Spool IGN Or PR IGN Coils

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
I probably should know the answer to this, but I don’t, so I am going to ask: How do you know when you need to upgrade coilpacks?

I am ps2 (n55) running a conservative tune (18psi and 9 degrees of timing at redline) and my logs are great. My coilpacks are original with about 55k miles on them. I have no idea if upgrading the coilpacks is a worthwhile mod. Can anyone share some insight please?

Really not until you start having misfires. But if you do any serious power mods, you are likely to expose the limits of the OEM plugs and coils. I am N55, but ran 19-22psi on average on stock N55 Delphi coils and Bosch plugs with no issues. I only went with the spool kit because it was time to replace my coils and plugs and I am installing a PS2. But right now I am running 22psi or so on an E50 tune and she is running better than ever.

Reactions: houtan

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Ok thanks. I guess I’ll keep an eye on it. I haven’t noticed anything. I dynoed at 491whp so maybe below 500 the stock coils are fine.

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
I'd assume you'd be able to open up your gap a bit too based on the reviews of the PR n54 kit. People have been running on oem coils with PS2s on N55s for quite a while though.

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
The Mercury IGN-1 is not CDI, the IGN-1CD is. At least from what specs and part #'s I have found. And the IGN-1's have been in use on many applications for a long time, using these coils is nothing new. I have experience using the us the Mercury Marine IGN-1A and D585 GM Yukon coils on other platforms with good results but I am no expert on the subject. I personally prefer the Spool bracket and the wiring, etc. all seems nice and I checked everyone for continuity before installing and everything was great. Either way the kit works well for me and it's not for sale any longer so it's really a moot issue I guess.

Dude please stop it with the misinformation, I'm not really sure why you're posting this stuff but it's only about half right. The IGN1 and IGN1A nomenclature are both inductive coils, but are NOT mercury marine. They are aftermarket AEM destinations.

The IGN1A is based off the mercury marine 339-8M0077471 used in the newer optispark outboards and other direct injection marine applications. It's a great design that AEM honesty made cheaper for their customers if you test them side by side, but yes both are inductive, both are good, you can use them in your LS build just fine as they are smart coils and way better than the D585.

The IGN1, on the other hand, is not. AEM may have taken the smart coil bits out from the MM 339-8M0077471/AEM IGN1A to call it the IGN1, or left them mercury spec to call it the IGN1CD (megasquirt too), as internally the two shells are nearly identical, but Mercury Marine never made this design. The mercury marine version of IGN1 is the 339-85699A1 which was used on older optimax and the first of the DFI marine motors, and it's 100% CDI spec. There's reasons this coil is used as a base for the newer (inductive) 339-8M0077471, AEM IGN1A, AEM IGN1, MSD 8232, and various OEM for CDI use (including MSD in their top CDI kit) but that's beyond this.

Last edited:

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
Dude please stop it with the misinformation, I'm not really sure why you're posting this stuff but it's only about half right. The IGN1 and IGN1A nomenclature are both inductive coils, but are NOT mercury marine. They are aftermarket AEM destinations.

The IGN1A is based off the mercury marine 339-8M0077471 used in the newer optispark outboards and other direct injection marine applications. It's a great design that AEM honesty made cheaper for their customers if you test them side by side, but yes both are inductive, both are good, you can use them in your LS build just fine as they are smart coils and way better than the D585.

The IGN1, on the other hand, is not. AEM may have taken the smart coil bits out from the MM 339-8M0077471/AEM IGN1A to call it the IGN1, or left them mercury spec to call it the IGN1CD (megasquirt too), as internally the two shells are nearly identical, but Mercury Marine never made this design. The mercury marine version of IGN1 is the 339-85699A1 which was used on older optimax and the first of the DFI marine motors, and it's 100% CDI spec. There's reasons this coil is used as a base for the newer (inductive) 339-8M0077471, AEM IGN1A, AEM IGN1, MSD 8232, and various OEM for CDI use (including MSD in their top CDI kit) but that's beyond this.

Diyautotune and others have used those part numbers to differentiate the -1 and -1CD for years. I don't think AEM had anything to with it but maybe and yeah they are some good coils.

As for your opinion on the Spool kit, you have personal interest in the PR kit, so I get where you are coming from.

I run the Spool kit and it works great. If and when the coils fail, I'll try the AEM 30-2852. If these coils ruin my DME or cause any other damage, I'll report as well. But I highly doubt that will happen.

Last edited:

JimboFresh206

Sergeant
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335/635/535/533/633

These are what I used on my m30... liked your comment because yeah they have been calling them that for years :)

So theses ARE NOT the ones I would use if I wanted to do the same on my n5x car?

Just curious :)

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
I'm not going to comment on the origin of the coils because that's not my area of expertise.

What I will say is in my experience Precision Raceworks has been stand-up to deal with. Robert answers all my dumb DIY questions, is super responsive and accomodating with orders, special needs, etc.

Shitfire Race, on the other hand, steals ideas, stalks people, has multiple shill accounts to control the narrative on facebook, and engages in other often questionable and possibly illegal behavior. It's honestly a whole lot of childish bullshit but speaks volumes to the lack of professionalism of Jake Ulch as a vendor.

So the question boils down to, who do you want to support.

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Diyautotune and others have used those part numbers to differentiate the -1 and -1CD for years. I don't think AEM had anything to with it but maybe and yeah they are some good coils.

As for your opinion on the Spool kit, you have personal interest in the PR kit, so I get where you are coming from.

I run the Spool kit and it works great. If and when the coils fail, I'll try the AEM 30-2852. If these coils ruin my DME or cause any other damage, I'll report as well. But I highly doubt that will happen.

The spool kit uses copied PR specs afaik, both companies are in Houston and I used to tune some of the guys responsible for spool and they had access to, well, special information. The fact these guys say "it's just MM coils" drives me like 150% crazy. They are not.

The AEM ign1 would work with proper dwell calibration. Diyautotune would too with identical dwell changes to aem... if you knew why you'd laugh, I was young back then, reckless, lol. Def buy the diyautotune megasquirt coils if you are between the two! The mercury marine of the same shell would absolutely not work though, despite being based on it. That's all.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimboFresh206

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
I'm not going to comment on the origin of the coils because that's not my area of expertise.

What I will say is in my experience Precision Raceworks has been stand-up to deal with. Robert answers all my dumb DIY questions, is super responsive and accomodating with orders, special needs, etc.

Shitfire Race, on the other hand, steals ideas, stalks people, has multiple shill accounts to control the narrative on facebook, and engages in other often questionable and possibly illegal behavior. It's honestly a whole lot of childish bullshit but speaks volumes to the lack of professionalism of Jake Ulch as a vendor.

So the question boils down to, who do you want to support.

PR is great and Spool is no longer selling the kit (per an agreement with PR from what I heard) so there is no real choice about who to support IMO. Misfire Race is not Spool and has nothing to do with the company other than being a vendor but yeah I have heard he is a dip shit. Spool has been great to deal with in every way, I bought from them directly.

Last edited:

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
PR is great and Spool is no longer selling the kit (per an agreement with PR from what I heard) so there is no real choice about who to support IMO. Misfire Race is not Spool and has nothing to do with the company other than being a vender but yeah I have heard he is a dip shit. Spool has been great to deal with in every way, I bought from them directly.

Spool seems to have some cool new products coming out that are unique, which is great. Glad they aren't really associated with the misfire race stuff. Sucks how some vendors are on this platform.

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas

These are what I used on my m30... liked your comment because yeah they have been calling them that for years :)

So theses ARE NOT the ones I would use if I wanted to do the same on my n5x car?

Just curious :)

That one would work you'd just need to calculate dwell. The issue I was addressing was the names he was using, the IGN-1 is not a mercury marine coil. You can use the IGN1 in our cars no problem, or the msd or the megasquirt versions just adjust dwell. But you can't use the mercury marine coil directly, because it's CDI, and it's not called the IGN1 at all that's not a mercury marine part number. If you wanted to use an aftermarket coil in the boat you'd need to use the IGN-1CD or another CDI wound coil ideally. That's all. When the PR coil was designed we looked at all of this and adjusted things where appropriate for the n54 to maximize things.

The IGN1A is a smart coil and identical to the mercury marine smart coil. But that's a different coil all together and can't be used on the n54 without a harness like bimmerlife uses. And the IGN1 style is superior anyway.

Reactions: 9krpmrx8

Silentkiller335i

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Spool coils work, so does PR coils, PR coil wires are thinner silicone 8mm if I remember (might have went bigger idk) and spool wires is 10mm. The actual coil wire inside is the exact same. I’ve cut both open and compared. I use to have PR coil set and had to replace the wires due to them pulling apart.dont know if they fixed this or not. But I haven’t had that issue with spool wires. As far as performance both work perfect, haven’t had a issue with PR nor spool. I was on stock coils for the longest after I sold the PR coils.which worked fine for me on stock turbos, once I switched to my big single setup started getting misfires so as a beta tester I threw on the spool kit and my misfires went away instantly. Been running them for over a year now and no issues, one thing I really liked about spool coils is the lifetime warranty. So even if a coil wire pulls apart it’s free, unlike with PR I had to pay for a entire set, which I felt wasn’t my fault as I pulled them by the boot everytime. But thats my experience just wanted to give people some real world experience with both sets

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
View attachment 27944View attachment 27945
Looking into new coil pack setup,I found these red coils on Facebook,is there a difference between these and the PR coils?Are these just a copy of the Original?From reading and found that they are saying that the red Coil setup is better then the Blue PR setup.before i buy just looking for some more solid info.I didnt know there was a red setup available.
I would stay with the stocks. My misfires did not go away. It actually caused another list of items to check over, wires, connector pins misaligned or mixed up, boot lengths,then buy the upgraded harness, then buy the upgraded boots, then buy new connectors...... mosfets blowing out, then get the car retuned....all to still have some misfires. The process Just wasn’t as smooth as I anticipated.