Tips on removing turbo oil lines?

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
My son and I are removing the turbo lines from his car he is parting out.

The tubos are off, all the screws are out of the flange that holds the lines.

These fittings are very stubborn and trying to figure out to get leverage on them without bending a pipe has been a struggle.

Any tips on how to pull these out without damaging them? They are disconnected from the car, just the turbo side is being difficult.

chadillac2000

Corporal
Oct 26, 2017
NC
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
Not sure how others got them out so cleanly, but I had a hell of a time with mine as well.

I tried to be gentle for like 10 minutes getting them out, but eventually had to use more force and ended up bending a few. Luckily I was going single so it didn't matter, but I would have been forced to order new ones more than likely if I had remained with twins.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
They need to come straight out more or less. I lifted the sides with the screw tab literally like a hair and got a thin screw driver under them for leverage and just carefully wiggled in all directions to walk them out. Don't put much pressure on the tab with the screwdriver. Let the wiggle do the work and just use the screwdriver to keep them moving outward. A shot of PB or WD40 wouldn't hurt to let the o-rings slide easier.

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
You need something that can pull on both sides at the same time. I took two flat heads and pulled at the same time on both sides and they popped out. One of them I couldn't get that way so I took some channel locks and locked it on the outer circle line and pulled and it came out. Just make sure the channel locks are on just enough to hold it and not crush the outer circle. Just remember these lines are only held by small Gasket rings.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoQuarter

MattGu40

Private
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335xi FBO
vise grip for wiggling and a pry bar on the vice grip. be careful not to bend the tabs or damage the pipe they are quite flimsy units

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Got them off. Helped just to know that they are indeed difficult to remove and takes patience.

Lots of wiggles and prying with small screwdriver

Reactions: The Convert