Turbosmart BOV

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Just put this nice Turbosmart Gen V raceport BOV in today. Also bought the spring kit and using the purple spring. Purchased from Summit racing. It's so much nicer than the knock off Tial type I had.

The pos rebranded mmp bov that was bought from mmp Chinese knock off incorporated came apart and the plunger was sucked through the charge pipe, through the throttle body (damaging the butterfly/ throttle plate), through the intake manifold and into the number 6 cylinder port in the head. Thankfully all that was damaged was the throttle body.

Car runs fantastic now. Nice and smooth. :)

Attachments

• 20200822_183202.jpg
    20200822_183202.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 189

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Very nice!

I installed a Turbosmart on a buddies Ecoboost Mustang and was impressed with the quality and the small size.

I didn't know there was a package for sale for the N54!

Looks great

Reactions: TheFixer

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Very nice!

I installed a Turbosmart on a buddies Ecoboost Mustang and was impressed with the quality and the small size.

I didn't know there was a package for sale for the N54!

Looks great

Thanks. I really like it. Top quality for sure. As long as it's the "female" version it fits on the Tial style flange. I accidently got the male. The male version comes with a flange though. I just had to cut the Tial flange off the charge pipe and weld theirs on.

Make sure you go to the turbosmart website for the correct part numbers for their female BOV's because some vendors, like Summit, won't specify in the product description the type. That's how I ended up with the male version.

Spring choice kinda depends on what your vacuum is. It comes with a blue spring. That's the heavy 18 to 22 in hg spring. It wouldn't open with that one. So I went with the outer purple 9 in hg spring. Works great with that one.

If you want more precision you can run combo inner and outer spring setups to fine tune the BOV.

Spring change is rather easy too. I leave the BOV on the pipe. Push down on the top and spin the retaining ring off with the tool that comes in the spring kit. Then carefully lift off.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Thanks. I really like it. Top quality for sure. As long as it's the "female" version it fits on the Tial style flange. I accidently got the male. The male version comes with a flange though. I just had to cut the Tial flange off the charge pipe and weld theirs on.

Make sure you go to the turbosmart website for the correct part numbers for their female BOV's because some vendors, like Summit, won't specify in the product description the type. That's how I ended up with the male version.

Spring choice kinda depends on what your vacuum is. It comes with a blue spring. That's the heavy 18 to 22 in hg spring. It wouldn't open with that one. So I went with the outer purple 9 in hg spring. Works great with that one.

If you want more precision you can run combo inner and outer spring setups to fine tune the BOV.

Spring change is rather easy too. I leave the BOV on the pipe. Push down on the top and spin the retaining ring off with the tool that comes in the spring kit. Then carefully lift off.

Fantastic information here. I wasn't fully aware that TiAL pipes would fit Turbosmart. cool!

Did you test wastegates for the 9in/hg spring? I have a mityvac but haven't tried it yet to test for springrate of BOV.

Do you have the link to the item you purchased? I have an old VRSF charge pipe that is bent and would love to explore new options. BMS has a nice TiAL kit as well..

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Fantastic information here. I wasn't fully aware that TiAL pipes would fit Turbosmart. cool!

Did you test wastegates for the 9in/hg spring? I have a mityvac but haven't tried it yet to test for springrate of BOV.

Do you have the link to the item you purchased? I have an old VRSF charge pipe that is bent and would love to explore new options. BMS has a nice TiAL kit as well..

As long as you get the female version of the turbosmart BOV it will fit the Tial flange. I didn't test my vacuum.

Turbosmart says to accurately choose the right spring measure vacuum from where you are plugging the valve into. I'm using a Vader solution vacuum adapter on the intake. Not sure what it's pulling, but the 9 in hg spring works best for me.

I'll get around to measuring it one of these days when I get a vacuum tool.

I got mine from summit racing. I use the app, can't link it. But here's a screen shot of the purple one that's the female version. They have a variety of colors.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200824-143246.jpg
    Screenshot_20200824-143246.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
As long as you get the female version of the turbosmart BOV it will fit the Tial flange. I didn't test my vacuum.

Turbosmart says to accurately choose the right spring measure vacuum from where you are plugging the valve into. I'm using a Vader solution vacuum adapter on the intake. Not sure what it's pulling, but the 9 in hg spring works best for me.

I'll get around to measuring it one of these days when I get a vacuum tool.

I got mine from summit racing. I use the app, can't link it. But here's a screen shot of the purple one that's the female version. They have a variety of colors.

Great info. Thank you for the reply.

I am still wavering on my Turbosmart DV setup compared to a more compact BOV setup. I have a TiAL in the garage (might be authentic) but didn't *love* it last time I used it.

Here is a link to that purple BOV: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tbs-ts-0204-1143

(fits cometitors flange)

🤔

[EDIT]

Further looking at Summit appears to have the 'female flange' versions of the BOV to not be in the listings for Turbo Smart BOVs...

Turbosmart TS-0204-1143 is the model for the purple BOV above, but does not show up in the listings ...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tbs-ts-0204-1132 is model 1132 and looks like the black version of the BOV but doesn't state it is female flange:
1598295569912.png

* Female flange version available to suit other manufacturer's 50mm flanges (no weld-on fitting supplied) and is 46 percent lighter

Is that secondary flange sitting to the left of the BOV the female adapter? I am confused...

[EDIT2]

For black, it looks like #476-TS-0204-1142 is the model number you want according to Texas Speed:
1598295724406.png

Turbosmart Gen-V Raceport BOV (suit Female /Tial style Flange – No Weld on Fitting Supplied. Will fit Tial Q Weld on Flanges)

Last edited:

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i

I am still wavering on my Turbosmart DV setup compared to a more compact BOV setup. I have a TiAL in the garage (might be authentic) but didn't *love* it last time I used it.

Here is a link to that purple BOV: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tbs-ts-0204-1143

🤔

Just go with what works best for you. We all like different things. I lean towards what's more efficient and practical. I don't like redundancy and over engineered systems.... even though I'm an engineer. Lol. K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid.....

For me. I love it. It's smooth. It's well made. It's not obnoxious. It's a very quick release. It's a psssh! Where the tial knock off was a PSSSSSSHHHH! Don't hear either though with the music playing.

Reactions: derekgates

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Just go with what works best for you. We all like different things. I lean towards what's more efficient and practical. I don't like redundancy and over engineered systems.... even though I'm an engineer. Lol. K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid.....

For me. I love it. It's smooth. It's well made. It's not obnoxious. It's a very quick release. It's a psssh! Where the tial knock off was a PSSSSSSHHHH! Don't hear either though with the music playing.

I agree with your statements on simple, but laugh at the fact that the N54 is anything but. :D

I used to run DCIs as well as the TiAL BOV and found the 'random noises' to be far too much. I don't have a manual car and the DCT/??? seems to cause very strange boost noises. I went with the stock airbox and a Z4 35is lid to silence the strange induction noises... the TiAL went as well.

Hearing the Turbosmart on an Ecoboost I knew it was a better sound, will try it out if I can sell some of my intake(s) and BOVs/DVs :D

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
I agree with your statements on simple, but laugh at the fact that the N54 is anything but. :D

I used to run DCIs as well as the TiAL BOV and found the 'random noises' to be far too much. I don't have a manual car and the DCT/??? seems to cause very strange boost noises. I went with the stock airbox and a Z4 35is lid to silence the strange induction noises... the TiAL went as well.

Hearing the Turbosmart on an Ecoboost I knew it was a better sound, will try it out if I can sell some of my intake(s) and BOVs/DVs :D

I have the automatic as well. Never noticed any odd/ strange boost noises.

I am running full inlets, outlet, catless dp's, 7.5 race intercooler. The only sound I hear different is from the BOV because I'm venting to atmosphere.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
I have the automatic as well. Never noticed any odd/ strange boost noises.

I am running full inlets, outlet, catless dp's, 7.5 race intercooler. The only sound I hear different is from the BOV because I'm venting to atmosphere.

hmm. I need to set this up again and try to replicate. That sounds ideal. I am same FBO but COBB intercooler. I'll try to capture the noises. :)

Loving the space you have in the engine bay!

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
hmm. I need to set this up again and try to replicate. That sounds ideal. I am same FBO but COBB intercooler. I'll try to capture the noises. :)

Loving the space you have in the engine bay!

Thanks. It looks like there is more space. Still tight. Just less clutter. The airbox did take up half the bay though.

I have the VRSF intercooler.... free from Summit racing. :)

Long story short. I had bought a CSF from summit first. They misinterpreted the CSF intercooler as being able to fit the e60 535i. I had it for 3 months before getting time to put it in over a weekend. It wouldn't fit.

Called summit. They said it would. I called CSF.... they said no way. Only fits 335i, 135i. Whatever..... they called summit, summit called me.... hey sorry we were wrong were sending you the vrsf 7.5 fmic on us.

Took some modding..... but it's awesome.

Anyway maybe on your setup you didn't have some fittings tight enough? Something not capped off? I know when going to DCI and that charge pipe there are a few things that get deleted and capped.

Reactions: derekgates

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i

🤔

[EDIT]

Further looking at Summit appears to have the 'female flange' versions of the BOV to not be in the listings for Turbo Smart BOVs...

Turbosmart TS-0204-1143 is the model for the purple BOV above, but does not show up in the listings ...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tbs-ts-0204-1132 is model 1132 and looks like the black version of the BOV but doesn't state it is female flange:
View attachment 43100

Is that secondary flange sitting to the left of the BOV the female adapter? I am confused...

[EDIT2]

For black, it looks like #476-TS-0204-1142 is the model number you want according to Texas Speed:
View attachment 43101

The 1132 is the one I got. That's their standard "male" one. It comes with the flange to weld to your charge pipe. Which is what I did. Didn't feel like returning and waiting on the female one.

Basically.... read the descriptions carefully. Easily verify by going to the turbosmart website before ordering.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
You want the purple and pink spring together on the gen v race port which makes in -14 inHg

They make the new green spring which I think will be better suited, have to try it as the purple and pink stay open just a little bit.

I just welded the flange on that came with it, at least that way if anything new comes out I can try it and not be restricted to the tial flange as not many
aftermarket BOV's come with it.

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
You want the purple and pink spring together on the gen v race port which makes in -14 inHg

They make the new green spring which I think will be better suited, have to try it as the purple and pink stay open just a little bit.

I just welded the flange on that came with it, at least that way if anything new comes out I can try it and not be restricted to the tial flange as not many
aftermarket BOV's come with it.

Yup. That's what I'm running too. Purple and pink. I would say they all should, but there may be some running more or less vacuum.