VTT GC highest mileage cars

colo_evo

Corporal
Jun 6, 2017
Ride
E90 335i MT
On the V1 GC series the lites had significantly better spool than the full GC's. The GC V2.0's close the gap considerably. So much so, that's what's going on my personal car (still have the old Stage 2+'s on her!). To each their own, of course. I generally talk with customers about power goals, how they actually use the car, what transmission, fuel, etc and help them sort out what's the better fit for them.

Chris

So all the reliability issues from the gc v1 and early v2's have been resolved on the new v2's (v2.2 v2+ or whatever you want to call them).

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
Most singles will have a lot more lag. People often mix up spool and lag. Spool is rotordynamically driven, meaning where in the RPM band you make power. Lag is responsiveness, when you make power, or "time-to-torque". Spool and lag are certainly in bed with one another, but are not the same thing. A dyno plot will show you spool, not lag. You guys know this, just not all of you have put 2 and 2 together. Think of the big supra drag cars you see staging at the line. How long do they spend spooling up the turbo? Now imagine how that 1/4 mile time would change if they had to start the race at a steady-state 5 mph. Great dyno plots though, and perfect for their application, but not useful for real-world driving (most of the time).

If you want a responsive vehicle, you want turbos that spool early in the RPM band (important!) and have extreme responsiveness (important!!). This translates into a very high degree of "driveability", and for most people it means more fun. Other platforms (especially NA) spend a lot of time and energy pursuing that responsiveness. There is a reason for this.

IMO large turbo small displacement engines are boring to drive anywhere but a track or flogging it 10/10. Turbo design and motor tech has certainly made it a lot better than it was say, 10 years ago, but on anything but a race car a laggy turbo mostly just adds angst when trying to perform real-life maneuvers, like pulling out in front of someone in traffic and needing a reasonable amount of power right now. Most of you have experienced this. Pedal on the floor.... wait.... wait.... car getting closer in your mirror..... Oh, hey, there's some power, thanks for showing up! You can reduce a lot of this frustration with predictive driving habits -which is always a good idea- but a low-lag turbo system wins all day long IMO.

Now on a dedicated 1/4 or 1/2 mile race car, who cares, all we want to do is move the most air possible, she could take as long as she wants to spool up, once it's go time it'll stay spooled for the whole race. This would be why we have large turbos on the Stage 3 kit on the shop race car.

On the V1 GC series the lites had significantly better spool than the full GC's. The GC V2.0's close the gap considerably. So much so, that's what's going on my personal car (still have the old Stage 2+'s on her!). To each their own, of course. I generally talk with customers about power goals, how they actually use the car, what transmission, fuel, etc and help them sort out what's the better fit for them.

Chris

Great post.

Anyway reliability aside do you care to elaborate on how a turbo would perform if you were to machine it incorrectly such that the diffuser is cut for nearly 12mm (on a turbine tip height of 8.5mm) combined with the inducer sticking into the turbine volute over 2mm on the entire circumference?

You are a very knowledgable man and surely have more to add to post #16, don't be a Tony and play dumb when you know you're on the hook. Is that how you'd expect to machine the turbochargers you are trying sell here? Don't you see that lack of quality in product design and cringe? Any plans to resolve this hammer/chisel looking machining efforts or just keep acting like it doesn't exist? To anyone who has any grip on anything technical, this entire GC product line is clearly comprised of years of scrapped housings.

So all the reliability issues from the gc v1 and early v2's have been resolved on the new v2's (v2.2 v2+ or whatever you want to call them).

No. They are still dropping like flies and with a straight face they are trying to pretend they are not and keep on selling them. And until they decide to look into the above issues, it will always be the case. Perhaps they will listen around the GC 5.0 era circa 2024. See post #16 if you want to know how to confirm that you have one of these goobered up products.

Rob

Last edited:

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
The turbine issues of the V1's have been resolved.

Chris

This can be read as you no longer use the V1 turbines thus their issues are resolved, one must be careful on how they read these sorts of responses from this sort of "slippery" vendor.

Or can you clarify that what you mean to say is that you've also seen NO tossed fins on any of the GC 2.0 units? Or how about the latest GC 2.0 units? If so when did the "latest" GC 2.0 units begin shipping, and when was the latest production GC 2.0 units you've seen still tossing fins?

We get it that problems can happen, but you just can't keep making changes and saying "we've seen no problems with our latest updates" when your latest change began shipping last month. (keeping in mind you have at least a couple known versions of GC 2.0s now)

Rob

Reactions: colo_evo

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
This can be read as you no longer use the V1 turbines thus their issues are resolved, one must be careful on how they read these sorts of responses from this sort of "slippery" vendor.

Or can you clarify that what you mean to say is that you've also seen NO tossed fins on any of the GC 2.0 units? Or how about the latest GC 2.0 units? If so when did the "latest" GC 2.0 units begin shipping, and when was the latest production GC 2.0 units you've seen still tossing fins?

We get it that problems can happen, but you just can't keep making changes and saying "we've seen no problems with our latest updates" when your latest change began shipping last month. (keeping in mind you have at least a couple known versions of GC 2.0s now)

Rob

If you don't like the product, maybe try another brand?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Dear Rob,

If you haven't noticed nobody is replying to your posts. That might be because the title of this thread isn't "What does Rob think about his competitors products". There is a reason Tony is not on this forum, it is because he continually required me to intervene due to his inability to know when to keep to himself. He openly admits this and it is water under the bridge.

So in this case I find it funny you are referencing him as a dummy because not only are you using personal insults for the countless time, but you are also a Vendor and have special rules that apply to you and this is getting you banned. Who is the dummy? Rule #5 states that you can do and say pretty much anything you want, but in the name of professionalism we ask that be within the confines of the Octagon. Openly criticizing another company at every opportunity is not only classless, and REALLY old for the people who have been around for more than a month, but it yields a mud slinging fest that you have CLEARLY not won since 2010.

To put that into perspective, we've been hearing you whine about VTT for nine years, I think we've heard enough. At this point the only thing that happens is I have to move your posts and then listen to you piss and moan about it in another thread. You are officially removed from the board because the amount of time I spend baby sitting your posts has surpassed any potential value that you were bringing to this community. My MOST VALUABLE resource is time and you are putting me into time debt.

Please welcome our newest addition to the collection of people who all have something in common:

@Steve@Fuel-It! -> Only cares about his money, complete refusal to abide by any rules
@Tony@VargasTurboTech -> No explanation necessary
@Jerry -> Customers chargeback purchases and he opens new Paypal accounts. Great scam, he made more by not delivering anything.
@786dynamics -> Delivered the wrong M Tech bumpers to some people, stopped responding and left a few people high and dry
@Ajehoti -> No explanation needed
@George_N54 (AJ's buddy)
@Shemar_n54 (AJ's buddy)

Outside of some spammers, this is literally the entire ban list on this forum and shows just how lenient we have been. So this is quite an exclusive group we have here, in fact I may even make a special section out of the way where you guys can post, we could call it SpoolStreet Jail.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
So this is quite an exclusive group we have here,
... and as I read the above sentence I thought, man we should do something special that coincides with such exclusivity ...
in fact I may even make a special section out of the way where you guys can post, we could call it SpoolStreet Jail./QUOTE]
... and then I read the rest of the sentence ... yep ... nailed it.

Filippo

• Agree
Reactions: Jeffman

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Dear Rob,

If you haven't noticed nobody is replying to your posts. That might be because the title of this thread isn't "What does Rob think about his competitors products". There is a reason Tony is not on this forum, it is because he continually required me to intervene due to his inability to know when to keep to himself. He openly admits this and it is water under the bridge.

So in this case I find it funny you are referencing him as a dummy because not only are you using personal insults for the countless time, but you are also a Vendor and have special rules that apply to you and this is getting you banned. Who is the dummy? Rule #5 states that you can do and say pretty much anything you want, but in the name of professionalism we ask that be within the confines of the Octagon. Openly criticizing another company at every opportunity is not only classless, and REALLY old for the people who have been around for more than a month, but it yields a mud slinging fest that you have CLEARLY not won since 2010.

To put that into perspective, we've been hearing you whine about VTT for nine years, I think we've heard enough. At this point the only thing that happens is I have to move your posts and then listen to you piss and moan about it in another thread. You are officially removed from the board because the amount of time I spend baby sitting your posts has surpassed any potential value that you were bringing to this community. My MOST VALUABLE resource is time and you are putting me into time debt.

Please welcome our newest addition to the collection of people who all have something in common:

@Steve@Fuel-It! -> Only cares about his money, complete refusal to abide by any rules
@Tony@VargasTurboTech -> No explanation necessary
@Jerry -> Customers chargeback purchases and he opens new Paypal accounts. Great scam, he made more by not delivering anything.
@786dynamics -> Delivered the wrong M Tech bumpers to some people, stopped responding and left a few people high and dry
@Ajehoti -> No explanation needed
@George_N54 (AJ's buddy)
@Shemar_n54 (AJ's buddy)

Outside of some spammers, this is literally the entire ban list on this forum and shows just how lenient we have been. So this is quite an exclusive group we have here, in fact I may even make a special section out of the way where you guys can post, we could call it SpoolStreet Jail.

* mic drop *

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
* mic drop *

LOL. I dont know what looks worse, ROB getting banned from spoolstreet forums, or rob getting banned from the spoolstreet forums for posting in VTT's thread...

Popcorn-Emoji-worried.png

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
Well you can only give someone enough warnings

I wasnt talking about his ban. I was talking about how the ban must feel considering the post that got him banned was from a VTT thread. So the ban probably hurt more than if he was banned from a post he made in a non VTT thread.

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
I wasn't referring to any one's post, thats why there is no quote.

Haha my bad. I replied from my email notification thinking I was quoted lol, and just realized that as you didnt quote me.

Last edited:

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Thanks for the input. 35k is pretty good mileage, yet you recommend another brand. How come?

Knowing what you know now which twins would you go with? Single is out of the question, to much lag.

Sorry, not been on here for a while.
It's pretty much been covered now but I've probably been sold a set of defective turbos (known to be defective) for quite a lot of money. As I had to import mine it cost more than most with the import duty and shipping. Then I've potentially paid someone for 2 days to install ticking time bombs. If a turbine wheel let's go at high boost it can do some serious collateral damage.
I suspect the only reason my turbos have survived is because I've always run large amounts of water meth injection and the temps have been kept lower than normal helping to delay or prevent the turbine delamination.
Of course this should never have been a factor. A replacement set would have been a nice gesture.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Sorry, not been on here for a while.
It's pretty much been covered now but I've probably been sold a set of defective turbos (known to be defective) for quite a lot of money. As I had to import mine it cost more than most with the import duty and shipping. Then I've potentially paid someone for 2 days to install ticking time bombs. If a turbine wheel let's go at high boost it can do some serious collateral damage.
I suspect the only reason my turbos have survived is because I've always run large amounts of water meth injection and the temps have been kept lower than normal helping to delay or prevent the turbine delamination.
Of course this should never have been a factor. A replacement set would have been a nice gesture.
No offense sir, but this is ridiculous. So you bought turbos that have lasted you 35K without issue, yet here you are bashing us saying we should have sent you a free replacement set for turbos that didn't fail? We have MANY sets of V1's still on the road. We just got back a set of V1 from a customer who wrecked his car after 45K miles of hard driving, not water meth, and racing basically every weekend without fail. You want to know why you think every set of V1's failed? Because you drink the Kool-Aid of people like rob who try to boost their sales by bashing other offerings instead of letting them stand on their own merit. We had some wheel failures sure, so we addressed them and moved on. That always was, and still is a small percentage of overall sales contrary to what people who have no idea what they are talking about say. Remember, 99% of the time, happy people do not post. So you never hear from the guy with 45K on V1's for the most part. Again blown away by a customer with a product that has served him so well complaining about the experience. Cant win them all I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISnotM3

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
No offense sir, but this is ridiculous. So you bought turbos that have lasted you 35K without issue, yet here you are bashing us saying we should have sent you a free replacement set for turbos that didn't fail? We have MANY sets of V1's still on the road. We just got back a set of V1 from a customer who wrecked his car after 45K miles of hard driving, not water meth, and racing basically every weekend without fail. You want to know why you think every set of V1's failed? Because you drink the Kool-Aid of people like rob who try to boost their sales by bashing other offerings instead of letting them stand on their own merit. We had some wheel failures sure, so we addressed them and moved on. That always was, and still is a small percentage of overall sales contrary to what people who have no idea what they are talking about say. Remember, 99% of the time, happy people do not post. So you never hear from the guy with 45K on V1's for the most part. Again blown away by a customer with a product that has served him so well complaining about the experience. Cant win them all I guess.

Ridiculous is selling a defective product and keeping the money my friend. Plus leaving your customers at risk of expensive damage to the rest of their car. You put your customers at unnecessary risk.
You have no idea how long I've been on boost so you have no idea how hard I've used them during those miles. Without methanol they'd have probably exploded long ago.

But maybe that's your business mantra

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Those turbos seem to have lasted more that most stock turbos of hard driving, any turbos that last more than 30k in the performance world is a good set of turbos especially
on our cars as they are usually spun far beyond their limits.

I've seen a garret single turbos last way less than that.

My last set of turbos lasted 1500 km (1k miles) and then the second around 10000 km (7k miles) and they have never seen more than 60% WGDC and 21psi or less
from another manufacturer which shall not be named and this cost me huge amounts of cash as we too have to pay import duties and labour to do this.

Then its up to your tuner to tune them for reliability or performance, if you want them to last don't tune them to the limit of what they can run.

Nothing lasts forever

I've got the gc 2.0 (not the latest revisions and not even the revisions before that) and they are running between 25 to 28psi and they lasted over 10k miles.

If they last at least another 10k I'll be very happy at the power level I'm making and what I put them through, I've pulled out the inlets and dumps only just last week to test
some new upcoming products we will be making and the turbos still looked and bearings felt like new and that includes well over 100 + dyno runs.

If you like a refresh of your turbos you will have to pay for it especially if there is nothing wrong with them, prevention is cheaper than cure but at the same time your turbos could last another 35k so why do you think a manufacturer would refresh a set of turbos if there was nothing wrong with them for free because there has been a number of reported failures and what about the hundreds of set still running with no issues.

All manufacturers have failures and if you believe there isn't your dreaming.

I know of one case of a very well known manufacturer that if the customer posted his failure online they will not fix his turbos under warranty and they do this often i've been told.

But that maybe bullshit who knows but I do know this particular customer and he has no reason to do this so I tend to believe him as he has a no expense spared ride, I'll be pulling his turbos out next few months to put the latest gc's in as he has seen what mine went through and wants the same issueless experience.

Last edited: