased a Borescope to asses any damage and took these photos. valves looked perfect however can't say the same for the piston.
I'm not experienced to know if this is catastrophic.
-I am not sure But can imagine that it is resiude/damage from the ceramic.. I would also think that the ceramic would have gotten obliterated but much is left to be addressed here. I'm wondering if this will go away or if the piston is totally F'd. I'm going to do a compression test in the mean-time however any advice/insight would put me at ease. Thanks in advance.
WIN_20200629_18_40_34_Pro.jpg

WIN_20200629_18_54_55_Pro.jpg

WIN_20200629_18_57_09_Pro.jpg

Bigfwop

Lurker
Mar 13, 2019
Fort Myers
Ride
e92 335i
Update #1 compression test came back perfect and holds.
Putting new spark plug and replacing coil.
next step I’m thinking is putting a fuel cleaner to see if it’ll come off.

Attachments

• 7CBA52C5-EFB6-40AA-BBDB-649799614AEC.jpeg
    7CBA52C5-EFB6-40AA-BBDB-649799614AEC.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 59

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54
EDIT: Thanks your finding and reading my post. Unfortunately, Spoolstreet is no longer a neutral platform where we can have honest discussions on subjects and products freely.
For this reason I have deleted all information I posted on the forums.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigfwop

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
The carbon pattern is totally normal. You need to get a small hose connected to a strong vacuum cleaner and try to vacuum the shit out of the affected piston. Just to be safe. I predict that the ceramic parts have long been ejected out of the engine through the exhaust valve...there is literally nowhere that particles can go except for OUT through the valve.

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
I don't know how the piston or cylinder couldn't be severely damaged but the compression test seems to suggest other wise.

There are alot of fake NGK plugs circulating. Suspect you got one because they seem to be prone to the ceramic breaking.
Wouldn't dare use Chinese spark plugs in my car. The problem is knowing which are real and which are fake.

Bigfwop

Lurker
Mar 13, 2019
Fort Myers
Ride
e92 335i
Looks like carbon buildup. I wouldnt be too worried about that. More worried about the valve but since you have good compression, I say you dodged a bullet.
Just keep motoring on :)
Thanks for the feedback. Car is working perfectly at this point.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
There are alot of fake NGK plugs circulating. Suspect you got one because they seem to be prone to the ceramic breaking.
Wouldn't dare use Chinese spark plugs in my car. The problem is knowing which are real and which are fake.
DO NOT buy NGK from Amazon. Amazon does nothing to ensure products sold on its platform (EVEN those delivered from the Amazon warehouse) are not fake. I've had this conversation with them on the phone - they "guarantee" their products is their response, which they explained that I can return the product if not satisfied.

Buy from a reputable vendor, not from a bazaar. The same holds for batteries, and any number of things being wholesale copied in China.

Filippo

Reactions: MoreBoost

Scorpstan

Corporal
Feb 27, 2017
Ride
335i
try ngk 5992

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-07-06 at 15.19.22.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-07-06 at 15.19.22.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 52

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
DO NOT buy NGK from Amazon. Amazon does nothing to ensure products sold on its platform (EVEN those delivered from the Amazon warehouse) are not fake. I've had this conversation with them on the phone - they "guarantee" their products is their response, which they explained that I can return the product if not satisfied.

Buy from a reputable vendor, not from a bazaar. The same holds for batteries, and any number of things being wholesale copied in China.

Filippo

Yep. Buy once from FCP Euro and be done with it for life.

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i

Filippo

100% I ordered Ngks off Amazon. Later showed shipped from China. That was over a year ago.

Next to real ones the plugs and box look identical but I dare not use them. For the sake of £55 or $70 I will have to take the hit. Much cheaper than fixing an engine destroyed by a chunk of ceramic.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i

Filippo
Agreed. No Milwaukee batteries from Amazon. I have been getting them from Home Depot only.

If they are not fake, they likely have expired warranty.