Violent transmission shift: 6HP19 AT xHP Stage 3

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Everything was perfect before the "upgrade" lmao. So should I just order a rev max valve body or should I change solenoids again. Their was an issue with a weird sound on the 1 2 shift and dropped trans and brought to trans guy he said their was debris on solenoid. I wish he said change then if that was case but he took apart and checked everything. Sound did go away but after fluid change it does it within day or two again and only when warm

Try the revmax unit then. Let us know after a few weeks.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I knew you were gonna say that lmao. I just want make sure is it possible the unit could have been slightly worn and changing solenoids made worse ? I had no slips for anything and my adaptations are all good except a is showing positive values rest are negative. Just I been spending double on everything as usually with this car and I can get reimbursed for solenoids from fcp. Fml I'm gonna find out what a revmax costs. Do they do anything else besides solenoids and reaming for rebuild ?
Try the revmax unit then. Let us know after a few weeks.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I knew you were gonna say that lmao. I just want make sure is it possible the unit could have been slightly worn and changing solenoids made worse ? I had no slips for anything and my adaptations are all good except a is showing positive values rest are negative. Just I been spending double on everything as usually with this car and I can get reimbursed for solenoids from fcp. Fml I'm gonna find out what a revmax costs. Do they do anything else besides solenoids and reaming for rebuild ?
Revmax has heavy duty solenoids...billet. sould be good with upgraded trans.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Now I just have to explain to my wife how I said wait until well pump dies instead of replacing and I'm redoing my tranny that she said leave alone cause its fine lmao. I hate when she is right

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Revmax has heavy duty solenoids...billet. sould be good with upgraded trans.
K and my upgraded bushings wont be affected right I know very little about our internals I know you have had yours apart and I am kinda like you where any slight issue will drive me nuts and I have to fix and if indont do the best possible I'll prob end up doing again lol.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
K and my upgraded bushings wont be affected right I know very little about our internals I know you have had yours apart and I am kinda like you where any slight issue will drive me nuts and I have to fix and if indont do the best possible I'll prob end up doing again lol.

Anyone with an old 'e' gen who continues to pour cash into it by now is not in his logical mind...he (WE) live in a completely emotional psychosis...logic and smarts has no place here.

By the power of Zeus, I will upgrade this car until it is impossible to do so any more technically. Then I will go onto the next journey.

Last edited:

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93

Bushings are unaffected by solenoid upgrades... even if they are stock bushings. The ATF pressures are controlled by TCU calibration, the solenoids only open and close per TCU requests.

I have been and continue to drive with xHP testing all their options. So far, there are limited progress in each option. For example, when using the torque limiter on the "RWD" setting... I feel little difference to no setting. When using the 'reduce torque load engine request on shifting' option...also feel little difference. However, I do not get many opportunities to drive it full blast to see shifting behavior on any options of xHP. I will have to redo all options one by one and drive one week to adapt, then go on a full blast drive in normal mode, sport mode, and manual mode and write down notes of shift quality improvements if any.

Reactions: Jeffman

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Bushings are unaffected by solenoid upgrades... even if they are stock bushings. The ATF pressures are controlled by TCU calibration, the solenoids only open and close per TCU requests.

I have been and continue to drive with xHP testing all their options. So far, there are limited progress in each option. For example, when using the torque limiter on the "RWD" setting... I feel little difference to no setting. When using the 'reduce torque load engine request on shifting' option...also feel little difference. However, I do not get many opportunities to drive it full blast to see shifting behavior on any options of xHP. I will have to redo all options one by one and drive one week to adapt, then go on a full blast drive in normal mode, sport mode, and manual mode and write down notes of shift quality improvements if any.
Thought that was just me but options are dizzying and you have to save and back out menu each slider change or it doesn't always save all changes. It's very buggy on my note 9

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Thought that was just me but options are dizzying and you have to save and back out menu each slider change or it doesn't always save all changes. It's very buggy on my note 9

You must always press 'save settings' before moving to another screen. Otherwise it won't save anything.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
You must always press 'save settings' before moving to another screen. Otherwise it won't save anything.
I know but I also caught where I press save and make more changes like change d then press save go to S press save and when I check again d didn't save.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
So did your prob come back after the upgraded ekp ? I know you said it is way better but you also said that still dont like stage 3 and not sure how you liked having the torque reduction way I recommended.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
So did your prob come back after the upgraded ekp ? I know you said it is way better but you also said that still dont like stage 3 and not sure how you liked having the torque reduction way I recommended.

OK, here is the breakdown:

I. When I pushed the torque reduction upshift full to the left - -50%, the car was damn near uncontrollable. So I did -33, -33, -33,-40,-50 respectively. And I set torque reduction to 405,516, 700, 737, 737, 737. Now it shifts smoothly under normal driving and still not as ideal under high output. But better than before.

Now I do know what you are talking about when you say 1st to 2nd gear is clunky... mine is also clunky in that area too...however, it is ONLY when dragging in very slow traffic and 1st goes into 2nd gear...as in when I am stuck crawling in traffic...and doesn't matter if it is in sport or normal mode. So if this is what you are annoyed at, then I think it's a minor thing, because the car shifts perfectly when driving like a normal person... you cannot even tell it is shifting.

I believe that through constant adjustments and testing of settings, eventually we will arrive at the ideal settings for our PD unit. It is unfortunate that xHP are not interested in our situation. I also believe that replacing the VB with a RevMax will better the situation even more..although it may not make it perfect, still it would most likely be better than the VB we have currently.

This is because Revmax supposedly uses computer controlled bore machines that are superior to hand bores when they do their reaming process. And I do not believe that the German asshat in Georgia has that machine to do that...they have a dyno for transmission...but they do not have the machines that Revmax has because Revmax specializes in VB and is a bigger company than the small Georgia Eurotrans shop that does everything. The bore machine alone costs a shitload of money and I don't think a small shop like the German guy has the funds or business to invest in such a machine just for valve bodies.

As a result, I believe that I have an inferiorly remanufactured valve body that is a big part of the shifting problems we are both experiencing. This is mainly due to not only the above conjecture, but also personal witness of the valve body state and parts during my sonax zip kit overhaul. Nothing I saw in the valve body was upgraded, it was all stock and nothing extraordinary. By contrast, I have had a RevMax valve body before and I can tell you that their solenoids are indeed insanely built with star trek looking billet parts. And I have no reason to doubt that all their internal pistons and bores have been computer rebored and pistons replaced with pristine new ones.

So it appears that you will be the first one to see the benefits if you install a RevMax unit. I cannot do so at this point because of budget, but rest assured, I will when finances are in order.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
What kills me is how can xhp stage 3 be calibrated for pd and for stock trans at same time. Anyway I have to get the number off casting for ordering rev max valve body so I ordered new solenoids and mechatronics sleeves again since i can get refund from fcp so I am giving it shot and then will order the rev max if that doesnt work.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Just checking in to see how everyone’s tranny has been working. I never changed anything on the tranny since first starting this topic 18 months ago / 4K miles ago other than upgrading to V3.0 of xHP Stage 3 with Standard Flash Settings (nothing checked on). (Side note: I just upgraded and replaced my front suspension -tie rods, thrust arms, ball joints and front control arms- on my 335xi 6AT - car had been sitting for three weeks while I slowly did the work in my garage.) While out testing today I got several unexpected downshifts from (I think) 4th to 3rd gear (maybe it was 5th to 3rd?) in M mode.
Here are my adaptations. Any comments?
Thanks in advance.
643673DB-CBDB-4C56-8DB6-CB2706878672.jpeg
245B4F7B-1A85-4884-9AD0-3AB61C5CC026.jpeg

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
E70 X5d, E39 528iT, E46 325xi
You should contact Rod Sutphin on the NA diesel Facebook group. He recently started tweaking N54 6HP transmissions and has had some great success in it. Not sure if he's on here? I think he may be.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
You should contact Rod Sutphin on the NA diesel Facebook group. He recently started tweaking N54 6HP transmissions and has had some great success in it. Not sure if he's on here? I think he may be.
Thanks. Yes, I’ve heard of Rod and I will probably reach out to him since I tuned my own custom flex fuel ECU and now am interested in co-tuning it with the TCU.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Just checking in to see how everyone’s tranny has been working. I never changed anything on the tranny since first starting this topic 18 months ago / 4K miles ago other than upgrading to V3.0 of xHP Stage 3 with Standard Flash Settings (nothing checked on). (Side note: I just upgraded and replaced my front suspension -tie rods, thrust arms, ball joints and front control arms- on my 335xi 6AT - car had been sitting for three weeks while I slowly did the work in my garage.) While out testing today I got several unexpected downshifts from (I think) 4th to 3rd gear (maybe it was 5th to 3rd?) in M mode.
Here are my adaptations. Any comments?
Thanks in advance.View attachment 40566View attachment 40567
Also, no TCU errors. No codes.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Thanks. Yes, I’ve heard of Rod and I will probably reach out to him since I tuned my own custom flex fuel ECU and now am interested in co-tuning it with the TCU.

I tell you what...Rod tuned my ECU and V8Bait tuned my PS2 High Flows and the car is almost indistinguishable in smoothness from factory... you would not know it is suped up unless you press the gas far enough, then you shit your pants. Rod's ECU tuning literally fix my Propulsive Dynamics Transmission to what it should feel like, smooth, predictable and powerful...fast shifts. Did I mention SMOOTH?

He's a stand up fella as far as I have experienced. V8Bait has excellent skills and service also. Can't lose with either one.

Reactions: Jeffman