Twisted Tuned 335xi puts up 683awhp, 675awtq (World Record for XI)

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
This car was 98.5% tuned on the street. The dyno yesterday was just for numbers and this is exactly how Pete drives this car daily. It was no dyno glory run just for numbers. This is his daily, haha.

I made like 3 quick value changes on the JB4 (well actually Pete the owner did, since i'm in NY and he is currently in TX) but we were in touch the whole time. The dyno operator was nice enough to allow those quick changes. It was mainly Duty bias and PID gain changes when we noticed on the dyno it was not hitting the 31psi it was hitting on the street up top. Was only hitting 27-28psi up top until i had Pete make a couple adjustments.

This has been a fun ride between us. The car is beautiful and has the power to go with it. I think we may now have the highest powered XI roaming the streets. As i havent found anything putting out higher in an XI, closest i saw was a 600whp dyno of an XI.

Here's a couple quick screenshots of the highest and second highest pull. I think if we could have gotten that extra 2psi up top (ran out of time) we would have crested 700whp. Also, we use SAE correction which should be whats used anyway. but others use the higher reading STD correction. And this is all from an XI drivetrain. But you can see we were still missing a couple PSI of turbo up top where it mattered.

Dyno Day 1 resized.png
Dyno Day 1-2 resized.png

I have the car tuned to progressively bring boost in so as to not shock the t-case and front diff too much. As this is his daily driver, i did everything i could for him to make power but keep it as reliable but not a dog down low. So for the last several months this seems to be working. And the XI drivetrain is holding up great.

DYNO:

515695277.jpg
515695655.jpg
IMG_1807.jpg
IMG_1810.JPG

Video:

08_335i

Sergeant
Nov 3, 2016
Ride
2008 ST 335i
What's the setup on this car? Awesome to see almost 700whp on an XI!

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Even better that its an e90 and not an e92

Imagine fitting the xi drivetrain on an e93, would be a boat. I wonder if that is even possible.

yea its possible. same chassis and etc. It should all bolt up.

Watched again, the turbo really sings in the vid. I think people will be using SAE more and more, I know I am.

SAE is the industry standard honestly. This is the first platform i see use STD correction. So using SAE you're doing it right

Damn that's a lot of power to 4 wheels

indeed

What's the setup on this car? Awesome to see almost 700whp on an XI!

DocRace Single turbo Kit, using a Pure turbos 6266 turbo. ADE PI kit, fuel-it stage 3 LPFP, stage 3+ clutch. MHD/JB4 custom BEF, custom exhaust. And of course the typical FBO stuff.

08_335i

Sergeant
Nov 3, 2016
Ride
2008 ST 335i
I really like the curve, especially for it being kept conservative down low for the XI system.

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
I really like the curve, especially for it being kept conservative down low for the XI system.

Thanks. Yea, Pete wanted things as reliable as possible in terms of the Drivetrain. So I tuned in to bring boost in slowly without feeling llaggy to kinda help the XI from taking heavy hits of torque down low.

And not to mention the engine still being stock bottom end very low hard hits on torque aren't really good for the bottom end.

Reactions: luchocamp

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Any updates on the upgraded transfer case?

I haven't seen much internally gear wise that needs to be upgraded on these T-cases other than the worm gears possibly being an issue. Currently the only thing I'm doing as priority is Mounts and braces for the XI. However, i may make something to make the XI FULLTIME AWD, rather than on and of since that is where the worm gear fails.

• Agree
Reactions: AK135i

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
I haven't seen much internally gear wise that needs to be upgraded on these T-cases other than the worm gears possibly being an issue. Currently the only thing I'm doing as priority is Mounts and braces for the XI. However, i may make something to make the XI FULLTIME AWD, rather than on and of since that is where the worm gear fails.
It switches at 100mph right? Do you think you would lose any umph up top if it were awd all the time?

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
It switches at 100mph right? Do you think you would lose any umph up top if it were awd all the time?

Honestly, i think with enough power, full time AWD may actually help. Technically AWD does loose a bit up up top compared to RWD of course. Albeit I'm not sure what speed the AWD switches off. If it even switches off. But its something i started looking into.

Full time AWD due to the way our system works would put less stress on the components than being switched on at the moment of torque. But we'll see.

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
Honestly, i think with enough power, full time AWD may actually help. Technically AWD does loose a bit up up top compared to RWD of course. Albeit I'm not sure what speed the AWD switches off. If it even switches off. But its something i started looking into.

Full time AWD due to the way our system works would put less stress on the components than being switched on at the moment of torque. But we'll see.
Well regardless im excited for all that you do for the xi platform, hopefully one day ill be able to put your products to use.