Upgraded to Pure Stage 2 highflows...Now I think I need upgraded Guibo.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
OK... now that the Pure S2 high flows are settled into the Twisted Tune flash... I am definitely seeing that I need to upgrade the rubber Guibo. There's no way this thing is handling that torque properly.

See here: When I press the pedal down hard... the car jumps into action like a tornado with all the air sounds and snaps your neck back... now, when I release the pedal there is a noticeable thunk - a dull thud or klang noise right in the center under the shifter. And this is only ONE thing... the damn rubber guibo is flexing too much and then snapping back into place when I release the pedal. It is disturbing. If I take it easy and slowly release the pedal smoother... then no thud. But if I just let go...then BAM... big thud.

So I think I am going to swap out the rubber guibo with my aluminum BMW guibo on the shelf. And hopefully that will help the situation.

Anyone here have any other input on what else might be the case? The trans is rated at 800 lbs. ft. and I am probably around 500 or 600 lbs. ft now.
New M Factory LSD.
New rear Axles.
etc.

VT

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
I do not have answer to your question. But I am super interested in knowing if a rubber guibo can actually be the source of drive train a thud noise. I mainly have a bit of thudding when in 1st gear if go on and off throttle a bit too violently.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I do not have answer to your question. But I am super interested in knowing if a rubber guibo can actually be the source of drive train a thud noise. I mainly have a bit of thudding when in 1st gear if go on and off throttle a bit too violently.

I had the aluminum quibo before and no matter how quickly I let off the gas, it would not make that noise. This rubber guibo is designed to flex and designed for stock power levels while the aluminum version is more later models and M car level power. I can actually squeeze the rubber with enough hard force via my hands and feel the flex... so I can imagine the 600 lbs. ft. is twisting it too much beyond its design and when I let go quickly...the transmission and the driveshaft snap back into alignment which creates the thud. All other components on the driveline are new so there is no worry about center bearing etc... The weak point now is the rubber guibo. I will report after this is tested in a couple of weeks... work is too insane now.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
I had the aluminum quibo before and no matter how quickly I let off the gas, it would not make that noise. This rubber guibo is designed to flex and designed for stock power levels while the aluminum version is more later models and M car level power. I can actually squeeze the rubber with enough hard force via my hands and feel the flex... so I can imagine the 600 lbs. ft. is twisting it too much beyond its design and when I let go quickly...the transmission and the driveshaft snap back into alignment which creates the thud. All other components on the driveline are new so there is no worry about center bearing etc... The weak point now is the rubber guibo. I will report after this is tested in a couple of weeks... work is too insane now.
Would be nice to know. So far I have had no issues, but I know a couple of people describing your same issue that have yet to be resolved.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Hmmmmm.... I get a weird clunk when I 'let go of energy against the diff' that I assumed was center bearing or guibo as well. Interesting to hear you similar issues but due to increased boost.

I read horror stories about the aluminum guibo as it likes to crack...

How many miles on your rubber guibo?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
@matreyia you’ve definitely ruled out engine mounts / transmission mounts causing this noise?

Brand new 335is mounts less than months. Rogue engineer trans mount around 3 yrs old. I mean it is possible trans mounts cannot do the job... perahps upgrade trans mounts?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Hmmmmm.... I get a weird clunk when I 'let go of energy against the diff' that I assumed was center bearing or guibo as well. Interesting to hear you similar issues but due to increased boost.

I read horror stories about the aluminum guibo as it likes to crack...

How many miles on your rubber guibo?

I have had no issues with aluminum bmw guibo. Rubber guibo less than a yr old. Just too damn soft and squooshy. Not made for high torque like new m cars.

Reactions: derekgates

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Would be nice to know. So far I have had no issues, but I know a couple of people describing your same issue that have yet to be resolved.

That's a relief to hear. I was gonna think that i really am cursed and the car gods jist hate me. There is really no other remedy except for guibo, trans mount upgrade... as nobody makes the center support bearing upgrade. If only MFactory had made those carbon driveshafts that eliminate the center bearing completely...
My Mfactory LSD was replaced about a year ago.

• Funny
Reactions: SlowE93