Stett Performance Oil Cooler for Non-Oil Cooler e92 retrofit kit Installation Video

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Here are the videos on installation for the Stett Performance Oil Cooler retrofit for cars that do not have an oil cooler.

Part One:

Part two revised infor from Stett.

These are pointers and not detailed step by step. Made for those who know their way around the e9x generation.

Last edited:

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
Been looking at one of these for a while, thinking about one of these on the right and a trans cooler on the left. Any leaks/fitment issues? How'd you end up securing the thermostat?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Been looking at one of these for a while, thinking about one of these on the right and a trans cooler on the left. Any leaks/fitment issues? How'd you end up securing the thermostat?

Will show after tomorrow full assembly is done and tested for leaks.

GotPwned

Lurker
Apr 3, 2018
Ride
2007 BMW 335i
Wish this video was up when I installed mine. Also I found out that the thermostat kit that came with the oil cooler runs wayyy too cool. Luckily Improved Racing does have a kit for the thermostat which changes the temperature of when it opens up.

Reactions: matreyia

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Wish this video was up when I installed mine. Also I found out that the thermostat kit that came with the oil cooler runs wayyy too cool. Luckily Improved Racing does have a kit for the thermostat which changes the temperature of when it opens up.

That's what I think too. But I suppose to each his own. I prefer my temps at 225 to 240°f nominal and 250 max.

• Agree
Reactions: Jeffman

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93

This unit is bigger than my Dinan kit. But no idea on fin density comparison.

Last edited:

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
Got a link for that?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93

Ok, there are leaks at the OFH plate connector to the lines. Tried tightening them to max, but no go. Tomorrow will take off and install again with teflon tape. The thermostat connections are not leaking since they are plugged with connectors that have green o rings on them. The OFH connections are metal on metal. So no surprise there about the leaking.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Ok, there are leaks at the OFH plate connector to the lines. Tried tightening them to max, but no go. Tomorrow will take off and install again with teflon tape. The thermostat connections are not leaking since they are plugged with connectors that have green o rings on them. The OFH connections are metal on metal. So no surprise there about the leaking.
Definitely need a rubber o-ring or gasket in there, preferably of the Viton variety that is very durable against hot oil etc.

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi

Can you just use the oem thermostat instead of their delete plate? I've read elsewhere of that plate causing oil pressure issues, not sure if it was FUD or not.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Can you just use the oem thermostat instead of their delete plate? I've read elsewhere of that plate causing oil pressure issues, not sure if it was FUD or not.

I suppose I could use oem thermostat but the kit came with their plate and a lower temp thermostat and client wanted the Stett kit. As for oil pressure issues... that is possible, because when I reassembled the car, there was an oil pressure sensor grounding error in the scantool. I went out to check connections and do a disconnect reconnect and tested again and it went away. Now I don't know if that is the plate causing that or if it's another damn N55 stupid ass error for no damn reason thing. Did I mention I hate working on N55's? Damn... and all these folks walking around talking trash about the N54 being problematic. They don't know jack imo.

GotPwned

Lurker
Apr 3, 2018
Ride
2007 BMW 335i
Definitely need a rubber o-ring or gasket in there, preferably of the Viton variety that is very durable against hot oil etc.

Actually just teflon tape is needed. It is even mentioned in the installation instructions that are given with the kit. I threw one or two loops around the -AN hose ends and the plate and hose ends stay squeaky clean. However DO NOT put teflon tape where the hose ends connect on the thermostat

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Actually just teflon tape is needed. It is even mentioned in the installation instructions that are given with the kit. I threw one or two loops around the -AN hose ends and the plate and hose ends stay squeaky clean. However DO NOT put teflon tape where the hose ends connect on the thermostat
I never got instructions. Stett sent a pdf after I emailed.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
EDIT: I meant an O-ring or gasket between OFH and plate. :)
Teflon tape on the -AN hose ends also a good idea.

GotPwned

Lurker
Apr 3, 2018
Ride
2007 BMW 335i
Yeah it utilizes the same gasket as you would use if you had the factory oil thermostat. It just sandwiches between the plate and the oil filter housing

• Agree

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93

The kit comes with BMW gaskets for the plate surface. Chad from Stett emailed me on Sunday the PDF install instructions and it says that teflon tape/teflon paste is required for the connection between the hose connector to the aluminum plate. However, do not use any teflon on any of the AN to AN connections. Be advised.

Update: yesterday I applied teflon tape to the connector and aluminum plate and that did reduce the leak a little but it is still leaking. Tonight I will take it apart again and apply teflon paste. That should seal it up quite well. Teflon tape tends to get jumbled upon tightening sometimes, but the paste should conform completely and more finely. So I expect no more leaks after tonight.

Will update tomorrow.