Stock Turbo Love

Jan 5, 2018
South Jersey
Ride
07 335i
I too am staying with stock turbos, running a 470whp tune on 19psi.

I like the stock response and driving characteristics, but really, the reasoning is cost.

Upgraded turbos are expensive and unreliable no matter what, and they're useless without a fuel system (And I won't use PI so it's an expensive shotgun). You're also playing on bad odds with the stock short block. Blah blah blah they're good to 800whp blah blah blah I blew a 51,000 mile motor on stock turbos and a safe tune. So I'd need fuel, a built block, and then suspension work. This car is down right terrifying in 3rd gear with the way it wanders. And having driven one with over 100k and similar power, it was suicidal. So that's more cost, and it takes away from the comfort of the car. So now we've spent 15 grand and have 750whp, how are we going to stop? I was fading the IS brakes (Which have ducts) in less than a lap of a 2:09/lap track. Bill out another few thousand.

Where does it stop? And what are we left with? #racecar is cool and all, but that's not why I bought a luxury sports car. Especially when I could get a stock ZL1 for cheaper that'd destroy every street legal 3 series on this forum.

So I'll stick with stockers, and, as much shit as I talk, probably go with Rob's turbos when mine give out.

what setup are you running that got you to 470whp? I'm stage 1 and in my opinion thats to much power for stock suspension. I've done more mods to my suspension than the engine. You definitely should look into rear subframe bushings and good upgraded control arms to help with the wandering. As for upgraded turbos, you are right on them being expensive. But if I had the money I'd go RB first Pure as a close second.

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Safe as a tune can be with 19psi, it's not a total record breaking kill tune.

All the bolt ons, and an LSD.

After I get it back together I plan on spending some money on the suspension, just don't want to go too far with it.

Reactions: Silver_Sur4r_N54

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
yyeeahh... no. Gotta see that before i believe it. Either way i can't imagine that that is lasting power on the stockers.

What kind of WGDC percentage is everyone running thier stockers at? I am going over 60% to target 18psi and i'm wondering if i should be in lower numbers. I like the way the car runs. Right now i'm just wondering how to keep it in one piece. Limiting wastegate closure to make it as easy on the turbo's as possible.
Stock in/outlets and i'm wondering if my 2.25 (or2.5inch) lower charge pipe is a bottleneck. How can i make the stockers make boost with low wgdc?

https://datazap.me/u/ballistic/bmw-...ic-flexfuel-high-e-content?log=0&data=3-22-30
I made 470/490 on stock turbos.....but not at 19 psi

iminhell1

Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018
41869186_461368171024450_3850574189593362432_n.jpg

For myself, I can't justify upgraded twins because I don't see enough short run gain to justify the cost. Right now I'm consistent 11.6"s and have run faster (more favorable DA). I don't want to but it's honestly FAR cheaper to play the weight game and wheel game than to do the upgraded turbo game. And like everyone else, I need more fuel if I go upgraded turbos. So that's a Double Barrel on top.
And realistically with 128,000 on the clock I don't feel the bearings will like being stressed even harder. Something will let go. I don't have those type of funds, I don't want to have those type of funds. If I want faster it's better to just buy a faster car. I've got over the ego with cars long ago. I don't do it for any reason other than this car was in my price range, it's really comfortable, it's fun, it's quick and it has been reliable for me.

My personal goal for the car is making it a good car at everything; drag, roll, cones, hpde and DD. I have suspension and wheel/tire left to do. And some parts here to fix some of the shortcomings ... front M arms, solid diff bushings, solid subframe bushings ....

Last edited:
Reactions: V8bait

chrisdfv

Corporal
Aug 29, 2017
Ride
E90 335i
yyeeahh... no. Gotta see that before i believe it. Either way i can't imagine that that is lasting power on the stockers.

What kind of WGDC percentage is everyone running thier stockers at? I am going over 60% to target 18psi and i'm wondering if i should be in lower numbers. I like the way the car runs. Right now i'm just wondering how to keep it in one piece. Limiting wastegate closure to make it as easy on the turbo's as possible.
Stock in/outlets and i'm wondering if my 2.25 (or2.5inch) lower charge pipe is a bottleneck. How can i make the stockers make boost with low wgdc?

https://datazap.me/u/ballistic/bmw-...ic-flexfuel-high-e-content?log=0&data=3-22-30

When I was on stockers, I was running close to 80% wgdc up top (about 18psi @ 6K RPM). I ran it this way for years. After market inlets and outlets lower wgdc a considerable amount.

Jan 5, 2018
South Jersey
Ride
07 335i
I got a question for everybody... Aftermarket PVC system... is it really needed if we still have to walnut blast? I always thought I needed to do this upgrade but It seems it just prolongs the cleaning for just a short while. Whats the consensus on this?

iminhell1

Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018
I got a question for everybody... Aftermarket PVC system... is it really needed if we still have to walnut blast? I always thought I needed to do this upgrade but It seems it just prolongs the cleaning for just a short while. Whats the consensus on this?

I'm just on RB PCV and catch can on the flapper side. No problems I know of.

E92-Ghandi

Corporal
Feb 25, 2018
Ride
2010 335i e92 DCT
I have BMS on the high side and RB valve, car was smoking from time to time, a bit embarrassing and annoying to be honest, went with external PCV and an extra oil catch can and no more smoke, barely once in a month or so.
That's the only reason i went that route, THE SOMKE!

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Did you plug the head? All that soot building up in the intake runners is likely the worst maintenance issue with the N54 design.

Filippo

E92-Ghandi

Corporal
Feb 25, 2018
Ride
2010 335i e92 DCT
Did you plug the head? All that soot building up in the intake runners is likely the worst maintenance issue with the N54 design.

Filippo
Not yet, i'm planning to do that soon, once i have time to clean the valves.
Couldn't agree more, it is the worst maintenance.

Reactions: fmorelli
Jan 5, 2018
South Jersey
Ride
07 335i
I have BMS on the high side and RB valve, car was smoking from time to time, a bit embarrassing and annoying to be honest, went with external PCV and an extra oil catch can and no more smoke, barely once in a month or so.
That's the only reason i went that route, THE SOMKE!

To me that sounds like it is masking a problem. Not fixing it. Basically my question is what is the point of an aftermarket PVC and Catch can if you still have to Walnut Blast regardless? Does the aftermarket PVC help with boost ( obviously it will help with boost if the stock PVC is leaking) on a healthy N54?

D

Deleted member 2204

I think it's a calculation you need to do for yourself. Any kind of solution (catchcan etc) never fully solved the problem. It is however very expensive and brings extra complexity to the system.

I decided that i will probably to have the valved cleaned only once or twice in the lifetime of the car (while its in my possesion anyway). The cost of the catchcan(s) vs 2 wallnut blasts is minimal so i decided to spend it on the blasts (or buy the kit to do it myself)

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Actually I'm going to go out on a limb and say I don't know that your logic works (which is grounded in a cost-centric comparison). I see people all over the forums chasing misfires, timing corrections, threads all over the place on cylinder #5 etc. At only 30k miles on my motor, healthy, highly well maintained, etc ... my runners look like shit. I've had tuning issues also (with index 12s, 1 step colder plugs, stockers running 18psi, everything fresh aside intake runners). Not sure yet if this will clear it up but if you've done any reading on flow bench, rates, et cetera, I'm sure you know that a stalactite-infested cavern is not ideal for airflow. The problem is not doing walnut blasts - simply I doubt you are going to do them, say, every 20k miles (based on my experience). To do it right, you have to clean it BEFORE it becomes a problem, right? It would be nice to minimize the issue or even eliminate it. Why? I think it is one of the unattributable gremlins that plagues this car, from timing corrections to busted ring lands. It's just my 02 cents. For anyone making power, I can't see any rational that all that crap packed in certain intake runners is healthy for tuning for power...

Filippo

Jan 5, 2018
South Jersey
Ride
07 335i
I think it's a calculation you need to do for yourself. Any kind of solution (catchcan etc) never fully solved the problem. It is however very expensive and brings extra complexity to the system.

I decided that i will probably to have the valved cleaned only once or twice in the lifetime of the car (while its in my possesion anyway). The cost of the catchcan(s) vs 2 wallnut blasts is minimal so i decided to spend it on the blasts (or buy the kit to do it myself)

I felt the same way for the past 3 years. I haven't really seen a reason to go with a catch can or PVC after seeing my friend with it and still having to do walnut cleaning. I just came to the conclusion that walnut blast is a maintenance issue just like plugs or oil changes. Every 2 years or so I think is decent.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I felt the same way for the past 3 years. I haven't really seen a reason to go with a catch can or PVC after seeing my friend with it and still having to do walnut cleaning. I just came to the conclusion that walnut blast is a maintenance issue just like plugs or oil changes. Every 2 years or so I think is decent.
When you say catch can, are you talking low-side external PCV, head runners for PCV plugged, as well as a high side catch can setup? In other words, the complete system externalized as the head ports plugged? Just curious ...

I know this subject has been beat to death in places ... yeah I'm late to that party.

Filippo