Time to buy bearings, do they call come in a set?

torbearfree

Private
Jan 2, 2020
I need rod and crank bearings. I will be using King bearings.

Vivid racing says the crank (main) bearings are a set, great
Vivid racing says the rod bearings are a set, ok

Raceeng says the rod bearings come as a pair so 3 sets would be needed.

How much do I need to order so that I have a compete rod set and complete main set?

Raceeng
Vivid main
Vivid rod

Last edited:

torbearfree

Private
Jan 2, 2020
Anyone? I would like to be able to drive my car again someday. I cant move forward without bearings.

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Anyone? I would like to be able to drive my car again someday. I cant move forward without bearings.

People in this thread not very good at math.

How many rods do you have? 6. How many pairs of bearings per box? 2. How many boxes of rod bearings do you need:
6/2=3

Answer: 3 boxes of rod bearings (12 shells).

Crank bearings typically come as a set because they are not all the same size and there is a thrust bearing in there.

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Since those rod bearings cross reference to the n20 as well, I wouldn't doubt if they packaged them in 2 rod sets. That way the 4 cylinder guys aren't buying 2 extra rod pairs.

There shouldn't be any remainder when dividing an even number by an even number lol

torbearfree

Private
Jan 2, 2020
If only the descriptions of the bearings would say how many set(s) are included I could figure it out. Raceeng says 2 pairs per set so I would have to order 3 set but they are out of stock.

colo_evo

Corporal
Jun 6, 2017
Ride
E90 335i MT
Typically I see oem bearings come as a pair(top shell and bottom shell) while aftermarket bearings come as an entire set.

Reactions: AndyW

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
If only the descriptions of the bearings would say how many set(s) are included I could figure it out. Raceeng says 2 pairs per set so I would have to order 3 set but they are out of stock.

Price can be a good indicator. Should cost like $30 per "pair" (two rods) or about $100 for a set. Summit drops ships from King for the best price but seems like the demand is high because they always have a back-order. Ebay prices are jacked up a bit but the availability is instant. In a pinch I've orders bearings from Russia via DHL Global express ($60 or so extra) and they came in about 3 days lol.

OE BMW bearings are usually priced per shell. There is a separate part number for top and bottom (red/blue are a standard pair). It's like $20-30 per shell. Ends up costing you about $300 to buy the BMW bearings. In theory using BMW bearing would produce more consistent clearances as BMW specifies different color shells on each journal, per the crankshaft lettering, to account for rod and crank variations.

torbearfree

Private
Jan 2, 2020
I looked on King terrible online catalog and they say 2 pair but if you click on the actual product number they say 1 pair. I have to call Vivid today. I called Raceeng and I talked to Rod. He told me King main bearings are on a nationwide shortage. Earliest he thinks he could get them is April. Geez.

Cruizinmax

Corporal
Jul 18, 2018
Ride
09 335i
There shouldn't be any remainder when dividing an even number by an even number lol
The question was whether rod bearings came in a set for the complete engine as many times they do. I was simply pointing out the reasoning that these were sold in 2 rod sets. If you re-read I don't think anyone is "bad at math" here.

Reactions: Bnks334

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
The question was whether rod bearings came in a set for the complete engine as many times they do. I was simply pointing out the reasoning that these were sold in 2 rod sets. If you re-read I don't think anyone is "bad at math" here.

Yes, I read your comment to mean the opposite.

r0nd3L

Private
Dec 2, 2019
Ride
135i

Sorry, I snagged the last set of bearings from Raceeng, Calico coated ones :)

They came in a single Calico labeled package, so I cannot help you to determine exactly how these are delivered, but I think it's safe bet that you need to order quantity of 3.

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
Most companies will sell them as a set i.e. rods as one set and the main as another. The most important part is knowing what color bearings you need before ordering them, this is need for the correct clearance.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Main Bearing Set OEM: Kolbenschmidt 77947600
OE Alternative Set from Mahle: 081 HS 21721 000

Rod Bearing Set OEM (STD): Kolbenschmidt 77967600
Alternative King Bearings CR 222SV is always packed 2 pairs per package. If you buy a set you get three packages.

Reactions: Reformatt