VTT

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
LOL Rob is bitching about a thread getting deleted because he came in and shit all over it multiple times. Then, when its restored, he comes in and shits some more and then bitches about that. They're so busy over at RB those turbos have to be building themselves while Rob trolls VTT on every forum he can find.

Indeed buddy and do not even have to market via FB/Instagram/whatever, have no dealers, and no directly whoring anything out on the forums via pre-sales/group buys either. Yet still slaughtered with orders, pretty crazy right?

PS. Please dazzle us with your genius technical background as well.:D

Rob

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
LOL@ Butthurt. Some of these competitors are the best thing to ever happen to RB, we are slinging turbos to many of our competitors burnt out customers monthly (and literally their friends weekly). Go check out the for sale sections, see what brands do you typically see everyday popping up for sale (usually "lightly used" aka needing rebuild) just for an additional data point.

On another more serious note it sure would be nice to have some idea on what technical background some of you guys have? Like some sort of pre-requisite before you are allowed to type on a technical subject. And adding neons to your old civic si or maybe a DCI, aluminum pedal set, and carbon fiber wrapping your N54's interior trim doesn't count. Things like building short blocks, porting/building cylinder heads, replacing camshafts, port matching intakes, throttle bodies, rebuilding transmissions, swapping pinion/ring gear sets and rebuilding differentials, upgrading brake kits, modifying fuel systems, supercharger kits, or making your own engine parts- you know the real manly technical stuff. It is the actual technical stuff like this that we are quite familiar with and have done it for many years, across many platforms. Oh yes almost forgot- we've built a paltry few thousand turbos too since the early 2000's. So having something to say about something as simple as an outlet design, not quite out of our league.

You see there are a lot of guys on these forums who as a young child could easily figure out how to fit the star/square/circle/triangle through each side of the respective box toy- many of them do not post but there are really sharp guys out there who can see the forest for the trees with most of this stuff. They are the ones who call us daily and say "Man we have been around too, and we can tell you know what you are talking about and good thing because I need turbos stat".

However unfortunately there are many others who post regularly and usually only with opinions on matters as if they know something about what they are saying, usually only on some tangental discussion matter outside the actual root discussion technical aspect. These are likely the type of guys that likely spend most of their hours playing fortnite with kiddos on the internet, and take breaks every so often to post on a technical BMW forum about what they may think they learned from some marketing propaganda on their favorite FB group. These are also the same guys who end up falling for the junk information and/or data, buy some garbage that doesn't work as advertised or provide any gains; and cry to us a year or so later when the truths come to light and then all we can do is get a damn good laugh.

Technical credibility is certainly key, so dazzle us- what do you have to offer?

Rob

Clearly you feel some type of way if you took 5 long ass paragraphs to say what couldve been said in 3 sentences :tearsofjoy:

I DIY'd basically all the power mods on my car besides turbos and tune. IRL I have an engineering degree. Please, tell me more about what I don't know.

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
Clearly you feel some type of way if you took 5 long ass paragraphs to say what couldve been said in 3 sentences :tearsofjoy:

I DIY'd basically all the power mods on my car besides turbos and tune. IRL I have an engineering degree. Please, tell me more about what I don't know.

Good deal it is nice being able to strap on basic pre-built parts and education is also important too, kudos there.

So during the course of earning your engineering degree and basic DIY installs, were you ever taught or considered the importance of port matching? Do you understand the importance of transitions in airflow pathways? Do you understand that without a transition and thus having a larger pathway will increase flow on a loose component, but not be a real representation of what one would find in system application? Do you find it odd that none of this has been addressed not only from ourselves, but another member who also must've felt it compelling enough to question the vendor about it as well (both of which were completely ignored)? Do you find it odd that the Dusty W. product retains said transitional adapter? Do you agree that if they were to flow his part loosely they'd service as a restrictive point and reduce flow significantly (despite having a better system performance due to superior port matching)? And lastly are you able to make any correlation here to now see that the outlet flow test was indeed a marketing charade (that was performed incorrectly) in order to garner the masses hearts with flawed "data"?

You see we are not asking for much here- simply some honesty for once. All we expect from Chris is to say "We can see that the transitional adapters on the OE part would reduce airflow, to what degree we are not certain as we did not test that. We understand the test may not be a perfect representation for comparing the primary tubing pathway and merger flow potential amongst products, but it is data nonetheless for the consumer to utilize as desired. We did not want to butcher up an OEM pipe (remove the transitional adapters) during this process." and that would be a breath of fresh air.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: veer90 and kayzrx82

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
Sure pal. I contributed to the thread and Rob just dismisses it and can't respond legitimately . I'm not a vendor either. so tell me where I came in and trashed a vendors product at all here. I guess the better option is to let Rob crap on every vtt thread.

Glad to see you contributed too.

RB did not dismiss your contribution. Just said we do not believe it to be accurate based on more real world information that is available. For example the OE N55 ST outlet is ~1.65" ID, yet makes 500+rwhp no problem. Some have made well more into the 550-575whp range, and we are certain the limitation is not this point but rather the turbine housing/manifold interface.

Also made clear that there are differences in plumbing sizes, ID vs. OD; whether you were talking about metals vs. silicone. It is important to be clear about which you are speaking of, as there are variances in size even if the size is the "same" due to methods of measurements along with wall thicknesses (ie. Silicone measures in ID, metals in OD then minus wall thickness x2).

Also said we are more concerned about the merger than the primary tubing sizing (within reason).

Also said that having a 2.4" OD piece of silicone is not smart when there are fitment issues with the N54. The bend radius gets worse and worse on larger plumbing, additionally the larger silicone is closer to the high heat areas due to increased diameters, and it makes no sense to oversize plumbing to trade off in the fitment/reliability department (aka overkill).

The OEM turbos on paper flow right about 285cfm each, or 19lb/min, which by those conversions would mean they are tapped at around 380hp or ~320whp for the twin setup. We all know this is not the case.

Also we have had some guys running around 550rwhp and not really seeing gains in traps/ET's at the track as well with outlets. We do agree that there is a time for outlets, usually if you are north of 550rwhp OR are RHD OR have ported compressor housing outlets and need your outlet plumbing to match.

It makes sense that IF you are going to get outlets, to make sure they are a very well designed and obviously a substantial improvement. It does NOT make sense to ever get under-engineered outlets, you can have better than that for free by just keeping your OEM units.;)

Not sure what it takes to get some logic through to some of you guys? Larger than needed diameter pipe is going to affect the transient response of your setup and not provide gains at the same time, so it makes sense to be smart about these things however there are going to be compromises/trade-offs with anything it is just about getting the package as a whole as best as it can be done. As stated in our "dismissal" (and it is not that your contribution was bad) it is just not always about google math.

Rob

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: veer90 and kayzrx82

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
making power and doing it efficiently are two different things.

There are no doubts that when it comes to making power that doing so efficiently as possible is key- it is quite the foundation of this entire discussion. There are often compromises with these things, however, and looking at the entire picture is important.

Rob

Last edited:

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Good deal it is nice being able to strap on basic pre-built parts and education is also important too, kudos there.

So during the course of earning your engineering degree and basic DIY installs, were you ever taught or considered the importance of port matching? Do you understand the importance of transitions in airflow pathways? Do you understand that without a transition and thus having a larger pathway will increase flow on a loose component, but not be a real representation of what one would find in system application? Do you find it odd that none of this has been addressed not only from ourselves, but another member who also must've felt it compelling enough to question the vendor about it as well (both of which were completely ignored)? Do you find it odd that the Dusty W. product retains said transitional adapter? Do you agree that if they were to flow his part loosely they'd service as a restrictive point and reduce flow significantly (despite having a better system performance due to superior port matching)? And lastly are you able to make any correlation here to now see that the outlet flow test was indeed a marketing charade (that was performed incorrectly) in order to garner the masses hearts with flawed "data"?

You see we are not asking for much here- simply some honesty for once. All we expect from Chris is to say "We can see that the transitional adapters on the OE part would reduce airflow, to what degree we are not certain as we did not test that. We understand the test may not be a perfect representation for comparing the primary tubing pathway and merger flow potential amongst products, but it is data nonetheless for the consumer to utilize as desired. We did not want to butcher up an OEM pipe (remove the transitional adapters) during this process." and that would be a breath of fresh air.

Thanks,
Rob

The fact that you are still hung up on transitional adapters, and blubbering about "theory says this" like a high school student when empirical data is available shows how little you know about engineering. Get over yourself, you pretentious asshole.

Somehow you have time to type up 770+ words of hot air when you are supposedly "too busy fulfilling turbo orders" makes me wonder what else you are lying about. Hope the rest of your day is as pleasant as you are.

Reactions: langsbr

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
The fact that you are still hung up on transitional adapters, and blubbering about "theory says this" like a high school student when empirical data is available shows how little you know about engineering. Get over yourself, you pretentious asshole.

Somehow you have time to type up 770+ words of hot air when you are supposedly "too busy fulfilling turbo orders" makes me wonder what else you are lying about. Hope the rest of your day is as pleasant as you are.

Good wun, you got sum smarts- we so dazzled.:p Veer90 with obviously zero value/insight has finally been put on ignore.

• Funny
Reactions: veer90