Tips 'N Tricks

Boorda

Corporal
Jul 15, 2018
Royse City, TX
futemire.com
Ride
328xi, 335xi M Sport
I didn't see any other general tips and tricks threads so I figured I would get one started.
Purpose of this thread is to post quick tips and tricks you use when doing anything related to working on your car.
For tips and tricks related to coding please refer to Coding Tips & Tricks thread.
Try to limit it to quick and easy tips, more elaborate ones should probably be developed into a tutorial and added as a resource via the Resources tab above.

Last edited:

Boorda

Corporal
Jul 15, 2018
Royse City, TX
futemire.com
Ride
328xi, 335xi M Sport
I'll start of with a seemingly obvious, but not so obvious tips when working on your car and having to disconnect the battery.
I see a lot of horror stories of people closing the truck once the battery has been disconnected.

Here are couple of tips to avoid trunk closing or how to deal with a locked trunk with a dead or disconnected battery.

Prior to disconnecting the battery:
  • Put your rear seats down (if you have folding seats) so you can reach in and pull the emergency truck release.
  • Put a towel over the trunk lid hitch.
  • Best Option - Engage the latch to the locked position, when finished pull emergency trunk release to allow trunk to close again.
    1547826867410.png
If Trunk Closes when battery is Disconnected or on Dead Battery:
  • Connect a battery charger to the positive and negative posts in the engine bay to give temporary power.
  • Release emergency trunk release via crawling into truck through down back seat.

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces