Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Find a better tuner then, there is at least one out there who does flash only e85 tunes. I run e85 on my OEM HPFP, at 470whp. PM me if you want contact info.

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
I just registered for giving the thumbs up for this! I hear you are advancing with the project. Personally I'd love to have even a marginal increase in the capacity for being able to run straight E85 instead of E60 and the need to mix. A simple swash plate change could do it. However, I will buy what ever solution you will come up with. :)

Full E85 is possible on just an upgraded LPFP on a healthy HPFP on stock turbos to a certain level of power. Then you run out of flow. Hit me up if you wish to run full E85 on your car. But just know, all pumps arent created equal.

Reactions: ninjacoupe

bradsm87

Corporal
Dec 15, 2016
@Twisted Tuning how old was that HPFP and did the pins seem tight in the cylinders? Was the oil clean or did it look like old gear/diff oil? I'm trying to work out if they simply wear out over time due to the oil not being serviceable.

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Are you out in Suffolk I am looking for a tuner and also was interested in your car club

I'm mainly in the Dutchess/Orange County area. I try to keep the branches comms channels separated so......

For tuning inquires shoot me an email to: [email protected]

For inquiries about the Car Club, send email to: [email protected]

@Twisted Tuning how old was that HPFP and did the pins seem tight in the cylinders? Was the oil clean or did it look like old gear/diff oil? I'm trying to work out if they simply wear out over time due to the oil not being serviceable.

I've taken a few apart and the oil always looks the same. BAD. I wouldn't say super dirty persay. But I will say that no oil should be left unchanged. of the HPFP's I've opened up there were a few different failure points.

-fuel chamber hairline fractures
-piston damage (cracking or somehow burred)
-solenoid wornout
-internal HPFP valve gets stuck open or closed
-HPFP filter clogged like hell

Being that virtually each one had a different failure, it was tough to decide what the cause was. but couple conclusions.....

-internal failure due to high ethanol content which in turn drastically lowers fuel lubricity (I usually tell all my clients on E85 to run a couple tanks of regular 93oct through the car every 5 or so tanks of e85 if they are running E50 or more). Being that lubricity it can increase heat build-up.

-oil needs to be changed/serviced periodically just like everything else on the car. old fuel diluted oil in there if a seal goes bad will cause failure

these are just my findings on like five pumps i've completely torn down. I'm honestly not sure what type of oil they used in them. I couldn't get a distinct scent off of them since they were all pretty much past the point of breakdown.

Off topic: anyone here willing to donate or have a spare I can purchase of an N54, N55, and Late E or F series N55 vacuum pump assembly? I need all 3, so if anyone has some laying around they are willing to donate or allow me to purchase, it would be much appreciated. Let me know.

bradsm87

Corporal
Dec 15, 2016
I've taken a few apart and the oil always looks the same. BAD. I wouldn't say super dirty persay. But I will say that no oil should be left unchanged. of the HPFP's I've opened up there were a few different failure points.

-fuel chamber hairline fractures
-piston damage (cracking or somehow burred)
-solenoid wornout
-internal HPFP valve gets stuck open or closed
-HPFP filter clogged like hell

Being that virtually each one had a different failure, it was tough to decide what the cause was. but couple conclusions.....

-internal failure due to high ethanol content which in turn drastically lowers fuel lubricity (I usually tell all my clients on E85 to run a couple tanks of regular 93oct through the car every 5 or so tanks of e85 if they are running E50 or more). Being that lubricity it can increase heat build-up.

-oil needs to be changed/serviced periodically just like everything else on the car. old fuel diluted oil in there if a seal goes bad will cause failure

these are just my findings on like five pumps i've completely torn down. I'm honestly not sure what type of oil they used in them. I couldn't get a distinct scent off of them since they were all pretty much past the point of breakdown.

Mine hasn't failed but it reaches its limits at a lower power level that i was expecting and I'm trying to ascertain 100% certainty that a new HPFP will improve it. I figured the pins and cylinders might have excessive play or simply the HPFP inlet filter getting blocked. I'll start with the filter.

Do you agree with the others that say that if there is at least 55psi at the HPFP inlet that improving the LPFP side and increasing that pressure will make absolutely no difference to flow capacity?