Technical Weight savings, accesory deletes, etc

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
What did you replace your PS with?

Talking about belt P/N? I used Gates K070443 and removed the two idler pulleys.

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Leave the compressor but delete everything else? But why lol. I had to find a shorter belt since my AC and power steering is deleted

There is really no reason to do the A/C delete if you're not removing the compressor. That's 11lb of the maybe 18lb total you can remove between the compressor, lines, and condensor.

Talking about belt P/N? I used Gates K070443 and removed the two idler pulleys.

View attachment 30012

If you want to keep power steering you can route a 1700mm belt (dayco 5070670) like this:

Reactions: SJ_1989

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Leave the compressor but delete everything else? But why lol. I had to find a shorter belt since my AC and power steering is deleted
Nah, the main person I saw left the lines and everything in place too - just ran a shorter belt to free up power.

How is the car without power steering? I debated deleting that too since theres no under drive pulley kits for our cars due to lack of an M badge, but the only posts I could find were very old (pre-2015) e90p posts about how the cars steering shaft is too heavy or something along those lines for the car to be driven without PS or other assistance. I know that at least two people on FB (Draysen Mead and Joel Bowlin) ran their cars without PS for a significant amount of time with no issues but they were 90% strip-only AFAIK. And I know @doublespaces swapped in the M3 steering rack which I believe isnt run off of a pulley, but I do remember him saying it was a bitch to do and I'm sure its heavier due to electronics being bolted up to it.

It's a shame that the lady has been home for my 3 days off in a row, because the weather has been nice e and these thread bumps have me motivated. But I dont think stripping out carpets, plastic and sound deadening is her idea of quality time together:disappointed:

MDORPHN

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Ride
BMW 1M
I had the power steering go out while on a road race course in my 1M, running 265 wide rubber in front. It was very difficult to steer and even more so at slower speeds when I came into the paddock.

Neil

• Informative

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
If you want to keep power steering you can route a 1700mm belt (dayco 5070670) like this:

I don't want to keep it :) . I actually had that dayco belt before I decided to delete PS.

How is the car without power steering?

Driving on the road, dunno. I'll get back to you in September lol. I imagine like @MDORPHN said it would be rather difficult to steer; however, I'm on a 4.5" wide front tire and will likely weigh 2700-2800 lbs.....and going in a straight line mostly. The only time I'll take the car out on the road is to cars and coffee or something.

Weight savings isn't worth it IMO for a daily driven car. I've already weighed the PS stuff if your interested, I'll post it later tonight.

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
because the weather has been nice e and these thread bumps have me motivated. But I dont think stripping out carpets, plastic and sound deadening is her idea of quality time together:disappointed:

I'm going as far as I can minus modifying OEM body panels I think. Some of the classes I want to run at SCT and IFO still require unaltered body panels.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Weight savings isn't worth it IMO for a daily driven car. I've already weighed the PS stuff if your interested, I'll post it later tonight.
Eh, depends on the extent imo. My car isn't a true daily driver even though I take it to work 4 minutes away most days of the week right now (its summer here in Chicago) so I do think I can get away with more than most street cars, but theres certainly things you can toss or replace with lighter parts and stay comfortable. You surely wont ever hit 2300lbs on a commuter car, but shaving a hundred or two is definitely possible I think. Some sound deadening, control arms, wheels, brakes, engine bay junk... like mentioned earlier, the little stuff adds up and all you need is that tenth of a second to win a race ‍♂️

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
Some values before I clean up the spreadsheet.

Power steering pump = 6.2 lbs
Power steering reservoir = 1.8 lbs
Power steering cooler = 2 lbs
Power steering lines = 2 lbs
Total = 12.2 lbs

AC compressor = 11.8 lbs
AC condensor = 6 lbs
AC lines = 3.8 lbs
AC control unit = 0.8 lbs
Heater/AC unit behind dash = 18.8 lbs
Total = 41.2 lbs

Front carpet (E90) = 19 lbs
Rear carpet (E90) = 15.6 lbs
Total = 34.6 lbs

Windshield wiper arms = 3.4 lbs
Windshield wiper motor = 6.2 lbs
Total = 9.6 lbs

Engine cover = 3.4 lbs

That's 100 lbs right there easy so about a tenth in the quarter. Majority from the front half of the car.

Czechmate

Lurker
Dec 11, 2018
San Francisco, CA
Ride
2008 335i Manual
Anybody considered the CF doors? Pretty sure its e92 only, but man theres some weight in those things. The cost has kept me away for a while, but I've thought about it.

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
Anybody considered the CF doors? Pretty sure its e92 only, but man theres some weight in those things. The cost has kept me away for a while, but I've thought about it.

Some of the classes I want to run in require factory body panels and/or glass. So I likely won't be going fiberglass or lexan. The only thing I could do I think is put the M3 carbon roof on.

Reactions: Panzerfaust

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I think @Terry@BMS has an aluminum one on his 135?

@sirdaft1 has one. Maybe he can comment on weight savings? I've seen it in person, it's noice. Pic taken from another forum.

View attachment 30056

I like that it does not block the larger ICs. I am sure there would be a market for this product. Save weight off the nose of the car, 20% more flow to your IC(in theory). Granted you have a bumper cover in the way still but it would help.

maxresdefault.jpg
attachment.jpg

Reactions: Panzerfaust

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
Save weight off the nose of the car, 20% more flow to your IC(in theory). Granted you have a bumper cover in the way still but it would help.

Me too. I actually removed my front crash bar to offset the weight of the massive intercooler. I'm debating on cutting up my front bumper to expose more of the intercooler too. I'm waiting to see how my IAT's are first though.

*Disclaimer... this is a track car and I understand the risk of removing the crash bar entirely*

MDORPHN

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Ride
BMW 1M
Me too. I actually removed my front crash bar to offset the weight of the massive intercooler. I'm debating on cutting up my front bumper to expose more of the intercooler too. I'm waiting to see how my IAT's are first though.

*Disclaimer... this is a track car and I understand the risk of removing the crash bar entirely*

We're right now planning to cut out the center portion of the crash beam on my 1M to get more unobstructed flow to the intercooler. We'll probably weld some tubular steel across the divide. I'll then be venting my bumper cover.

Neil

E92-Ghandi

Corporal
Feb 25, 2018
Ride
2010 335i e92 DCT
Doesn't the E92 M3 come with a carbon fiber crash bar?if that would fit, you'll be saving a good amount of weight in front.

MDORPHN

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Ride
BMW 1M
Doesn't the E92 M3 come with a carbon fiber crash bar?if that would fit, you'll be saving a good amount of weight in front.

Won't fit as the 1M is an E82. In any event, I'm doing it for airflow not weight savings.

Neil

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
has anyone made a tubular crash bar to replace the heavy steel crash bar?

I searched for one for about a week and contacted a couple fabricators, even posted in a thread here about getting one developed, but decided to go this route. Down to about 8 or 10lbs from 22.
received_385606515458771.jpegreceived_2269576539969343.jpeg

Reactions: SSDD