Wagner Evo 3 Intercooler Review Coming Soon

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Ok, so I decided to order a Wagner Evo 3 Intercooler to do a review on since that is also a unit that nobody has reviews on. In a couple of weeks, I will install and do some logs vs. Dinan currently installed. Stay tuned.

MDORPHN

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Ride
BMW 1M
Hope it's good as I have a brand new one still in the box that I'm looking to sell ;-)

I've found that for road racing purposes, a smaller intercooler entirely in the airflow -- and not a stepped design that extends up behind the bumper cover -- is less likely to heat soak.

Neil

• Funny
Reactions: doublespaces

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Thats why I got a psp 750, it doesnt go behind the crash bar. I never understood the point of having a huge intercooler that sees no airflow... Looking forward to your review I really wanted that intercooler but $$$

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Thats why I got a psp 750, it doesnt go behind the crash bar. I never understood the point of having a huge intercooler that sees no airflow... Looking forward to your review I really wanted that intercooler but $$$

I'll really want to see why they keep making the stepped designs. The Dinan unit is rock solid so be interested to see.if there are any differences. But I think the Dinan unit is at the max flow or past that point now that I am at 23psi on stick snails. It was designed for 420 crank hp and I am at 490 500whp...really feel the turbos fighting to push air through. Hope the evo3 will make it flow better

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH

I think it is because an IC is a big heat sink at the end of the day. Having extra mass helps before it all heatsoaks on a track. So for most people with an N54 doing street pulls it is a better option. If you are racing the car on a track etc. having part of it covered is probably more of a hindrance as eventually it will fully heat soak.

The front bumper cover gets in the way too:

42872851_323020405142030_6706470989812112866_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-amt2-1.cdninstagram.jpg

42836120_255635008429794_150732568506647661_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-amt2-1.cdninstagram.jpg

Bar looks like it only covers the top 1/5 or 1/4 of the IC, it's the bumper cover that seems to block the most imo
UVVSRych__78998.1517078652.500.750.jpg

Edit: No one will pay for this but a custom front bumper that exposes the entire IC and a modified crash bar would fix these issues:

Something like this:
37BF32DA-E163-475C-9357-87E2480EC9E3-X2.jpg

0403tur_07z%2B1998_toyota_supra%2Bfront_mount_intercooler.jpg

Many other platforms have ICs that are covered by half of the front bumper. This is not unique to this platform.

At some point you can only stuff so large an IC on a car before you have to leave it as is or add meth etc. for cooling.

Last edited:
Reactions: MDORPHN

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
This is just a mock up of my custom plazmaman tube and fin ic and power steering relocation kit.

Im in the process of finalizing the kit, this pic is just a mock up on my race car and no where the finished product.

We have 20 or so of these kits on 135's and 1M's here in oz without a single complaint on the quality of the kit.

Its not an easy kit to install and even mechanics can get wrong, attention to detail is crucial as you need to realign all the headlights and get the gaps 100%.

That's the reason I don't sell them in volume and just only for the hardcore.

Attachments

• 20190307_090021.jpg
    20190307_090021.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 156
Reactions: doublespaces

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Wagner and cpe I feel have been the go to track intercoolers cpe has its oil cooler add on and both are some of the few that post pressure drop and such cpe has full white pages. I originally wanted atm or Cpe cause I was scared of the Wagner price but I went ade and I think if Wagner had their 3rd gen out I would have gone that route really is a no compromise fmic.

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
The bottom part of our fan also blocks a big portion of the back of the ic. I cut mine up to get some more airflow through the intercooler I spent good money on

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Apparently air does manage to go into those blocked areas by the bumper. So no worries for me. Now, that air won't be as fast moving as the direct air hitting the exposed areas, but rest assure, enough air does manage to go around and through the hidden top parts, especially when the radiator fan kicks on.

I did find a user review in hungary where he found 2 degree drop when accelerating and there was no added turbo lag at all.
I was going to give Stett a try but decided to go with evo3 due to their internal air channels...not even Dinan has these air guides inside. I appreciate every attention to detail when it comes to design. So we will see how this does. Stett and others wrote nothing about flow increases, pressure drops... CSF intercooler has added lag so that was out of the running even though it is relatively cheaper.

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
Edit: No one will pay for this but a custom front bumper that exposes the entire IC and a modified crash bar would fix these issues:

Something like this:
View attachment 26052

I may be doing something similar with this shop while my car is there getting a cage. Or I may not, haven't decided. Also thought about going to an air to water setup next year.

Apparently air does manage to go into those blocked areas by the bumper. So no worries for me. Now, that air won't be as fast moving as the direct air hitting the exposed areas, but rest assure, enough air does manage to go around and through the hidden top parts, especially when the radiator fan kicks on.

In my experience with reviewing CFD results for airflow through construction equipment coolers, I don't think you're going to get as much air as you think. My "expert" opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I may be doing something similar with this shop while my car is there getting a cage. Or it may not, haven't decided. Also thought about going to an air to water setup next year.

In my experience with reviewing CFD results for airflow through construction equipment coolers, I don't think you're going to get as much air as you think. My "expert" opinion.

CFD??? no idea what this means.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Computational Fluid Dynamics

Ah. OK, so I don't know how you know how much air flow I think I am going to get... so I will spell it out for you.
Nowhere near the flow of the exposed parts, not even close. But enough to make a difference. Let's say 100% is the reference for the exposed areas...then I would guess 10-20% for the hidden areas. But that's only a wild guess. There will be turbulence in the hidden areas.

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
Ah. OK, so I don't know how you know how much air flow I think I am going to get... so I will spell it out for you.
Nowhere near the flow of the exposed parts, not even close. But enough to make a difference. Let's say 100% is the reference for the exposed areas...then I would guess 10-20% for the hidden areas. But that's only a wild guess. There will be turbulence in the hidden areas.

Let's calm down now lol.....I'm not saying you made the wrong choice on intercooler selection. I'm just giving you feedback from someone with actual design experience in fluid dynamics. Oil, coolant, air....all fluids. Basic principles apply across the board.

Yes, you will get airflow. How much? Dunno. I'm guessing the typical street car won't see much difference. Stepped design is going to help make up for the lack of frontal area being utilized, which we all already know.

mnick

Private
Jan 11, 2018
Tampa
Ride
335is
This seems like a fair comparison… Please include whether logs were performed while Dinan badge was on or off.

I agree Wagner has a thoughtful design, my experience with their Evo 2 comp. Excited to see some pictures and logs!

frontside0815

Corporal
Nov 9, 2016
Germany
Wagner Evo 3 is good- about 3-5 °C better then a VRSF 7,5"... But since its way more expensive, i dont feel its worth it.
We only sell it for racecars which want the least weight possible, because the wagner has a tube & fin core which is around 5kg less then the heavy bar&plate options....

Evo 1 and 2 are really not up to the task, even for FBO power levels.... I´m from germany and i know at least 500 logs with the different coolers.

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

MDORPHN

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Ride
BMW 1M
Wagner Evo 3 is good- about 3-5 °C better then a VRSF 7,5"... But since its way more expensive, i dont feel its worth it.
We only sell it for racecars which want the least weight possible, because the wagner has a tube & fin core which is around 5kg less then the heavy bar&plate options....

Evo 1 and 2 are really not up to the task, even for FBO power levels.... I´m from germany and i know at least 500 logs with the different coolers.

Have you tested it for extended sessions on a closed road race course (20+ minutes) or are your findings based on street driving and/or 1/4 mile drag strip?

Neil

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH

There is a difference in their design right? IIRC tube & plate Wagner vs. bar and fin VRSF. There are advantages and disadvantages to both: http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/engine/0304-turp-intercooler/

I would think the difference in design would explain the very slight difference in cooling.

I'll take and bar and plate please for many reasons.

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5

From what you have seen what performs best street and what performs best track? Old king was helix now atm and Wagner evo 2 but then I was told ade by few tuners. Vrsf was at the better than alot of Ebay coolers but then their HD and race cores stepped up game alot. Forums have so much misinfo perfect example is vrsf was repped left and right and then their HD came out and it became obvious how bad the street core was, back then a big Tom would been way better investment.