Vader Solutions N54 Breather System

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
And???

That doesn't mean I don't have the right to inquire.
It's not the first or even second time I've seen you post the exact same type of reply in the N54 section to then complain about the N55 not getting the love you want it to. Contact the vendors directly or complain about it in the N55 section. I'd love to be able to say, "you don't see N54 people complaining in other engine sections when a vendor doesn't offer us the same thing, but I honestly have no clue if they do or not." Why? Because I don't go there because I have an N54, not an N55.

Totally not trying to be a dick, just pointing out that this is not the right section.

• Funny
Reactions: AK135i

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
I have a Mocal pump and it will run dry or wet but it needs to be gravity fed so it was mounted lower than turbo. I have a 10an line from turbo to pump and from pump to welded fitting in pan. Then i have rb pcv kit with flapper going into 2 mishimotto occs. One is 2 port and the other is a 3 port for better flow.

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

Omar@VaderSolutions

Lieutenant
Premium Vendor
Oct 19, 2016
NY & AZ
vadersolution.com
Ride
N54 135i & N54 335i
Ok quick update ... sticking with my original design ...

I don't see the need for vacuum on low pressure setting ... Vargas seems to be the only one in the automotive industry to demand for vacuum on low pressure setting and deems it vital..... while Porsche from the factory uses a vta design similar to mine .. also every aftermarket turbo BMW in the 90's and early 2000's never required a pcv system as described by tony .. at high pressure yes ok , but also the system does require a certain amount of vacuum . Can't just pull a buttload of vacuum if there was a pump installed guys

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
Hate to do it :) but must agree with Vargas on this one.

These cars 100% need a certain amount of vacuum on the crankcase at low loads. We believe it has to do with oil draining vs. oil pressure (amount of flow through journal bearing turbos) vs. vacuum applied to the crankcase when at low load such as idle (which aids in draining). In short the oil needs to make it to the pan ASAP and not allow the drains/CHRA's to fill, if it does the oil is pushed past otherwise good oil seals. So the vast majority of cars that deviate from this vacuum applied rule will end up smokers, which will additionally cause oil to coke and build up on the turbines which certainly doesn't aid in their survival either.

Bunch of rethinking needs to go into this even if it is trying to figure out which demographic it may work best with... and there maybe some (ie. maybe ST high power BB Turbo guys).

Keep in mind we base this off of years on the platform and literally hundreds upon hundreds of emails in offline discussions from all walks of N54 modded life... pulling the PCV function is overwhelming a mistake.

Rob

Reactions: MattGu40

BKBMW335I

Lurker
Mar 30, 2017
Ride
BMW 335I CONVERTIBLE E93 N55
It's not the first or even second time I've seen you post the exact same type of reply in the N54 section to then complain about the N55 not getting the love you want it to. Contact the vendors directly or complain about it in the N55 section. I'd love to be able to say, "you don't see N54 people complaining in other engine sections when a vendor doesn't offer us the same thing, but I honestly have no clue if they do or not." Why? Because I don't go there because I have an N54, not an N55.

Totally not trying to be a dick, just pointing out that this is not the right section.

You may not be trying to come across a dick but in all honesty you are.

Just who in the hell are you to count what inquiries I post or why I'm here in the N54 section and not the N55 section asking questions.

In all honesty it's really none of your business and I'm trying to sound like a dick just so you know how you are coming across even though you have no right to.

FYI, if you really must know why I'm here and not in the N55 section asking is simply because the Vendors are here, not there.
Otherwise I'd be more than delighted to ask them there especially since you seem to be the only dick that is offended by me trying to encourage the Vendors to support our platform and make them a little money in the process.
But I digress because the point of this is that this forum is for all 335s and I love these cars and have mad respect for the N54s but this isn't a forum where you get to dictate who asks what or not.
You have a nice day Son.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Should we...have a dance battle?

TXhVsrq.gif

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
You may not be trying to come across a dick but in all honesty you are.

Just who in the hell are you to count what inquiries I post or why I'm here in the N54 section and not the N55 section asking questions.

In all honesty it's really none of your business and I'm trying to sound like a dick just so you know how you are coming across even though you have no right to.

FYI, if you really must know why I'm here and not in the N55 section asking is simply because the Vendors are here, not there.
Otherwise I'd be more than delighted to ask them there especially since you seem to be the only dick that is offended by me trying to encourage the Vendors to support our platform and make them a little money in the process.
But I digress because the point of this is that this forum is for all 335s and I love these cars and have mad respect for the N54s but this isn't a forum where you get to dictate who asks what or not.
You have a nice day Son.

You should really learn to focus all that aggression on something useful. And I'm not black. Calling me son doesn't faze me, bro.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride

I didn't read the second article, but the first article essentially says exactly what we're all saying about how important to optimum performance and part life that the crankcase be under vacuum, and at the very least, never under positive pressure. Are you suggesting it says otherwise? Trying to figure out why you posted it since it kind of contradicts you in a few posts.

Omar@VaderSolutions

Lieutenant
Premium Vendor
Oct 19, 2016
NY & AZ
vadersolution.com
Ride
N54 135i & N54 335i
I understand butmy point was that every platform states that you need a pcv system ... then there are others in the same platform providing info about not needing t ... negative crank pressure is ideal I get it , need a vacuum pump for that underload but at low pressure I still don't see where the need for pcv system is

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
I understand butmy point was that every platform states that you need a pcv system ... then there are others in the same platform providing info about not needing t ... negative crank pressure is ideal I get it , need a vacuum pump for that underload but at low pressure I still don't see where the need for pcv system is

PCV systems are pretty important for most street cars. There is a ton of information online about it, just google away and find the many of perks... all that seems senseless to remove for street use.

Platform related however there is a post we just made above that describes quite a bit why the vacuum at low load is important. Keep in mind also that the N54 isn't a Supra, LSx, or the like. The N54 engine is positioned at approx. 30* which does NOT help at all with the turbo positioning nor oil draining. The OEM oil drains are short, kinked up with bends, and they do not have not much vertical draining assistance due to this overall design.

For turbo setups that are higher up such as a TOP Mount and especially a BB Top Mount that requires much less oil flow, draining should be more ideal enough and if you are ok with removing the PCV perks (ie. its your race car) then all out VTA maybe ok for you.

But for your typical bottom mount setups (twin or single) where draining is a bit more cramped and especially on JB turbos that flow a lot more oil through the CHRA (which moreso tax the drains)... you want to keep the vacuum as you need all the help you can get to keep the CHRA from filling due to poor draining.

VTA has its place, it just doesn't seem to work well on this platform too well, it is really hit or miss and mostly miss.

Rob

Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
I was about to comment on the same mentioning. For the sake of daily use (Like myself) this could possibly cause issues BUT, I am not saying this design isn't a step forward. Innovation is what has got us where we are and, if some checks were in place this system you have would work fine for all types of cars. If you car is meant to only be on long enough to do a pass.. Probably not going to do anything negative. If you drive across country, in traffic, drive thrus, drive-ins, etc... This has the CHANCE of it happening.

I still feel like this is a good step forward. I still think that the design can be used by all types of builds but, it needs a little more innovation to round it out.

Don't focus on the objective, focus on how it performed the task at hand.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
I have a Mocal pump and it will run dry or wet but it needs to be gravity fed so it was mounted lower than turbo. I have a 10an line from turbo to pump and from pump to welded fitting in pan. Then i have rb pcv kit with flapper going into 2 mishimotto occs. One is 2 port and the other is a 3 port for better flow.

Were you having turbo drain issues? JW what prompted you to spend $$$ on the Mocal setup :)

• Agree
Reactions: Omar@VaderSolutions