Upgraded oil pans

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Havent modified it from original. As far as I can tell the M3 cooling is the way to go. It retains the water to oil transfer but also adds an oil to air cooler as well.

Last edited:

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
What cooler do you have? Divorcing the trans cooling from the coolant circuit takes quite a bit of surface area to do so at a stand still and no fans.

You'd be surprised how much more efficient air is at cooling than hot coolant :)

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I wish that were true in my case. I've found the coolant to be very good at cooling the trans fluid in various situations, but only up to a certain point obviously and at the expense of coolant temps themselves.

I suppose I will start with one of my cooler upgrades and see how it handles temps, if not then I'd like to add the second one or at least some sort of inline cooler with a fan mounted to the bottom of the car perhaps?

Reactions: aus335iguy

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
I wish that were true in my case. I've found the coolant to be very good at cooling the trans fluid in various situations, but only up to a certain point obviously and at the expense of coolant temps themselves.

I suppose I will start with one of my cooler upgrades and see how it handles temps, if not then I'd like to add the second one or at least some sort of inline cooler with a fan mounted to the bottom of the car perhaps?

You can attach a fan if needed. From my testing I don't see how this A2A will get anywhere near 200F temps like the stock one does. Coolant is like 220F, so I still don't understand how that cools it LOL.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
You can attach a fan if needed. From my testing I don't see how this A2A will get anywhere near 200F temps like the stock one does. Coolant is like 220F, so I still don't understand how that cools it LOL.
If you read this, https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/bmw-dct-information.2950/
It explains that(on the M3 at least) that the water to oil cooler is engaged below oil temp of 95 deg C.
This is actually to warm the oil, not cool it.
Above 95 deg C the Oil air works. The reason a lot of coolers on non M vehicles are ineffective is because i dont believe the thermostat is taken into account on these installations. On the non M there is no “cooling” other than what the water to oil can deliver which is less than ideal.
On an M3 however an upgraded cooler itll work because it has a heating AND a cooling cycle. The secret is the the thermosat and its bypass network.

Reactions: Payam@BMS

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
If you read this, https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/bmw-dct-information.2950/
It explains that(on the M3 at least) that the water to oil cooler is engaged below oil temp of 95 deg C.
This is actually to warm the oil, not cool it.
Above 95 deg C the Oil air works. The reason a lot of coolers on non M vehicles are ineffective is because i dont believe the thermostat is taken into account on these installations. On the non M there is no “cooling” other than what the water to oil can deliver which is less than ideal.
On an M3 however an upgraded cooler itll work because it has a heating AND a cooling cycle. The secret is the the thermosat and its bypass network.

Yes, I'm aware it's mostly used for warming the oil at first :) Then after that, not much cooling lol.