The M57....BMW's best kept secret

ccbsecu

Corporal
Nov 26, 2017
Ride
135i
Yes there is already a 335d in a coupe, but it isn’t available for the US market. This car was only sold in Europe. I wanted a coupe and the only way was to import one from Europe or build my own.
A guy here in Atlanta just finished this...first E91 M57 in the US. Superb build, and it’s for sale.
D00565BE-6985-48C2-B6F1-49A27940EABC.jpeg
3CB85AE5-7468-4A9F-8528-997EAC13F56F.jpeg
AE23DD56-3041-4774-9750-FD813F7DFE74.jpeg
AE23DD56-3041-4774-9750-FD813F7DFE74.jpeg
774364CB-0584-4C87-BE55-F7921D41200F.jpeg
B61B0B73-7ECB-4E40-A334-0574BAABCEEE.jpeg
E8E2D38E-7BEF-4715-8531-9ED9342D4D9A.jpeg

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
ccbsecu I find this discussion very interesting
could you tell me more about the fuel supply please?
the pump is it a cp3 r90 stock?
have you changed the low pressure pump in the tank reservoir, or put a second pump?

Freddy

Dec 7, 2018
Ride
2011 335d
Hi everybody, Just bought a 2011, 335d and am wondering about the swirl flap delete. Can anybody tell me if it has them and if it does what size delete plugs do i need?
it has 74kms on it.
Also whats the carbon cleaning i keep hearing about or walnut blast?

Thanks

ccbsecu

Corporal
Nov 26, 2017
Ride
135i
Hi everybody, Just bought a 2011, 335d and am wondering about the swirl flap delete. Can anybody tell me if it has them and if it does what size delete plugs do i need?
it has 74kms on it.

Thanks
Contact Whitbread Performance Innovations and snag his SF delete kit. He is also a fantastic resource for other parts at a fair price.

ccbsecu

Corporal
Nov 26, 2017
Ride
135i
it has 74kms on it.

Thanks
Also - the carbon cleaning will clean out the intake manifold junk from miles of recirculated exhaust, and the walnut blast will handle the build up in/around the valves.

Tiago

May 14, 2018
Ride
BMW E61 535d
Is there any kit to upgrade HPFP Bosh CP3 R90:

1. Conversion kit from uprated bosh pump, R110?

2. Improved internals to increase CP3 R90 fuel capacity? Something like you see on VAG TFSI HPFP kits.

alex sol

Mar 21, 2019
Ride
335d
Reading with interest. I've had my 2009 335d for three years now and put about 30,000 kms on... had noX sensor error and 200 mile countdown to shut down so tuned JR with egr and no more def with no dpf /scr delete. then had dpf blocked. 160 milibar at idle vs 10 milibar pressure so went dpf delete and retune... then motor made all kinds of noise and seized on way home. i didn't even put my foot down on my newly tuned 339hp 542 ft-lb (crank hp not wheel hp) setup as i had vacuum leak and taking it easy driving home. the real genesis of problem being the D ran out of oil on way home when my kid was driving and found the oil line #1 (turbo to block) failed and drained the oil ... messy and likely bearing damage???

long story short, i'm looking at possible engine pull and inspect then rebuild to more or less stock as I'm more than happy with the hp/tq numbers... and the way the D handles its daily work... for fun i have e46 m3 and 964 (which i did engine rebuild in my home garage four times - first two times did it wrong, third time left out a plug and mashed the crank and then fourth time is a charm!!)

really encouraged by ccbsecu's work and will chime in or start my own thread... question here is: can i do the engine pull in my garage. i did this with 300Z turbo (engine swap) in buddy's garage. drop exhaust, support engine, disconnect all the lines (electrical, oil, coolant, power steering etc), separate transmission, lower onto motorcycle jack, lift engine... strip down... am i missing anything? how difficult is this without hoist? ie: is it possible/impossible?

ccbsecu

Corporal
Nov 26, 2017
Ride
135i
Reading with interest. I've had my 2009 335d for three years now and put about 30,000 kms on... had noX sensor error and 200 mile countdown to shut down so tuned JR with egr and no more def with no dpf /scr delete. then had dpf blocked. 160 milibar at idle vs 10 milibar pressure so went dpf delete and retune... then motor made all kinds of noise and seized on way home. i didn't even put my foot down on my newly tuned 339hp 542 ft-lb (crank hp not wheel hp) setup as i had vacuum leak and taking it easy driving home. the real genesis of problem being the D ran out of oil on way home when my kid was driving and found the oil line #1 (turbo to block) failed and drained the oil ... messy and likely bearing damage???

long story short, i'm looking at possible engine pull and inspect then rebuild to more or less stock as I'm more than happy with the hp/tq numbers... and the way the D handles its daily work... for fun i have e46 m3 and 964 (which i did engine rebuild in my home garage four times - first two times did it wrong, third time left out a plug and mashed the crank and then fourth time is a charm!!)

really encouraged by ccbsecu's work and will chime in or start my own thread... question here is: can i do the engine pull in my garage. i did this with 300Z turbo (engine swap) in buddy's garage. drop exhaust, support engine, disconnect all the lines (electrical, oil, coolant, power steering etc), separate transmission, lower onto motorcycle jack, lift engine... strip down... am i missing anything? how difficult is this without hoist? ie: is it possible/impossible?
If you have pulled motors before and reinstalled without issue - this isn’t much different. I can offer most drop the motor and trans as a single unit.

alex sol

Mar 21, 2019
Ride
335d
thanks for the message. i've done a honda civic, porsche 964 and nissan 300z... to drop the trans and motor as a single unit, you'd have to drop the subframe in front no? that seems daunting... is it just a bunch of nuts and bolts, engine mounts etc.

i recently did the 2003 m3 subframe reinforcement in the rear. which was drop exhaust, diff, rear subframe to get to the fix.... similar deal? i paid a shop to do this...

alex sol

Mar 21, 2019
Ride
335d
okay just realized the front beam comes off and not overly difficult to remove engine.. rebuilding another question!! do we leave: power steering, a/c, DDE area alone ? any step by step DIY for this? do i have to make one? i'm reading the Bentley for 335i but of course lots of differences...

jason256

Apr 11, 2019
Ohio
Ride
2011 335d
Hi there ccbsecu, this is an awesome project. I am really curious to see how those pistons work out. I have a question about how you plumbed in that EFR turbo. I'm running hybrid turbos right now but I've never been able to get more than 430hp even with 1000cc/min of methanol. I have all the usual deletes, an ATM intercooler and intake, R90 hpfp, etc. and I'm pretty sure the low pressure turbo is what's holding me back. The EFR7670 or even the S200SX-E look like they would be a really good fit performance wise. The thing I have never had a good answer for is how to plumb in a turbine changeover valve. On the stock setup that valve is part of the LP turbo exhaust housing. I've considered cutting up a factory turbo and welding on a flange to make an adapter with the valve in it but I don't really like the idea of a weld on cast iron at the temperatures and pressures involved. How did you handle it?

ccbsecu

Corporal
Nov 26, 2017
Ride
135i
Hi there ccbsecu, this is an awesome project. I am really curious to see how those pistons work out. I have a question about how you plumbed in that EFR turbo. I'm running hybrid turbos right now but I've never been able to get more than 430hp even with 1000cc/min of methanol. I have all the usual deletes, an ATM intercooler and intake, R90 hpfp, etc. and I'm pretty sure the low pressure turbo is what's holding me back. The EFR7670 or even the S200SX-E look like they would be a really good fit performance wise. The thing I have never had a good answer for is how to plumb in a turbine changeover valve. On the stock setup that valve is part of the LP turbo exhaust housing. I've considered cutting up a factory turbo and welding on a flange to make an adapter with the valve in it but I don't really like the idea of a weld on cast iron at the temperatures and pressures involved. How did you handle it?
The turbo and related plumbing has not yet been fabricated. The first run of pistons are in hand and being machined now.

The idea is to make the manifold for the first one's - and possibly have them cast going forward if there is enough interest.

jason256

Apr 11, 2019
Ohio
Ride
2011 335d
That makes sense. If you're interested, I can PM you a cad model I put together for a cast manifold with a stock small turbo flange on top and a divided T4 on the bottom. One half of the T4 flange goes into the manifold and the other half goes up to the small turbo's outlet. My thinking is that you could use a T4 quick spool valve as the changeover valve into an single scroll turbo housing. All the flanges are based on real measurements, but I haven't modeled how the turbos or quick spool valve sit relative to each other to make sure there's no interference. The next step is probably to 3d print a mock up and do some test fitting.

Razgadka

Sep 11, 2018
Ride
E92(d)
It’s been a long while from my last post about my 335d Coupe project, but I’m into the home stretch. Most of the electrical is worked out. I have my 2 year project nearing completion! I’ve kept it as factory as I could with all the emissions intact. I took it out for a 3 hour drive and was surprised to get 39 mpg. This is a wicked fun car! Shout out to both BPMSport for all his help in programming (has not been easy). Also a mention to the guys at AA Rodreguez, I’m not alone in my conversation project. They’re going to get a fair amount of my income in the next year.

Attachments

• 24ECC357-B88C-4F17-ACD5-31F5AA4E92D4.jpeg
    24ECC357-B88C-4F17-ACD5-31F5AA4E92D4.jpeg
    384.8 KB · Views: 124

Mikewysz

Jun 17, 2019
Ride
2011 BMW 335d
Finally found a good thread with a lot of info on the M57, just recently bought a 2011 335d on the east coast with 82k miles. Check engine turned on during the ride back to my house from the dealer (4 hours) and after reading codes found I had to replace thermostat which went bad, and also Knox sensors were replaced (under extended warranty from BMW) Have yet to get it inspected since my check engine light turned on during the ride to the DMV in Jersey, as soon as that is fixed for whatever we find it to be, I’ll be deleted everything and tuning the car, once I pass emissions. My question to guys is who’s the best tuner for the M57? I have been looking into Malone and JR, anyone have one of those and have any input about them? Or any other tuners?

Razgadka

Sep 11, 2018
Ride
E92(d)
I would reach out to BPM sport and talk to him about a custom tune, the guys at AA Rodreguez would also have many options.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Finally found a good thread with a lot of info on the M57, just recently bought a 2011 335d on the east coast with 82k miles. Check engine turned on during the ride back to my house from the dealer (4 hours) and after reading codes found I had to replace thermostat which went bad, and also Knox sensors were replaced (under extended warranty from BMW) Have yet to get it inspected since my check engine light turned on during the ride to the DMV in Jersey, as soon as that is fixed for whatever we find it to be, I’ll be deleted everything and tuning the car, once I pass emissions. My question to guys is who’s the best tuner for the M57? I have been looking into Malone and JR, anyone have one of those and have any input about them? Or any other tuners?

Well people can tune through the OBD2 remotely now so you don't have to send your ECU in if you don't want to.

The M57 tuning scene is a big fragmented as far as the available info regarding tuning in my opinion.

My custom tune was done by NorthEast Autobahn in Walpole MA for instance via OBD2 port.

Last edited: