matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
This morning, I was minding my own business and driving along when a Mustang 5.0 came by and asked to do a little racing, so I obliged and left him behind. Unfortunately, I looked down and realized temps were not yet 160F operating range. Felt a little slowdown/hesitation while WOT and RPMs going high, then it went into high gear finally and left the poor guy. But after a few minutes the classic white smoke tail pipe arose and that was when I realized I blew a turbo seal.

Why am I sure that it is the seal?
1. stock turbos - cannot be head gasket at that psi - 22psi or so.
2. it is smoke and not burning steaming coolant.
3. only happens on acceleration and deceleration at specific rpm1500-2000 ish rpm.
4.when car cools down, zero smoke, only when hot enough does smoke show up.

Here's the weird part... it was in the morning that this happened and when I finally drove home for the late noon, the smoke had stopped. So I am totally confused but I suspect those stockers are on the way out anyways due to the high psi I been driving for the last couple of years.

I been looking at Pure Cast n54, Steamspeed 19t, Vargas GC 2.0 as options. I was considering Dynamic Autoworks but they are out of the running since there have been incidents on spoolstreet and their history is almost nonexistent in the n54 world.

I am looking to get to DD 650whp or less... I will settle for 620-630whp. I don't have upgraded internals so will keep it below 700whp, even though in theory, my PD Transmission is rated for nominal 720whp/tq.

So if anyone has any recommendations on which ones to get, I'm all ears. I didn't think I would need this so soon, but it's been a good run with those stockers. Everything must end.

Thanks, looking foward to your opinions.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Love my hydras . And if not then rb gf is way too go. If pure I not sure their cast is good idea plus in don't believe they are true td04.
Are you sure it's not crack in valve cover or pcv issue?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Cannot be vc, that is almost new and rb pcv kit closed port holes two catch cans. Oil in tail pipe and just got towed home due to injector cut off 029D fault.

Tried restarting and would not run for more than 5 seconds.

Plan is to replace injectors, hpfp and turbos.

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
If your wastegates are good, consider just doing a chra stage 1 swap and be happy you don't have to deal with all the hassles of getting to a reliable daily driveable +600wph.

I mean how many in here, who is not a vendor, have actually achieved that with twins, and how long did it take, including waiting for parts, troubleshooting, boost leaks, fueling problems, custom tuning etc etc etc... Lets be honest.

Most people I know have either spent more than a year trying to achieve that or have blown up something after having achieved it. Heck my car still isn't 100% after one year of solid efforts and Im barely touching 400whp. I love the process of building and optimizing, but for others who don't, please consider that a simple stage 2 and exhaust gets you much more value and longetivity for your money and time...

Just saying, and sorry for going off topic. :tearsofjoy:

Screenshot_2019-11-13-23-19-28-299_org.mozilla.firefox_beta.png

• Agree
Reactions: Bmac and Torgus

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
My vote would be RB GFs if you want twins.

Otherwise a single is going to be the easiest way to hit your 650WHP goal reliably.

Reactions: langsbr

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
45grand not including purchase and I was hitting high 5s before meth so I should be over 6 but dont know for fact

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
45grand not including purchase and I was hitting high 5s before meth so I should be over 6 but dont know for fact

I looked into the GF and called RB directly but nobody answered. Left a message and continued to research and found that as per Rob's comments, there are minor fitment issues. So I just went with Pure Hi Flow Stage 2 from Extreme Powerhouse website. Since the car gave up the ghost this morning, I had no choice but to put on my credit card. : (

10 day build time. So in a couple of weeks I suppose it will be here. That is ALOT of übering...holy shit this is going to hurt the wallet.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
If your wastegates are good, consider just doing a chra stage 1 swap and be happy you don't have to deal with all the hassles of getting to a reliable daily driveable +600wph.

I mean how many in here, who is not a vendor, have actually achieved that with twins, and how long did it take, including waiting for parts, troubleshooting, boost leaks, fueling problems, custom tuning etc etc etc... Lets be honest.

Most people I know have either spent more than a year trying to achieve that or have blown up something after having achieved it. Heck my car still isn't 100% after one year of solid efforts and Im barely touching 400whp. I love the process of building and optimizing, but for others who don't, please consider that a simple stage 2 and exhaust gets you much more value and longetivity for your money and time...

Just saying, and sorry for going off topic. :tearsofjoy:

View attachment 32924

I have no desire to swap chra's. Just pop in entire new turbos and call it a day. I doubt I will have any problems, all components have be prepped for this very eventuality. Waiting for turbos to go south to upgrade...now they are gone. So it begins. Pure Hi Flows have just been ordered and will aim for 600 to 630whp. so as to leave headroom for the hi flows. Did not want the DD since they would be working overtime to achieve even 600 even.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I looked into the GF and called RB directly but nobody answered. Left a message and continued to research and found that as per Rob's comments, there are minor fitment issues. So I just went with Pure Hi Flow Stage 2 from Extreme Powerhouse website. Since the car gave up the ghost this morning, I had no choice but to put on my credit card. : (

10 day build time. So in a couple of weeks I suppose it will be here. That is ALOT of übering...holy shit this is going to hurt the wallet.
Shit black Friday is right here dude should wait few days and there cast turbos could prob be overnighted

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Shit black Friday is right here dude should wait few days and there cast turbos could prob be overnighted

Yeah...I asked about that and no vendor was offering BF sales on Turbo units. Plus I ordered Hi Flows so they need 10 days build time anyways. If I had the luxury of waiting...I would have done more, but shit hit the fan this morning. Tomorrow new injectors, hpfp, hi and lo pressure sensors, new plugs, new set of o2 sensors come in... will do those first and prep for install.

Shit...when it rains it pours. Anyone ever see the 029D Cylinder Injector Cut off - error? This caused the car to literally not respond to throttle input and I coasted to the shoulder lane. Then erased error and tried to restart to no avail. So I am thinking the injectors are totally clogged or too much fuel in cylinders etc... will see tonight when inspecting spark plugs. The oil in the tail pipes after the seals blew is noticeable. It smokes on acceleration and is DEFINITELY not the head gasket or coolant. Straight up oil smoke. So I don't know how this would cause injectors to shut off.... any input from anyone?

Also...no idea how the hell I am going to clean the exhaust system after the new turbo install. There's gotta be shitloads of oil in those pipes and baffle insulation.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
That's like superknock code it's just disabling the cylinder. You could have just seriously lowered octane by ingesting oil most likely . I thought your injectors were new I wouldnt do them again.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
That's like superknock code it's just disabling the cylinder. You could have just seriously lowered octane by ingesting oil most likely . I thought your injectors were new I wouldnt do them again.

They are probably a year and half maybe two years old. I bet you are 100% right about oil ingestion. That turbo seal must have been totally effed up. How does the oil get ingested? do I need to clean the inside of the cylinders or what not? And if so...how?

but also these items are under FCP warranty and I just have to pay for shipping return:
1. injectors
2. hpfp
3. all sensors

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
They are probably a year and half maybe two years old. I bet you are 100% right about oil ingestion. That turbo seal must have been totally effed up. How does the oil get ingested? do I need to clean the inside of the cylinders or what not? And if so...how?

but also these items are under FCP warranty and I just have to pay for shipping return:
1. injectors
2. hpfp
3. all sensors
No not at all your rings will scrape any excess and it will be gone asap only thing I would clean are my outlets ,fmic ,charge pipe etc encase it pooled.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
No not at all your rings will scrape any excess and it will be gone asap only thing I would clean are my outlets ,fmic ,charge pipe etc encase it pooled.

OH SHIT... you're right. Brand new Wagner Intercooler now probably has assloads of blown in oil. Shit...gonna have to run some hard core degreaser through that thing and blow air through it for hours.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I know you're in a time crunch but if you have 10 days lead time anyways, if really give the rb GFS another look.

Pure has a good rep but they are still td03 based from what I understand and the GFS are crazy nice, and make absolutely nutty power. Try nearly 600 on pump gas, almost 700 on e85, and not even on times that are pushing the limits.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
I have a couple of questions for OP.
What trans are you running ?
Why are you looking for that specific WHP ?
What goals ?
Roll race ?
Will you 1/4 mile this car ?
There are many factors to consider. You can have a 650 whp car and get smoked if you like running light to light by a car with way less power.
What will suspension mods look like ? Traction ?
If the car cant hook, all extra power means nothing. Just look at hellcats getting smoked light to light. No traction and shitty drivers.
What fuel would you be running ? E93s can definitely benefit by having plenty of torque, not just whp. E93s are 4100 lbs with nobody in it.
Mine is right at about 600whp and 560lb ft torque. And I have already broken 2 axles. 1 stock, 1 Mfactory/ YCW.
Neither was launch, just rolling. Things to consider, more power, more risk.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Torgus