Stage 3 Fuel Installed, Secondary Pump Stays Running

birrcrin

Private
Jul 26, 2018
Recently installed a Walboro 525 and the pump stays running even with the engine off. When I disconnect the hobb switch on the end from the battery side, the pump turns off but when I disconnect it from the engine side pump stays running. Is there something wrong with the harness or what could it be?

birrcrin

Private
Jul 26, 2018
Something is amiss with your wiring sir! Draw out a diagram of how you have it wired.
Sorry I couldn’t think of a good way to draw it out so I took some pictures. The relay is just tucked down under, not sure if it’s supposed to be bolted down somewhere because I couldn’t find any instructions on that.

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
Do you have a multimeter? If so check your Hobbs switch for connectivity and make sure you have it wired up right if you are using one with an NC output. Hobbs switches that fuelit sells only have 2 connections, but the ones on ebay/Amazon and others have 3 connections. You can wire up a Hobbs switch to turn off with pressure or turn on with pressure. If your Hobbs switch has more than 2 wiring locations take a look at this video.

Although this video isnt using the same type of switch the design on the pressure side works the same.

If that isnt the issue then you should check your relay wiring. The best way to figure it out is with a multimeter.

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
Lol, as I was typing you posted photos. Your hobbs switch is self contained, the only way to test will be to get a multimeter. My guess is that it's a relay issue or possibly a defective Hobbs switch if your wiring is 100%.

Also In your photos the wires going to your fuel lid look normal? It's hard to tell by your photos, but hopefully the wiring in your tank are fuel grade wiring otherwise the wiring insulation will fall off from the gasoline. If you bought a stage 3 kit from a reputable vender then you should be good, I know my fuelit wires say gasoline resistant on them.

Did you buy a vender stage 3 kit? A vender wiring kit? Or is this all diy?

Last edited:

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
A diagram is much easier for troubleshooting what went where, but based on the info I'd really double/triple check that it's not mis-wired, and once you've verified that, look at Hobbs switch.