T-Mobile SyncUP Drive work with JB4?

rhodesman

Corporal
Mar 21, 2017
Maryland
rhodesman.com
Ride
2010 BMW E88 N54 135i
As the title suggests, I'm looking to add a wifi hotspot to my car and was considering the SyncUP Drive from T-Mobile. It's an OBD hotspot which means it wont bother taking up yet ANOTHER USB plug in my car and has other features that I lost with BMW Assist like vehicle tracking and monitoring. Problem is that I have a JB4 G5 installed and although I run a custom tune, the JB4 is required as a boost controller and engine monitoring system via Map3.

With this OBD Hotspot installed, will the JB4:
  1. Allow the hotspot to have power so that it can turn on?
  2. Think an OBD reader is plugged in and auto-switch itself to Map0?
  3. Allow the OBD hotspot to monitor vehicle speed, fuel levels, & other features it comes with if the two previous questions are not an issue?
The last question is really a feeler to know how much/little extra features I might be able to have with this device, if previous questions allow.

The device in question is this: T-Mobile SyncUP Drive

thanks for any help/insight you might have. :)

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I looked at this also, but couldn't justify the line expense for the limited features which boiled down to nothing more than a hotspot in the car, which I can provide with my phone. I'm not sure how well it will play with the JB4, but you'll have to install an extension cable because it may not fit under the cover.

rhodesman

Corporal
Mar 21, 2017
Maryland
rhodesman.com
Ride
2010 BMW E88 N54 135i
I looked at this also, but couldn't justify the line expense for the limited features which boiled down to nothing more than a hotspot in the car, which I can provide with my phone. I'm not sure how well it will play with the JB4, but you'll have to install an extension cable because it may not fit under the cover.
Yeah... I think I'm going to do the same. I have an extra iPhone 5S I've been using as a JB4 Mobile screen and added my unused iPad sim card to it so I can basically track my car. So now, I'll just turn it into a full featured GSM modem! LOL.