matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Are you doing short drives? I had that issue in my E46 when doing short drives. It would get a build up of that white milky crud. Let the engine fully warm up and that would stop happening.

Nah, it isn't the short drive thing. This does happen on short drives and in cold weather but not this time. This has happened before and there was no head gasket leak at all, and I drive 25 miles to work and back. Most likely it is injector leaking, and I definitely know the turbo seals blow because there was a popping sensation when it happened and minutes later white smoke...kept driving until it totally shut down and gave me the injector cut off fault. And this is less than a week after it happened that this cottage cheese material appeared... I even drained and cleaned both catch cans a week ago on the same gas tank...so this is definitely turbo seal related or injector.

I have read of a few cases on injector failure causing cottage cheese and turbo issues... seems like this is the same situation.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Nah, it isn't the short drive thing. This does happen on short drives and in cold weather but not this time. This has happened before and there was no head gasket leak at all, and I drive 25 miles to work and back. Most likely it is injector leaking, and I definitely know the turbo seals blow because there was a popping sensation when it happened and minutes later white smoke...kept driving until it totally shut down and gave me the injector cut off fault. And this is less than a week after it happened that this cottage cheese material appeared... I even drained and cleaned both catch cans a week ago on the same gas tank...so this is definitely turbo seal related or injector.

I have read of a few cases on injector failure causing cottage cheese and turbo issues... seems like this is the same situation.
Hook up Winkpf and monitor those injectors if you can.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Oh dam! Well I don't have much more to offer. Maybe one of the more proficient trouble shooters will assist you.

Yeah...and one more thing that makes me think injectors is that a couple of weeks before this the car mpg was absurd...like lamborghini mpg...13mpg driving like normal, grandma style. All point to messed up injectors.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
What injectors do you have in there now (index, miles ... knowing you they are BMW OE)

Filippo

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
What injectors do you have in there now (index, miles ... knowing you they are BMW OE)

Filippo

index 12 from FCP euro. Probably two years old now. However, they probably went south due to the horrifying turbo seal conditions. Heard a pop, then smoke in tail pipe, drove for a week and they went out and car told me to go to hell.

Caveat...I am a very special person when it comes to my car - as you have seen...I try to diagnose with best case scenario and it sometimes ends up being worst case... as we all have seen in the M Factory Differential episode. So I appears I am cursed when it comes to my car. Destined to get raped financially by each episode. But again... as with many of you, financial logic is not in my dna when it comes to cars...rather stubbornness and defiance rules.

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Im asking not disagreeing but how would turbo seal mess up injector. And I would send to Blackstone plus cant u pull injectors and test spray pattern and for leaks out of car? I would be very concerned with my bearings if injector is that bad, especially you have new block. I really hoping it just was the turbo burning so much oil up it made afr go rich as fuck and choked engine causing super knock code. Do you have log by any chance?

Reactions: fmorelli

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Im asking not disagreeing but how would turbo seal mess up injector. And I would send to Blackstone plus cant u pull injectors and test spray pattern and for leaks out of car? I would be very concerned with my bearings if injector is that bad, especially you have new block. I really hoping it just was the turbo burning so much oil up it made afr go rich as fuck and choked engine causing super knock code. Do you have log by any chance?

I couldn't tell you how. I .not not saying one thing caused the other. I am saying both my seals and injectors may be bad.
1. I know my seals went because I saw smoke after WOT before proper temps were reached. And there was a slight popping sensation.
2. I only suspect injectors are bad because gas mpg went to 13mpg two weeks prior and there was a cylinder injector cuttoff fault when car gave up. No fuel pump codes at all. So I figure may be injectors leaky...just a suspicion. Today will pull plugs to smell fuel.

May be injectors are fine and cutoff fault was due to super low octane as you suggested because catch can showed cotttage cheese and oil cap also. So moisture definitely is getting inside enough to form cheese. No sweet smell in tailpipe or engine. Coolant levels same and oil appears clean except for gas smell and very waterlike viscosity. Won't know till after car is dissassembled. Will document.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
The metal was literally invisible a day ago. This shows that it was water moisture and not coolant. Coolant does
20191116_100202.jpg
not evaporate that quickly and stays around for weeks if spilled on garage.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
PROGRESS REPORT SO FAR.

1. Internals are pristine condition.
2. Injectors not leaking.
3. Low side catch can was clogged with moisture oil combo but evaporated in a day to almost nothing.
4. High side catch can has zero moisture and zero milky cream cheese.
5. Spark plugs pristine
6. Intake manifold clean.
7. Intake valves pristine.
8. Throttle body pristine
9. Internal bore scope video inspection shows pristine cylinder and pistons on all six.

Found cause of injector shutoff- throttle body feed line was glogged with creamy cheese stuff so car went to safety mode and shut off injector. See attached pics.
20191116_141207.jpg
20191116_141324.jpg
20191116_141247.jpg
20191116_141224.jpg
20191116_143005.jpg
20191116_142945.jpg
20191116_150116.jpg

Last edited:

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Do you run your catch cans into your throttle body?

Only the RB low side.
Found the culprit of cottage cheese in RB low side catch can and throttle body....pcv connection was the popping sound! Yeeehaw! No issues! But upgraded turbos in any case!. See pic attached!.

15739457093448082991867760838941.jpg

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Glad to see you've worked that out. @Omar@VaderSolutions sells a double o-ring'd 10 AN fitting that goes there. Allowed me to run AN lines to the catch can which have more aesthetic options and then put the flapper on the other side of the catch can out of the way.

It has never moved around on me and doesn't sweat a drop. Although, I suspect the climate plays a role in that.

The other option is the one with the clip sold by a couple people. Seem to hear people say it leaks oil though.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Glad to see you've worked that out. @Omar@VaderSolutions sells a double o-ring'd 10 AN fitting that goes there. Allowed me to run AN lines to the catch can which have more aesthetic options and then put the flapper on the other side of the catch can out of the way.

It has never moved around on me and doesn't sweat a drop. Although, I suspect the climate plays a role in that.

The other option is the one with the clip sold by a couple people. Seem to hear people say it leaks oil though.
Just ordered your link. Looks like will ship after New Year. Wtf...

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Just ordered your link. Looks like will ship after New Year. Wtf...

ROFL - I was gonna make a joke and say "if you ever get it" since Omar seems to use the "AD-E style" shipping method. At least now he tells you up front he doesn't ship for weeks on end.

• Funny
Reactions: Torgus