Upgraded T04 turbos for less $ than stock! Wtf? Link inside

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
I'm running them here so first hand experience. 7months in, 7000 miles. They use zero oil, literally less oil burn than stock.
They spool up as early as standard and have no issue maintaining 26psi to 7200rpm, at 52% wgdc.

I've posted in a few Facebook pages but have been banned for telling the truth. Hardly surprising when it was in a frankenturbos group.

Honestly they've been great value for me.
At this price even if they last only 2years I'll buy another set but I think failure is unlikely based on zero oil burn and the VSR balancing.
I know of ten people running them, zero failures for 20 turbos. Also in the what's app group.
Turbo vendors will alway hate the fact that a cheaper turbo can do what there's can do. Some may lead you to think that you'll have problems right away, or on the sidelines just waiting to say .....I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!

nitemare

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Jax, FL
If those $2000 eBay turbos are truly one off cast like they say, with the guts they claim, and the balancing I don't see why they would go bad at all. That is unless you run 80+% WGDC all day everyday.

If someone is at 26psi and 52% they'll last for a very long time indeed hell even if you're at 30psi and say 70% WGDC. At the end of the day they come with a 3 year warranty which is longer than any vendor offers (I believe).

This might be a perfect time for me to upgrade from my flawless "Chinese" Hexon RR700s with my newly built Ali Barakat engine.

Threetirtyfive

Corporal
Jan 9, 2019
Ride
335i
The blade size is TD04 equivalent even if the rotor shaft is not. A lot of branded hybrids are not true TDO4 CHRAs either. That has nothing to do with the power potential of these turbos.

JazRedGT

Corporal
Nov 5, 2016
Norfolk, VA / Yokosuka, Japan
Ride
2007 e92 N54
The blade size is TD04 equivalent even if the rotor shaft is not. A lot of branded hybrids are not true TDO4 CHRAs either. That has nothing to do with the power potential of these turbos.
Power potential to may have a point. But longevity at the power levels you are referencing will be tough to maintain. The internal of the $2k set @nitemare is speaking of is an actual TD04.

Threetirtyfive

Corporal
Jan 9, 2019
Ride
335i
Fair enough- as I say, the 10 people (more than that with orders placed) have not had an issue and we're all using the AliXpress turbos, all approaching 10k miles.

Literally Zero zilch -0- failures.

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
If I were you guys- I'd be chasing down this guy for an update:
https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/my-official-china-td04-16t-ebay-turbos.3686/

He now has about 7 months on his China Ebay units (had 1,400 miles 6 months ago), so much better than the guy(s) who may have installed them a couple/few months ago and claiming almost 10k miles already.

Based on what we can see however he has not responded to requests for current updates over the past several months (hasn't posted in thread since September) yet is consistently online. Same with a couple others who'd chimed in prior as well. Perhaps he/they are just too burned out to say "All still well, highly recommended! A+++". Not sure.

Rob

Last edited:

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
I'm following the UK guys on What's App. They have multiple people with these. I'll ask them to post here.

Yeah seems like many are buying them I know as we are getting quotes and what not for RHD outlets/etc from those who are doing as such. Problem is that most of these guys seem to be really current fresh installs, so as stated prior get some OG reviews, as someone who installed 30-120 days ago are not going to be nearly as much help despite how much fun that maybe having the past couple months. Shit didn't hit the fan with Hexon (publicly) for about 1.5-2 years IIRC.

Rob

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Hexon did take a while.

Are any of these putting down any good numbers? You would think people would have dyno'd these by now so we could compare to other twin turbo set ups available on the market.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Fair enough- as I say, the 10 people (more than that with orders placed) have not had an issue and we're all using the AliXpress turbos, all approaching 10k miles.

Literally Zero zilch -0- failures.

Odd, considering the trade retail versions sold in the states aren't doing so well. Wonder if the manufacturer edited the design.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
At the end of the day they come with a 3 year warranty which is longer than any vendor offers (I believe).

Trying to hype a long warranty as a selling point just make me think your product is trash and will fail.

So many people justify their decisions with "bUt wArrAnTY" but often times the warranties are such a hassle to get honored, or with sketchy chinese vendors flat out denied.

Reactions: Panzerfaust

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I don't get the warranty stuff - too much work to change these once, much less twice. But I get that lots of people like to disassemble their cars several times ... have fun lol. I don't care about the warranty on rods either. I don't want to go in there twice.

Filippo

Josh_G

Private
Aug 29, 2018
Ride
N54 335i RHD
Oh I know I've been following. But none of them are even over 600whp are they?

I would imagine most of the UK guys are at the 500bhp + mark.. we don't have easy access to E85 and a lot of people are ruining these on pump fuel only.

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
Hexon did take a while.

Hexon did take a while to show the extent of the failures they were enduring- and truth is it may have been MUCH longer had they just not closed the doors and basically said "Sorry, no one home anymore" when customers were trying to get assistance with their failing products (with 2 year warranties).

I don't get the warranty stuff - too much work to change these once, much less twice. But I get that lots of people like to disassemble their cars several times ... have fun lol. I don't care about the warranty on rods either. I don't want to go in there twice.

Filippo

Well said.

Warranties are not something ANYONE wants to ever use and they are supposed to be there for an extremely rare manufacturing related issue, and typically they are only as good as the paper they are written on (especially in the hands of some vendors).

The best bet is to make a purchase on products that you know simply do not have any manufacturing related issues and thus will not need to exercise a warranty.

Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: Dmak

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Hexon did take a while.

Are any of these putting down any good numbers? You would think people would have dyno'd these by now so we could compare to other twin turbo set ups available on the market.

FrankenTurbos put down 600 whp on pump gas (24psi 10* timing), so it's probably not too hard for pretty much any hybrids to make good power.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
FrankenTurbos put down 600 whp on pump gas (24psi 10* timing), so it's probably not too hard for pretty much any hybrids to make good power.

Do you have a link? Wouldn't that be the record for twins on 93? That would mean they flow like a precision 6466 or the engine had cams etc. Making it more efficient. I am a bit skeptical.