Upgraded T04 turbos for less $ than stock! Wtf? Link inside

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I think mmp is using the billet ball bearing chras only with large wheels. The aus stuff is closer to a stage 2.5 if I recall. It will be interesting to see how they last. I'm less worried about performance and more concerned with longevity now.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I'm the same boat as you, I'm not after all out hp but longevity.

GC's are perfect for me and I don't need any more power.

I'm not even beginning to scratch the surface of what they are capable off.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
BB from jd75 here in aus, they are based on the zage housing with a custom billet cartridge

I personally have been running the gc 2.0 and they are very impressive, I had a few issues to iron out but they weren't the problem but my setup.
Interesting, I'm not well versed in the aussie scene but haven't heard of them. Out of curiosity do you have a link/pic or anything?

MMP is using the 1K housings bored out to fit their BB CHRAs.
I think mmp is using the billet ball bearing chras only with large wheels. The aus stuff is closer to a stage 2.5 if I recall. It will be interesting to see how they last. I'm less worried about performance and more concerned with longevity now.
I know Mauricio has two different versions he offers, one is a legitimate GTX 5353 inside of 1K housings for sure, I'm not sure what the other is off the top of my head (or maybe I have that backwards, but I know hes boring out 1Ks for actual garret GTX CHRAs and wheels)
I'm the same boat as you, I'm not after all out hp but longevity.

GC's are perfect for me and I don't need any more power.

I'm not even beginning to scratch the surface of what they are capable off.
Same here. I dont plan on being the one to try to push the 1Ks to their edge, I'm actually hoping to run less boost than I initially planned now that I have Schrick cams and let the combo do the work while not stressing anything out *too* much. My goal is 1/4 ETs anyway, I would be thrilled to hit 700 on a less conservative tune which seems super reasonable on my setup without worrying about anything, I don't care about dyno queen bragging rights though. If they get me down the track as quick as I want and I get a good couple years out of them I'm happy, and from what I've seen that should be the case.

Reactions: GreyNBlueE92

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
JD75 will be selling them but he wants to make sure they are solid before he releases them

One thing that I've seen they have been pushed to the ragged edge and still going hard without issue

Never seen a set of turbos take this much of abuse and still going.

Time will tell

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
One thing I will say Rob never makes claims of dyno glory and such he actually says go single, now people have hit crazy numbers with his products but if it breaks no one has a right to complain. Now when you advertise crazy numbers or put 1k in the name to lead people to belive high potential it is a diff story. I don't think anyone can honestly cross shop these with a true upgrade these are more if it broke why not give a shot I don't see this being a good upgrade path tho

Literally the only vendor on this platform that says/does this.

Also, people don't want to pay to play so to speak, it is not inexpensive to take the n54 past stock turbo levels. You have to upgrade a fair deal of components and have maintenance up to date etc. People get spoiled with the cheap HP the stock turbos make. Under 1k in mods gets you 400/450 on 93. To hit 600+ reliably its thousands upon thousands. The delta from 400 to 600 is huge.

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
I realize it will be taken with a grain of salt (and that is ok) but we've had a couple already reach out directly to us with issues, so wouldn't doubt if he's at minimum seeing some signs of issues forming... it is has been just over 6 months after all.

Rob

So back on topic- has there literally been anyone (even if just a friend of a friend or somebody on FB/etc) that has these things with some time on them that can share their experiences thus far? It has been about 8 months or so since they began flailing around Ebay, so it is getting close to the typical point of failures in these types of products to start surfacing.

History shows (time and time again) that a new offering appears, everyone gets excited and jumps aboard and promises to not disappear; but then they seem to experience problems/deal with warranty issues/etc etc and wouldn't you know they somehow disappear.

Rob

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
So back on topic- has there literally been anyone (even if just a friend of a friend or somebody on FB/etc) that has these things with some time on them that can share their experiences thus far? It has been about 8 months or so since they began flailing around Ebay, so it is getting close to the typical point of failures in these types of products to start surfacing.

History shows (time and time again) that a new offering appears, everyone gets excited and jumps aboard and promises to not disappear; but then they seem to experience problems/deal with warranty issues/etc etc and wouldn't you know they somehow disappear.

Rob
From what I've seen in the FB groups, much less people are running them than I'd expected although there are frequent questions about them.

Theres been a handful of people say they've had them running for a while - I think the split is pretty close to 60/40 positive/negative feedback at the moment which we can both agree is likely to change to a higher negative percentage later - however I did see one user saying they've been running them around 22psi for like 18K without issues, another user had a failure shortly after install (a few K miles - think lower-end FT levels) but had them sent out to TTS to be rebuilt and claims no more issues, and then some people who've purchased them have done the smart thing and had them balanced and inspected prior to install and also claim no issues so far. I havent heard much about warranty stuff, just that the person who had theirs rebuilt after failing didnt want to wait on a warranty resolution from China.

Personally, I wouldn't let them within 10ft of my engine bay lol. You and I have different opinions on vendors which we dont need to get into, but I think its obvious that any alternative to them aside from a certain FB-only option is a much safer bet. At least then you know more is being done than just assembly right off the conveyer belt, and you actually have people to contact for warranty instead of dealing with 3rd parties.

JazRedGT

Corporal
Nov 5, 2016
Norfolk, VA / Yokosuka, Japan
Ride
2007 e92 N54
Once you get to know the vendors they are just ordinary people just like the rest of us and are out there trying to make a living.

Then you get these retards that think they can make a gazillion hp on a stock motor and think the turbos should last 200k while they are pushing them way out of their efficiency range.

If i could get a set of turbos to last just 20k of hard driving I would be extremely happy.
My MMPs Stage 3 have over 20k miles on them now. The rear turbo flapper recently failed on me. A quick spot weld fixed that issue. 25psi , 600whp/wtq, well over 200 passes at the 1/8 and 1/4 mile. 24 - 26 psi is probably their sweet spot. I've seen others run them in the 30+ range and they didn't last very long.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Reactions: Abacus38

JazRedGT

Corporal
Nov 5, 2016
Norfolk, VA / Yokosuka, Japan
Ride
2007 e92 N54
It will be interesting to see the results from them. Was there a reason for them going that route rather than the ebay ones that are only a grand? $2100 seems close enough to a set of MMPs or VTT Stage 2s.

He paid less. They had a "Best Offer" option earlier this year. I believe he offered like $1700 and dude countered with $1800. His compressor blades and turbine blades are different from the other Ebay offerings and still about $1000+ cheaper than MMP or VTT GCs.

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride

Josh_G

Private
Aug 29, 2018
Ride
N54 335i RHD
Does not do much good to report back with soon results, for turbos that have not even been installed. Will have to reset the 1 year clock on this setup, however I'm pretty confident it is going to be yet another disappearing act after experiencing some issues.

Rob

I am in a Whatsapp group in the UK with about 5/6 people that have installed these and put miles miles on them.

One lad is currently on 6500 hassle free miles another is on about 10k i think.

Everyone i have personally spoken to about these turbos hasn't had any issue at all, with only one set being removed as he went single turbo instead, but they are now on another car.

here is a log from the lad with 6500 miles on them

https://datazap.me/u/semwamos/v3-hybrids?log=0&data=3-23

• Informative
Reactions: fmorelli

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
I am in a Whatsapp group in the UK with about 5/6 people that have installed these and put miles miles on them.

One lad is currently on 6500 hassle free miles another is on about 10k i think.

Everyone i have personally spoken to about these turbos hasn't had any issue at all, with only one set being removed as he went single turbo instead, but they are now on another car.

here is a log from the lad with 6500 miles on them

https://datazap.me/u/semwamos/v3-hybrids?log=0&data=3-23

Josh_G,

Looks like there are two "bigger" of these Ebay China setups floating around- which in particular are you speaking of for these 5 or 6 setups? As both offerings are very young it is definitely pretty amazing one already had up to 10k miles on them, that customer must have a lot of places to go- but certainly feasible if they went with the #1 option below.

1) One is the original Ebay China setup as was the foundation of this thread, they began selling about 8-9 or so months ago. Several piped up early on these, then of course fell silent.

2) The other is the Ebay American-China setup which is about 3-4 months (?) old that name drops every N54 vendor known to man in their Ebay listing tirade (as if they are superior to them all) but seem to be closer to the Turbo Lab of America types (as seen here):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-N54-TD...h=item4d711806e4:g:hKgAAOSwckVb5Qf-:rk:5:pf:0

Based on experience and inside knowledge we can see both of these setups are in trouble, it should all begin ringing in publicly around the 1-1.5 year marker post installations so not too much longer for the first one. Unfortunately it seems the masses don't seem to be too quick to post things publicly these days perhaps it is as they expect the issues going into it. Or perhaps they get their rants in to the other well known vendors on the platform and call it a day.

Rob

Last edited:

Josh_G

Private
Aug 29, 2018
Ride
N54 335i RHD
Josh_G,

Looks like there are two "bigger" of these Ebay China setups floating around- which in particular are you speaking of?

1) One is the original Ebay China setup as was the foundation of this thread, they began selling about 8 or so months ago. Several piped up early on these, then of course fell silent.

2) The other is the Ebay American-China setup which is about 3-6 months (?) old that name drops every N54 vendor known to man in their Ebay tirade (as if they are superior to them all) but seem to be closer to the Turbo Lab of America types (as seen here):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-N54-TD...h=item4d711806e4:g:hKgAAOSwckVb5Qf-:rk:5:pf:0

Based on experience and inside knowledge we can see both of these setups are in trouble, it should all begin ringing in publicly around the 1-1.5 year marker post installations so not too much longer for the first one. Unfortunately it seems the masses don't seem to be too quick to post things publicly much these days guess they expect the issues going into it, they just seem to get their rants in to the other well known vendors on the platform and call it a day.

Rob

The exact turbos in question are on the link below. They were originally advertised as 16T but now advertised with the 17T.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bil...56-4511-a2c7-f9bf637a1137&transAbTest=ae803_4

In the group we have a mix of a few people on the 'original' 16T and a few on the 17T. Obviously the 17T have only been advertised for about 3 months so they have less miles on them for the people that have them, but we are pretty sure they are the same anyway.

Just to make it clear i'm not running these, i have Turbo Dynamics turbos on mine. but just so its out there i know people running these with no current issue. but then we are in the UK running pump fuel at 500bhp mark @ 21psi tuned by various remote USA tuners.

They are out there, they are working... we are a bunch of UK guys that don't want to pay $2.5k for turbos and get massive import charges and most have been installed by them selves or a well know garage in the UK.

If anyone wants to talk to the gusy in the chat will add the link to it of you like

Reactions: Threetirtyfive

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
The exact turbos in question are on the link below. They were originally advertised as 16T but now advertised with the 17T.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bil...56-4511-a2c7-f9bf637a1137&transAbTest=ae803_4

In the group we have a mix of a few people on the 'original' 16T and a few on the 17T. Obviously the 17T have only been advertised for about 3 months so they have less miles on them for the people that have them, but we are pretty sure they are the same anyway.

Just to make it clear i'm not running these, i have Turbo Dynamics turbos on mine. but just so its out there i know people running these with no current issue. but then we are in the UK running pump fuel at 500bhp mark @ 21psi tuned by various remote USA tuners.

They are out there, they are working... we are a bunch of UK guys that don't want to pay $2.5k for turbos and get massive import charges and most have been installed by them selves or a well know garage in the UK.

If anyone wants to talk to the gusy in the chat will add the link to it of you like

Ok it appears the units you are speaking of are the full blown china units in our example #1 above.

I can tell you 100% that a 17T wheel does not even exist, never has, well that was until we actually designed our own 17T wheel a couple years ago. Literally there is no other wheel, so unless it has been copied no one has a 17T but ourselves. More often than not- you get those copy cat types who see a vendor list a wheel spec (ie. 17T) so they either will say they "TOO" have a 17T or maybe even go the extra mile and one up their advertisement to a 18T or 19T (regardless of what it is, or how well it matches the turbine nonetheless)- customers always love the bigger numbers and never seem to be too concerned about the overall design or whether it is just misadvertisement. This is a good reason why companies like Pure just say "we do not release information on specs whatsoever"; which is a smart move to avoid such comparisons quite frankly. If you want to know which T wheel they are- get the specs and we can assist.

As for those running them, thanks for the input on the fact that some have recently installed them. This is something we do not doubt however they are still young if installed only 4 or so months ago (as it would seem). Give it a bit closer to a year; better yet two, three, or more. As always it is very easy to prematurely give updates and then forget about the ones that truly have the time on them, something we deal with tremendously having sold to this platform for now 10 years (ie. Hey I everyone I saw an RB failure on FB!- set from 2012 or the like). So in short definitely keep tabs on the OG installs, follow them through and report back; these are the reports that will be the most credible for the units from a reliability perspective. If you see a real world hard driven set that makes it 10+k miles and/or a year + or so then that is a great sign IMO.

Rob

Last edited:

Threetirtyfive

Corporal
Jan 9, 2019
Ride
335i
I'm running them here so first hand experience. 7months in, 7000 miles. They use zero oil, literally less oil burn than stock.
They spool up as early as standard and have no issue maintaining 26psi to 7200rpm, at 52% wgdc.

I've posted in a few Facebook pages but have been banned for telling the truth. Hardly surprising when it was in a frankenturbos group.

Honestly they've been great value for me.
At this price even if they last only 2years I'll buy another set but I think failure is unlikely based on zero oil burn and the VSR balancing.
I know of ten people running them, zero failures for 20 turbos. Also in the what's app group.

Last edited:

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
I'm running them here so first hand experience. 7months in, 7000 miles. They use zero oil, literally less oil burn than stock.
They spool up as early as standard and have no issue maintaining 26psi to 7200rpm, at 52% wgdc.

I've posted in a few Facebook pages but have been banned for telling the truth. Hardly surprising when it was in a frankenturbos group.

Honestly they've been great value for me.
At this price even if they last only 2years I'll buy another set but I think failure is unlikely based on zero oil burn and the VSR balancing.
I know of ten people running them, zero failures for 20 sets of turbos. Also in the what's app group.

Assume you are on the #1 units above? Regardless great feedback here with the 7 months and still unproblematic. You should be at 10+k miles at the year marker easy- so keep the updates coming over the next 5 or so months. Of the ~10 people (~10 sets) you know running them; also keep their updates coming. Lastly if any are yanked for any reason don't sweep it under the rug, let it be known.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: Threetirtyfive