Ad: VTT - New Product Release - Billet Motor Mount Inserts

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey Chris, what do I buy for the N55 m2? The driver side and passenger side motor mounts are different with only one mount being shared with the s55 and the other being an unshared part number with any bmw.

Well, the S55 series will fit at least the one mount. We're not sure about the other side since it isn't cross-referenced to anything and we haven't checked that one specifically.

Chris

Reactions: F87Source

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
Well, the S55 series will fit at least the one mount. We're not sure about the other side since it isn't cross-referenced to anything and we haven't checked that one specifically.

Chris
Thanks for your reply! I guess keep us m2 owners posted when you figure that out so we can grab a set!

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Just curious why you'd run driver side only? I took measurements on stock motor mounts on my car around 30k miles (most of those at stock HP) and the passenger side mount was collapsed - total junk. The driver side motor mount looked pretty good. The problem child is on the compression side of the motor. And if you are running the $10,000,000 iS mount then I'd be concerned about not having to spend $10,000,000 each time that mount takes a crap. In the N54 case, whether you know it or not (i.e. take your factory mounts out and measure them), the passenger-side mount is getting destroyed. I suspect it is a fatigue failure caused by rate of change and/or extent of compression and extension. Seems like these would limit those factors.

I'm guessing the inserts may limit compression and expansion material abuse and prolong the life of the motor mounts. If you are running stock Corteco mounts, they are cheap and who cares (that is, buy them primarily for performance reasons). But if you are running the cubic zirconia iS mounts, getting longevity out of your depreciating asset might be a bigger reason for considering this setup. Just a thought.

I'm on Rev 1 of the Revshift 80a - love them with RE rubber trans mounts, but I'm on a manual transmission. If and when those fail, I'll buy the VTT inserts and some Corteco mounts, most likely, and call it a day.

Filippo

Last edited:
L

Lurker-773329

Just curious why you'd run driver side only? I took measurements on stock motor mounts on my car around 30k miles (most of those at stock HP) and the passenger side mount was collapsed - total junk. The driver side motor mount looked pretty good. The problem child is on the compression side of the motor. And if you are running the $10,000,000 iS mount then I'd be concerned about not having to spend $10,000,000 each time that mount takes a crap. In the N54 case, whether you know it or not (i.e. take your factory mounts out and measure them), the passenger-side mount is getting destroyed. I suspect it is a fatigue failure caused by rate of change and/or extent of compression and extension. Seems like these would limit those factors.

I'm guessing the inserts may limit compression and expansion material abuse and prolong the life of the motor mounts. If you are running stock Corteco mounts, they are cheap and who cares (that is, buy them primarily for performance reasons). But if you are running the cubic zirconia iS mounts, getting longevity out of your depreciating asset might be a bigger reason for considering this setup. Just a thought.

I'm on Rev 1 of the Revshift 80a - love them with RE rubber trans mounts, but I'm on a manual transmission. If and when those fail, I'll buy the VTT inserts and some Corteco mounts, most likely, and call it a day.

Filippo

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is

Filippo

blahahahahaha... Cubic Zirconia iS mounts. :D

Well, I've been trying to get some information on this earlier in the thread. I thought I had mentioned that I think the passenger is worse off due to the amount of weight it is holding, but "ruining" the comfort of the extremely expensive 'iS mount would not be ideal (since it seems like the insert is a permanent alteration?).

I am not made of money and don't want to bring back the horrible NVH I've experienced by "ruining" an 'iS mount.

[EDIT] Not trying to say that these inserts ruin any mounts... just trying to prevent making the stock feel of 'iS mount feel anywhere like the poly mounts... :)

Lurcher

Sergeant
Apr 6, 2018
Dallas, TX but soon to be Cocoa Beach FL
Ride
2012 z4
I am not made of money and don't want to bring back the horrible NVH I've experienced by "ruining" an 'iS mount.

Nor do I want to waste my time ($) having to do this again relatively quickly. I'm sure someone who is paying for this work will eventually read this thread and want some opinions on what the perceived best solution is vs doing this 2-3 times to get it right (whatever that "right" is to that person).

As I gain power, if I'm F'ing up a mount every 5-6k miles, I'm looking for a better solution than stock from the get-go. It's not like bleeding your brakes, I don't want to have to do this again for a while..

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Just wanted to update that Im still running these and still very happy with them. I tried lowering the idle rpm but that is a no go.

Did anyone ever try the IS-mounts in combination with these?

Reactions: ShocknAwe

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Just wanted to update that Im still running these and still very happy with them. I tried lowering the idle rpm but that is a no go.

Did anyone ever try the IS-mounts in combination with these?

Kick ass!

I am about to install these with the IS-mounts and the OEM mount... Have had the car in pieces since December for rear end work... front end work is next! Will post updates when I can.

Reactions: Jeffman and Asbjorn

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I’m still on my original 12 yo stock N54 motor mounts 70K miles 335xi. I suspect it’s time to change them and am looking forward to hearing how the various combinations will result for you guys.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Whew! Finally got engine mounts changed.

I got the VTT inserts installed on the Cortego (OE mount) for driver side.

IMG_2175.JPEG

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the 'iS mount to use the inserts. While the driver side was easy to push on and then hammer on... the 'iS mount did not want to fit at _all_.... Being so expensive I didn't wail on it, but took measurements.

IMG_2176.JPEG

IMG_2180.JPEG
IMG_2179.JPEG

IMG_2177.JPEG
IMG_2178.JPEG

I can't wait to drive it tomorrow!

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Whew! Finally got engine mounts changed.

I got the VTT inserts installed on the Cortego (OE mount) for driver side.

View attachment 42685

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the 'iS mount to use the inserts. While the driver side was easy to push on and then hammer on... the 'iS mount did not want to fit at _all_.... Being so expensive I didn't wail on it, but took measurements.

View attachment 42686
View attachment 42687View attachment 42690
View attachment 42688View attachment 42689

I can't wait to drive it tomorrow!

So the rubber used with the IS mount is larger? Did you consider removing some of the rubber?

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
So the rubber used with the IS mount is larger? Did you consider removing some of the rubber?

That is certainly what it seems like. I apologize for not measuring the driver side mount but I had the insert installed already... whoops.

I have been on the fence about modifying the 'iS mount, even with inserts. My last OE/BMW 'iS mount lasted me 100k miles and I don't think it is a weak link in my setup. So... this works out for me. I did not modify.

When the subframe is dropped (using engine hoist), mounts are easy... I can always modify the 'iS in the future. :)

HOWEVER

IMG_2186.JPEG

This book is a freaking liar. 41 ft-lbs sheared the bolt without an issue. (18 ft/lb is what you want!)

IMG_2187.JPEG

What a nightmare to get this bolt out... of... the expensive 'iS mount. LOL

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: NoQuarter

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Honestly I'm stunned that you had a passenger motor mount last 100k miles. The iS mount is really that much better? My standard mount was crushed in less than 30k miles.

I believe on the motor mounts, there are two different torque specs, depending whether upper or lower fastener. From the TIS: 28nm (20 ft lbs) and 68nm (50 ft lbs). Smaller bolt is bottom side at 28nm. Don't know if the iS is different.

Filippo

Reactions: derekgates