straight line suspension setup

Jlcn54

Private
Mar 2, 2017
So whats would be the ultimate straight line suspension setup (not drivetrain)? Thinking about getting the AD-E shocks and solid rear subframe and diff bushings, what else do you guys suggest?

Dec 27, 2016
Ride
2010 e90 335i
I have been told to use the stock Spring rates in the rear whether you install coil overs or keep the suspension oem, plus ade drag shocks

If your budget allows it I would personally suggest doing multiple adjusting coil overs. That gives you the ability to completely dial in the car to your driving style and track conditions

Last edited:

Sshec152

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
Aston pa
Solid subframe/diff bushings, diff brace, camber arms, toe arms, guide rods, the bushings at the knuckles, ade drag shocks and most important is a good alignment! Koni yellows up front should be fine. Stock springs in the rear, though I’ve heard people putting 328i springs in the rear to raise it to fit a taller tire
So whats would be the ultimate straight line suspension setup (not drivetrain)? Thinking about getting the AD-E shocks and solid rear subframe and diff bushings, what else do you guys suggest?
id

Jlcn54

Private
Mar 2, 2017
I have been told to use the stock Spring rates in the rear whether you install coil overs or keep the suspension oem, plus ade drag shocks

If your budget allows it I would personally suggest doing multiple adjusting coil overs. That gives you the ability to completely dial in the car to your driving style and track conditions
I heard two way adjustable shocks is the way to go. what coilovers can do that?

• Sad
Reactions: Sshec152

Jlcn54

Private
Mar 2, 2017
Solid subframe/diff bushings, diff brace, camber arms, toe arms, guide rods, the bushings at the knuckles, ade drag shocks and most important is a good alignment! Koni yellows up front should be fine. Stock springs in the rear, though I’ve heard people putting 328i springs in the rear to raise it to fit a taller tire

id
thanks for the response. what kind of alignment would I need?

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Up front you want one way shocks. Zero dampening on rebound and fairly stiff on compression. Out back you want the opposite. If you can, you want to lower the spring rates all around but use longer springs to maintain ride height.

You go for weight transfer. You *want* the car to move around on launch. Also, you can delete the front sway bar as it's dead weight if you are only going straight, but the rear needs to stay to make sure the car squats evenly.

No need to point out you want 3" wide wheels up front with skinny bias ply tires and roughly 10.5-11.5" wheels out back with as much bias ply rubber you can fit.

You'll never make a corner with the above setup, it'd be dangerous as hell on the street, but it's what all drag cars do.

• Agree
Reactions: boostE92d

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
FYI, There's is a traction/drivetrain sub-forum

The Ad-e shocks are double adjustable and Strange DA shocks have a good rep in the domestic world as being a solid bang for the buck set up.

Double adjustables will allow you to control how and by how much the rear of the car squats then lifts on hard accel. It's easy to confuse a break in traction on the lift out of the squat, rather then the squat itself on this platform. DA shocks let you slow that lift by adjusting rebound stiffness directly.
There is just too much to go in to as far as suspension tuning but the least amount of energy absorbed by soft bushings in suspension connections the more energy you have to transfer torque forward.
1. tires
2. tires
3. sub frame bushings
4. toe arms w/bearings
5. control arms
You want minimal camber in the rear while allowing clearance. Larger the contact patch the better.

• Informative
Reactions: boostE92d