VTT GC highest mileage cars

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
If you like a refresh of your turbos you will have to pay for it especially if there is nothing wrong with them, prevention is cheaper than cure but at the same time your turbos could last another 35k so why do you think a manufacturer would refresh a set of turbos if there was nothing wrong with them for free because there has been a number of reported failures and what about the hundreds of set still running with no issues.

The best example of this is BMW. Its vastly known that they had wategate issues with wategate rattle and BMW didnt replace all those turbos that were working as designed, but they did replace those that failed. There are plenty of 335i's out there with over 150k miles still running there stock turbos.

If BMW replaced every set of turbo attached go every BMW they would go out of bussiness if they were a small company, but a company like BMW could survive that yet they still choose to only replace the defective turbos.

ISnotM3

Jul 15, 2017
Ride
335is DCT
I've got gen 1 GC Lites. I put them on at 53k after my warranty ran out in 2016 and now at 79k I'm still very happy with my purchase. I daily the car with a 93oct 22psi tune and have ran ethanol mixes only a handful of times. So I can't say I've pushed them very hard. But... I've got a single barrely shotgun hpfp setup that's been sitting in the corner of my garage for about a year and with how well my GC's have treated me, I'm not afraid to install it and go 25psi or higher on full e85. I actually can't wait til I'm able to have it installed (I can't do it, in a wheelchair) because I'm very confident those turbos will be able to give me 600whp+ for well past 100k miles. I'll admit... these turbos and other VTT parts have turned me into a bit of a VTT fanboy.

Jymmijamez

Feb 16, 2018
Denver
Ride
2009 BMW 135i
I've had my Gen 1 GC Lites for 2+ years and about 23k now, been hitting 1/4 mile events and 1/2 mile, and just over 100k. Running at elevation and can hit 23psi at 5200 ft elevation.

shushikiary

Sergeant
Jun 4, 2018
Ride
335xi
My GC 2.0's made it almost 20k miles, then the front turbo shaft broke and the turbine shaved its self down against the housing pretty good. I'm also at altitude and was pushing upper 80's WGDC at 7k RPM to hold 22 PSI on hot summer days. In the cold they would easily hold 24 psi to red line at 70% WGDC.

VTT did tear down and could not find an immediate reason for the failure. They were going to replace them for free under warranty but I opted to upgrade with them. Now I'll be running their new GC+ setup. I did this because I wanted to reduce shaft speed for longevity. If I'm going to try to push 26.5 or even 24 PSI to red line on stupid hot summer days at altitude, I'd like to do it with under 75% WGDC. So hopefully this will help.

I'm thankful to VTT for holding up their warranty like that.

zoltanic

Private
Nov 26, 2022
I have around 10k on them running 25 to 28 psi and they are not the latest versions either.

They are awesome on 93 and make more power the car can handle
Im running the GC+.. Just waiting on a tune to feel it out.. Tell me more about yours

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I split my block across cylinders 2,3,4 and 5 and currently waiting to the motor to be finished as the oil pump chain drive guide broke during assembly, as soon as its finished hopefully next week I'll begin running it in.

The good thing is I already have the perfect tune for this setup so it will take a lot of strain off the car and turbos.

I refreshed mine around 2 years ago to the latest offerings when I lifted the head and are currently sitting on my new motor waiting to do their thing, the latest cores have done around 10k and a 5 hr pounding at the track. These have been insane thus far.

I know people had lots of issues with their previous ones but these have been stellar.

jimip

May 25, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Ride
E90 335i Msport
I'm going on about 4 years/@60,000kms of daily use from my GC V1's. Been running the same tune, 20psi and making 300kw ATW the whole time, no real dramas otherthan I do need to run MHD rattle fix or they rattle pretty bad. The car ran 12.3/116mph at calder a few weeks ago with a pretty gentle launch/2.0 60ft so i guess theyre still making the power...

Reactions: zoltanic