VTT New Product Release Overview!

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
@Chris@VargasTurboTech maybe you guys could machine up the TMAP auxiliary manifold tap for the BOVs. I ordered one from Vader Solutions 3 weeks ago, got billed and got a tracking number immediately but nothing shipped. Two emails in two weeks and no response. Seems easy enough to CAD up and get productized. Great fill out of product catalog as people just check off the candy boxes when ordering.

Filippo

• Agree
Reactions: Jeffman

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
E59B09E2-1D23-480E-917F-2443534C2243.jpeg
I installed the oil cap vent in addition to already having my BMS high side catch can and newly installed RB external PCV / Mishimoto low side catch can. My main concern was oil vapor blowing out the VTT breather, making an oil mess on my engine cover, and allowing oil vapor smell getting into the cabin.

I did a couple of WOT hot pulls (22-23 psi) at 88F and 150 miles of spirited driving. I didn’t bother using the hose clamp to keep the filter on the check valve so that I could easily pop it off to check for oil vapor collecting on the outside of the check valve.
Didn’t smell a thing...
The engine cover was bone dry...

Popped off the filter, which was bone dry inside, and the check valve was also bone dry. I normally collect oil in my BMS catch can so I can only imagine the BMS catch can handles the excess crank case pressure just fine, and is the path of least resistance compared to the VTT oil cap vent.
Above is a picture of the dry check valve and filter.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
installed the oil cap vent in addition to already having my BMS high side catch can and newly installed RB external PCV / Mishimoto low side catch can.
So if you are running both high side and low side setups, what does the oil cap vent actually do for you? Seems like all bases are covered by the aforementioned setups? I assume you plugged the 10-32s as well.

Filippo

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Apparently with the high and low side catch cans the VTT oil breather does very little, other than look pretty cool. I’ll keep it on for the time being and report any changes. Maybe I’ll plug the high side to see if I can push vapor through it. TBD.

Regarding the 10-32s, nope haven’t done that yet.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Apparently with the high and low side catch cans the VTT oil breather does very little, other than look pretty cool. I’ll keep it on for the time being and report any changes. Maybe I’ll plug the high side to see if I can push vapor through it. TBD.

Regarding the 10-32s, nope haven’t done that yet.
I was under the impression that the VTT breather's primary function is to vent any positive pressure that actually makes it into the crank case - and was further in the PCV system than the high side flapper/BMS OCC. From my understanding, if the external pcv setup is working properly then you shouldn't have much if any oil going to the BMS OCC anyway and the VTT breather will mostly stop damage from occurring to your VC/VCG caused by pressurizing your system.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Jeffman,

Make sure the ball is not stuck shut. They can stick during shipping. These will 100% vent on hard pulls. If yours is bone dry it's likely it didn't get unstuck before installation. Open 'er up and make sure it's free. Once it sees a little oil it won't stick again.

As far as the thinking the vent does very little -couldn't be further from the truth. We have dual cans, plugged head, and a very tight motor. Under boost on the dyno the breather is venting a TON of crankcase pressure.

Chris

• Informative
Reactions: fmorelli

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Thanks for the advice, Chris. When I received it I did bounce the ball around a little before installing. I’ll take it off again and make sure to get a little oil in there to prevent sticking and will report back.

Anybody else have anything to report?

Edit: @Chris@VargasTurboTech the ball seems completely stuck inside. Originally the clicking I heard was the slight rattle sound the screens on either side make. I just removed it from the valve cover, held the screens and shook the check valve but could hear no ball clicking. Suggestions?

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Just make a, "click ... click ... click" with your tongue against the roof of your mouth when you shake it. :tonguewink::tonguewink:

Filippo

• Funny
Reactions: Jeffman

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Okay, Chris was correct. The ball was stuck so I took it apart and oiled the ball and oiled the internal seat with a little Mobil 1. Now I get a “cluck cluck” sound from the ball actually banging around in there. Fortuitously I had just purchased channel lock pliers so the ring was easy to remove. See pictures.
83963C58-C47F-4265-9D9E-42BD0AB92300.jpeg
B4CC4C5C-B4F4-40FF-AA3C-741E214D194D.jpeg
C7FA1892-A8F4-46F9-AAE2-6C46D98F3F63.jpeg
DE24A09C-9793-4D2B-8ED2-A123362A3A89.jpeg

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Okay I gotta ask ... how does the ball get stuck? Seems weird ...

Filippo

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Some kind of adhesion. It was really stuck in there. I think the housing is machined so well and conforms exactly to the ball’s surface that a tiny bit of oil acts more like a glue (think surface tension of the oil film adhering really well between the machined seated surface of the metal housing and the Teflon ball. Even now if I tip the unit upside down the ball sticks. I need to give it a good rap to free the ball. I suspect the force to overcome the ball seating is equivalent to about 1 psi of air pressure.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Hi guys, got a simple question, will the breather reduce oil vapours going in the rear turbo inlet? Thanks
It should if you don’t have a high side PCV oil catch can like the BMS OCC.
I have both the high side BMS OCC as well as the low pressure Mishimoto external PCV catch can. With the BMS OCC I think all the crank case pressure is exiting there - I have yet collected a single drop of oil on the outside of the VTT external breather.
Photo:
4FA72512-0A15-483B-9993-48E076BC8A52.jpeg

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
It should if you don’t have a high side PCV oil catch can like the BMS OCC.
I have both the high side BMS OCC as well as the low pressure Mishimoto external PCV catch can. With the BMS OCC I think all the crank case pressure is exiting there - I have yet collected a single drop of oil on the outside of the VTT external breather.
Photo:
View attachment 14148
Hi guys, got a simple question, will the breather reduce oil vapours going in the rear turbo inlet? Thanks
It will, but in a different way than your typical catch can setup does. They're two different ways of accomplishing the same goal.

The breather is there to relieve pressure in your crankcase similar to how a blowoff valve relieves pressure in your charge piping. So if the breather is doing it's job (and it does very well, assuming you made sure your checkvalve ball isn't stuck) then there's no pressure to force the oil into your rear inlet and the oil particles should fall out of suspension. Once the positive pressure is released, you should momentarily be around ambient air pressure and then will just go to vacuum and air will be sucked into your rear inlet through your CCV side hose due to the flow of the turbos.

If you have an external PCV setup for the low side (which is vacuum) with a catch can in there, then you should have minimal oil in your crankcase anyway. Couple it with the breather relieving all positive pressure, and you'll have even less going into the turbo inlet. Most people completely stop seeing collection in the high-side catch cans (like the BMS/Turner/ECS style setup) once going to an external low side setup. So if you have that AND the breather you shouldn't have to worry about any intake valve buildup. Adding the BMS style catch can would realistically be mostly a waste of money if you're worried about valve buildup at that point, because even after piping back into the inlet it still has to travel through the few feet of piping, then the intercooler, then the chargepipe (and BOVs will relieve even more oil from the tract) before even hitting your throttle body, intake manifold and then finally your valves. That said, adding the extra catch can won't hurt, just don't expect to see much if any oil.