Unlocking the E9X backup camera!

Iftekar

Mar 30, 2018
Ride
335i 6spd E93
I wonder if there was an error in the coding somehow? I wonder if this is default behavior in a 6MT?

No error while coding. And I remember before installing the camera, upon disengaging reverse the PDC screen used to switch off during when engine is off.
But when engine is on and I am backing out, the PDC screen would stay on for few more secs and turn off ( even after switching to 1st gear). Good thing is, this is still happening.
So if I am backing out from my garage the reverse cam would be on for sometime and then switched off. But when engine is not running, its stuck. Not big of a problem but it's a problem.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Has anyone had a problem with their backup camera going bad? I've had two cameras go bad on me, I'm using the 12v signal from my aftermarket unit to trigger the camera so it isn't just hard wired to the battery being left on all the time. This is the second camera to go bad on me, unless the issue is a wiring one. I doubt it however.

I don't feel like lugging an old TV out to my garage to test this camera either, and I have it all wired in. :(

DaZuc

Private
Nov 7, 2016
Rockland, NY
Has anyone had a problem with their backup camera going bad? I've had two cameras go bad on me, I'm using the 12v signal from my aftermarket unit to trigger the camera so it isn't just hard wired to the battery being left on all the time. This is the second camera to go bad on me, unless the issue is a wiring one. I doubt it however.

I don't feel like lugging an old TV out to my garage to test this camera either, and I have it all wired in. :(
I haven't had any issues and had the backup camera for about 2 years now.
The way I wired it was the camera gets power from the emulator.

Here is the seller I purchased my emulator and camera from.
https://www.ebay.com/str/Autofocustech?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Thanks for following up, but that is actually the first seller I got the camera from. I wonder if the problem is somewhere else.

Iftekar

Mar 30, 2018
Ride
335i 6spd E93
So the tecktronix camera and Chinese emulator worked for an year - which is not bad.
Now I am starting to have some issues and not sure if it's the camera or the emulator- may be you guys can help.
The camera image appears upside down randomly- like 5 out of 5 times the image is upside down. Wiring has not been touched since it was installed and it happens randomly so I am pretty sure nothing changed. Also once in a while the image goes blank.
Has this happened with anyone ? I am starting to doubt its the camera as the emulator has nothing to do with the actual image - I guess ?

slow_henry

Private
Apr 6, 2017
nj
Ride
335i
So the tecktronix camera and Chinese emulator worked for an year - which is not bad.
Now I am starting to have some issues and not sure if it's the camera or the emulator- may be you guys can help.
The camera image appears upside down randomly- like 5 out of 5 times the image is upside down. Wiring has not been touched since it was installed and it happens randomly so I am pretty sure nothing changed. Also once in a while the image goes blank.
Has this happened with anyone ? I am starting to doubt its the camera as the emulator has nothing to do with the actual image - I guess ?
Having the same issue almost positive it's the camera havent had time to order a new one probably do it today

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
My camera died as well, but I don't recall which one it is. Its the second one to break in fact, I really wish someone would make a proper solution. Perhaps its related to getting wet?

slow_henry

Private
Apr 6, 2017
nj
Ride
335i
Replaced my camera and till not coming on, guess I gota check the conections to the emulador now

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
I recently installed this one. For the one in the rear I went straight to cutting a hole in the bumper so the only thing exposed is the lens.

For the front, I was thinking of use the bracket but if water is an issue on these cheap cameras maybe another hole in the front bumper.

They line up with the parking sensors so don't look too out of place

Reactions: slow_henry

slow_henry

Private
Apr 6, 2017
nj
Ride
335i
I personally love the OEM look of the handle camera for the rear, what's involved into adding a second camera to the emulator for the front?

Seb335i

Corporal
Jun 14, 2019
Ride
BMW 335i E93 DKG
You can do the retrofit with all oem stuff it will allow you to have dynamic backup lines.

You will need :

A PDC modul from an X1 E84 P/N: 66 20 9 252 636
A TRSVC modul from an X1 E84 or X5 E70 / X6 E71
A camera retrofit harness from an X1 or X3 P/N: 61 12 2 183 660
A backup camera from an X1 (E84), X5 (E70), X6 (E71) or any F serie backup camera except one from the X5 F15
A F serie trunk handle P/N: 51 24 7 368 753
If anyone have question about the install feel free to ask

Last edited:

apirumann

Jul 19, 2020
I did some troubleshooting today.
It's confirmed that the white wire constantly sends 12V even if the reverse gear is disengaged . But when I removed the emulator, I noticed my regular PDC interface also gets stuck the same way ( does not switch off once reverse gear is disengaged). So not sure if its the emulator or some bad coding. I removed the $3AG and reset all the modules but no luck. I reverted to the stock coding but same thing. Only one thing that I didn't do was even remove the wire tapping but not sure how that's going to impact as the emulator box itself was removed.
So at this moment I am totally clueless as to where the problem is. Somehow CIC is not sensing that reverse gear is disengaged it seems.

Have you figured it out?

Iftekar

Mar 30, 2018
Ride
335i 6spd E93
Have you figured it out?
Not really. I had contacted the seller and even the seller had no clue. I know the cam is supposed to be on for some time even if you disengage reverse but the white wire always is 12v making the cam always on. Idrive switches back to the normal screen, so that's okay. I have replaced the module after a year and the new one also showing the symptoms of going out ( occasional black screen). I think that's because it's always on ( eventhough idrive is not displaying the image).

apirumann

Jul 19, 2020
Not really. I had contacted the seller and even the seller had no clue. I know the cam is supposed to be on for some time even if you disengage reverse but the white wire always is 12v making the cam always on. Idrive switches back to the normal screen, so that's okay. I have replaced the module after a year and the new one also showing the symptoms of going out ( occasional black screen). I think that's because it's always on ( eventhough idrive is not displaying the image).

Thanks for the reply. I think these Autofocus emulators are crap. People install them and some like them however, nobody is fully aware of how they are supposed to be working. It is a hit or miss, just like other cheaply made crap. For example, I ordered two identical K+DCAN cables from Amazon, one was crap, the other one is solid. Back to the emulator: I installed one not too long ago and since then the car has had issues. Mine did not have continuous 12v on the white like yours but it would wake the car up every 5 minutes which caused a premature battery drain. I guess my battery was also nearing it's lifetime so I ended up replacing the battery today. Red has continuous 12v, CanH 11v; CanL 0.45v no key, 4.5v ignition on; White 12v ignition on, otherwise 0. That made me think that it was working properly but nobody knows. One thing I failed to do before I ran out of patience was to check camera positive behind the CIC to see whether that had any continuous voltage. Today, I finally gave up on it and removed it completely. Now the car has no electrical issues. And this was not due to my installation. I retrofitted a FR&RR PDC and a non-pre wired alarm before. So, I am confident that I did it properly. I wish you good luck.