VTT Stage 3 Dyno before NFZ; 903 whp

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
I'm confused on how you made 900+ whp but only 677 wtq. That's the biggest discrepancy in tq vs hp on any N54 I've ever seen.

Great numbers though

It doesn't look like they dialed in any boost until about 5000rpms... Probably aorund 13-15psi down low.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Guys... Horsepower is calculated. HP = torque * RPM/5252 (which is why hp and torque always equal each other at 5252 RPM). Many times with smaller turbos to max out a system it's common to make as much torque as is possible in the midrange then it drops off as RPM climb due to the motor not breathing as well or the turbos running out of air.

On this setup we get torque up to the level we desired, then held it as long as we wanted to. This will result in a HP numbers higher than torque numbers. No magic. Just look at the curves. Nice, flat torque shelf. No torque mountain and then the ride is over. The impression when in the car is that it never stops pulling to redline.

If you wanted to spike the boost in the midrange we'd see much higher torque numbers than we have.

A lot of these things can be manipulated for drivability, longevity, track conditions, etc. It becomes a more viable option when so much horsepower is on the table vs. say stock turbos on pump gas, where you make as much power as you can wherever you can to make the car move.

Chris

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
On this setup we get torque up to the level we desired, then held it as long as we wanted to. This will result in a HP numbers higher than torque numbers. No magic. Just look at the curves. Nice, flat torque shelf. No torque mountain and then the ride is over. The impression when in the car is that it never stops pulling to redline.

If the drivetrain is sorted and traction is not an issue, wouldn't the car perform better, i.e. faster/quicker 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile etc WITH the mountain of torque? As you said, hp is a function of torque, so the more torque you make the more HP you will make as well. We all know peak numbers aren't everything - contrary, that's why these cars perform much better than FBO dyno numbers would insinuate.

Do you have plans to spike the boost in the midrange to get more average horsepower or 'area under the curve' once traction is sorted/driveline strength is good, etc, or just ride it the way it is?

If you're only limiting boost and torque at rpms that will never be seen in a race, then it's not an issue at all, but if it is, there's performance to be gained, even though possibly no peak number gain.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Ride it as is and dial in more as traction/etc allows. There is a lot more in the turbos. This is a LOT of power in a 3 series chassis and it isn't quite as simple as tossing on some sticky tires and holding 'er straight.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Unknown as of yet. Haven’t had time to fully diagnose.
Hopefully nothing related to crank hub issues as I'm still waiting on getting mine installed lol. Although my car will never see that level of HP so hopefully even if it is, the ~700 I plan on targeting is more than safe enough.

Are you guys still DI only or are you running PI up top like on the Gc dyno run? I seem to remember Tony saying you guys ditched PI altogether for the shop car but not sure if that's still the case with this setup and its capabilities.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
100% not crank hub related.

Car uses both DI and PI. We did 800+ DI only quite a while ago, but generally speaking always have a ton of fueling capacity on tap. There is something of a balance with injectors being difficult and staying DI only, where that HP line is depends on a lot of factors, at 800 whp they're pretty finicky DI only, at 700 whp it's much less of an issue, at 600 whp why bother at all with PI, etc. etc.

Chris

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I know you said you don't know what broke since it hasn't been looked at yet, but was the mood hurt, or suspension, trans? There should be an idea of where the issue lies at least, right?

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Will post once that's all figured out and squared away any relevant lessons learned to pass on to the community. Nothing to post on the subject as of now. Currently priority is getting out orders, lots going on then of course prep for black Friday... .so unfortunately this has to be put on the back burner for right now. Don't worry, we're itching to take advantage of the cooler weather and get back to the track. Soon!

Chris