Value of adding WMI to ethanol mix

Alex Vasilevskiy

Nov 18, 2016
Cleveland OH
I have an 07 N54 FBO w/inlets and stage 2 lpfp. In the summer I run the e85 BEF with e50ish mix.. Never really had issues with misfires except once maybe d/t possible bad mixing of ethanol. I am now thinking about adding WMI to help with cooling and boost octane. Is there any value in doing this in terms of whp gain over what I am already running?

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I would think dpmi could help tiny bit but really on stock snails their better ways to spend money

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
No there's no value. The ethanol is evaporating in cylinder and cooling the air but your tmap is too far upstream to see it.

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
Id just use it for temperature control, small-medium nozzle(s)

Middle of summer in the heat having something that can knock you 30 degrees under ambient is worthwhile

Alex Vasilevskiy

Nov 18, 2016
Cleveland OH
Temp control and extra octane as safety was primarily my focus to get the car to run consistently. At the drag strip is where I was really have had temp issues even with the VRSF 7in. Going to run it on map 3 with E85 BEF as that seems to be the most aggressive boost map on the JB4 and see how it looks. Have the VRSF chargepipe so going to go with a single CM10 nozzle.

Reactions: Torgus and typedRew

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
Yeah unfortunately since our water pump does such a good job regulating temp, the fan isnt on enough to pull through the IC in the staging lanes.

When you get up there even if its a great intercooler you'll still be well over ambient and wont get good temp drop until youre past the 330ft.

If you can get a meth kit on it I think that would really improve your situation because staging lanes kill performance on these cars that hate heat so much. Id also load it up on the converter and do a test launch before pulling to the line, that will get some meth flowing and the intake temp sensor should see some cooler air if only for a second to get your starting iat lower and further away from decay.

Reactions: Alex Vasilevskiy

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
Might as well run 90% water

How do these cars react to heavier water mixtures? In my experience with direct injection it really prefers heavy meth mixes and/or straight meth even if not specifically tuned for it. But every car could be different.

I know my old port injection projects liked a lot of water and didn't benefit as much from heavy meth.

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
So say if one is running dual cm10 nozzles in chargepipe,what's the limit methanol/water mix so you dont hydrolock the motor?
Another question, running more water would help on cooling better in resulting hpfp not struggling as much as oppose to running say 100% meth?

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
I run a single cm15 nozzle, with 28% meth content. ( exteme blue -20 washer fluid. ) on top of a full e85 port injection. If anything, it'll help keep piston rings cooler, and iats way down. It saved my pistons from demolishing, but didnt help the rods any on the last stock motor running 27-32lbs depending on the tune i wanted. For whatever thats worth lol. I use about a gallon every 4 or 5 pulls id say. If anything, its good insurance if you dont mind filling it up.

Reactions: screaminfast

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Thread jack kinda?

Installing upgraded twins right now, with inlets and outlets. Should I grab a meth kit, or keep getting barrels of e98 and adding to my tank about e20 to crank the boost? One barrel is almost the price of used bmw kit.

I vote get a meth kit. What is nice is you set it up to spray at a certain psi. I set mine at 15psi so the only time it will spray is when I am actually getting on it which is when I want it to inject.

Meth is not very expensive and if you mix with water it goes a fairly long way between fillups if you will. Worse comes to worse you can put in WW fluid etc. 2 in the charge pipe I would start with.

With the e98 you are using it 100% of the time. At idle at a stop light or at wot.

Which twins did you go with?

Make sure you buy a meth kit with some built in safeties btw.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I would think the hassle of having a barrel delivered, the space for it in the garage, and then having to add fuel from it every partial fill up and not being able to go WOT after a fill up until you have topped off with the Ethanol, is a greater hassle than the one time meth kit install. But that is just me. Or, do both and boost even higher psi.

Last edited:

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
I would think the hassle of having a barrel delivered the space for it, and having to add fuel from it every fill up is greater than the one time meth kit install. But that is just me. Or, do both and boost even higher psi.
Lets get a barrel sent up for a test run, still at 410?

screaminfast

Sergeant
Feb 18, 2017
Rochester NY
mikecentola.com
Ride
07 SG/CR 335i / 17 X6 x35i
I run a single cm15 nozzle, with 28% meth content. ( exteme blue -20 washer fluid. ) on top of a full e85 port injection. If anything, it'll help keep piston rings cooler, and iats way down. It saved my pistons from demolishing, but didnt help the rods any on the last stock motor running 27-32lbs depending on the tune i wanted. For whatever thats worth lol. I use about a gallon every 4 or 5 pulls id say. If anything, its good insurance if you dont mind filling it up.

Which meth system are you running? This sounds like a good option for me as well. Currently going to use the BMS PI controller for port injection.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Which meth system are you running? This sounds like a good option for me as well. Currently going to use the BMS PI controller for port injection.
Alkycontrol kit. Except mines on the 13psi hobbs switch that turns on the 2nd lpfp.