VTT

Ilkka

Private
Sep 7, 2017
Ride
N54 335i e92
Outlets are the last thing to buy for those who don't need power.

For those who need power, I resent replacing a bad design with another bad design.

People working on others' cars are happy to first install this and then upgrade this to a better one along with the power bug getting worse... the more installs, the more work.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Outlets are the last thing to buy for those who don't need power.

For those who need power, I resent replacing a bad design with another bad design.

People working on others' cars are happy to first install this and then upgrade this to a better one along with the power bug getting worse... the more installs, the more work.

I personally can't stand the look of the oem piece of crap and silicone is a definite no

I had a lot more power before now I dialed it back and refuse to run e85

My car is rhd so we have issues but this pipe will at least give me the result im after in alloy

Is it the best, maybe not but shit loads better than oem

So there is a market for it and time will tell

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
I thought outlets weren't worth it on stock turbos Rob? Or are you finally smart enough to believe a dyno sheet?

Guess our perspective on outlets wasn't clear in the thread so let's recap:
1) If you are under 525-550whp and NOT RHD, then we'd pass on outlets altogether.
2) If you are RHD and over 450-475whp, then we'd highly consider outlets (or some tasteful OE pipe modifications).
3) If you are one of the above and need outlets, then consider outlets that have a good design/merger/etc.

Hopefully this helps provide some clarity.

Rob

Reactions: Rcboosted2007

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Looking at this from an LHD perspective myself. Stock RHD is worse.

Because of the steering shaft the rear rhd turbo oem pipe is squished nothing like lhd

To modify the stock pipe to flow better is more expensive than what tony is offering

It doesn't fit rhd but i will soon change that

You guys are lucky with lhd and have barely any obstacles to jump through like us rhd guys

Even stock turbos benefit from a modified rear pipe, that's how restrictive it is

Dusty Waterfall

Private
Jun 1, 2017
Utah
Ride
2009 e92 335xi
How come nobody is talking about length or bends as it pertains to restriction? All of these calculations I'm seeing are based on a straight short pipe. A single 90 degree bend can decrease the CFM threshold by as much as 25%. There's a reason 2" was chosen for PSP primary pipes, it's taking into account for losses associated with the necessary bends. Also nobody is taking the merge into consideration. These aren't 2 individual pipes running separate paths. They merge into 1. The diameter at that merge becomes the funnel or restrictive point which also becomes arguably the most important part of the outlet.

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
It looks like it was not intended to meet all flow requirements in the respect to physics and therory but to provide an upgrade to a factory pos that is easy for people to install and not goof up in the garage.all while out flowing oem

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Now don't do you dare come in here being all logical... BASHER!o_O

Umm, Rob you said 2" was too big to be effective and 1.75 was what it should be I presented proper math about what it needs in an ideal scenario (and I even stated that outlets are not) and you still said it was all wrong. It seems like only you and "not vtt" are ever right, and everyone else is wrong. I'm sure you are far too busy "getting orders out" to legitimately respond, so it's cool, we get it, you don't like vtt.

• Agree
Reactions: veer90

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Guess our perspective on outlets wasn't clear in the thread so let's recap:
1) If you are under 525-550whp and NOT RHD, then we'd pass on outlets altogether.
2) If you are RHD and over 450-475whp, then we'd highly consider outlets (or some tasteful OE pipe modifications).
3) If you are one of the above and need outlets, then consider outlets that have a good design/merger/etc.

Hopefully this helps provide some clarity.

Rob

So you'd pass on a gain of 13whp and 52wtq? These gains were on a LHD car that was significantly less than 525whp .

It should be noted these gains were on a stock turbo car of course, without coils, and on the first ever outlets released. The current outlet systems no doubt perform better.

Last edited:

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
Umm, Rob you said 2" was too big to be effective and 1.75 was what it should be I presented proper math about what it needs in an ideal scenario (and I even stated that outlets are not) and you still said it was all wrong. It seems like only you and "not vtt" are ever right, and everyone else is wrong. I'm sure you are far too busy "getting orders out" to legitimately respond, so it's cool, we get it, you don't like vtt.

Pretty sure we already had this convo a couple pages ago. To recap yes we do still feel that if we were doing tubular outlets- we would use 1.75" OD (1.63" ID) tubes and a sweet merger into a single 2.5"- but we would NOT kick the 2" OD (1.88" ID) tubes out of bed either if it were a requirement for the best merger, which is literally the focal point of the purchase.

NOTE: Using full 2" ID silicone IMO is just pushing it way too much, especially considering that stuff is like 2.4" OD- that is basically tree trunks for outlet sizing and is asking for huge install issues. Completely unnecessary, way overkill, and an overall very poor concept.

We'd also keep any transition adapters needed intact to keep port matching inline with the compressor housing and outlet as well. As of this moment the closest thing, IMO, to a great aluminum solution is the PSP- not that it is exactly how we'd do it but it is what we would buy as a consumer looking for an Aluminum solution today. The merger is absolute perfection- and as stated numerous times that is an extremely important part of the outlet.

And if VTT were to make the above unit- we'd certainly be saying to buy VTT. In fact we would likely send all of our customers their way as well as discontinue our silicone outlets as well (which are designed perfectly and have been excellent as a product, but are still silicone and susceptible to issues eventually).

Contrary to popular belief we do not care who makes the best pipe, we are simply looking for the best pipe to be made; and we are nice enough to give the recipe for it in the above passage.

Rob

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Jeffman and Ilkka

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
So you'd pass on a gain of 13whp and 52wtq? These gains were on a LHD car that was significantly less than 525whp .

Don't really trust your particular results quite frankly, credits probably mostly due to some "fuzzy tuning". But ultimately if people like buying parts that they really don't need to (for where they are at power wise) guess get'r dun.

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Jesus you're acting as dumb as Tony right now.

I ran the car on a dyno. Installed outlets. Ran it the very next day on the same exact dyno.

The tuning was done by the best tuner in the business. He had it dialed in before the outlets, only had time for 1 revision after them, notice the overboost cuts.

The ignorance and refusal to just admit you're wrong is making you look retarded.

• Love
Reactions: Rob@RBTurbo

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
Jesus you're acting as dumb as Tony right now.

I ran the car on a dyno. Installed outlets. Ran it the very next day on the same exact dyno.

The tuning was done by the best tuner in the business. He had it dialed in before the outlets, only had time for 1 revision after them, notice the overboost cuts.

The ignorance and refusal to just admit you're wrong is making you look retarded.

Cool bub, go get ya some outlets.