What company for a built motor?

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
Mixing up part sizes isn't the end of the world but I can understand the frustration that comes with that. The stamp on the block is a pain in the ass to read correctly. (atleast mine was) Can you give more details on the engine with 2 miles that blew up? Like what exactly failed, Was it a minor issue that was corrected easily or totally fucked. What did VAC do about it?
If you're talking about me, my first VAC motor blew due to a cam bolt snapping and destroying the head and chewing up tops of pistons. But that had nothing to do with VAC, first motor was shipped to me in two parts, block and head. Second motor from VAC was FULLY built sparing no expense and shipped to me fully built.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
So who did you decide to go with for a built motor? I am now in the same boat. Ive done 3 stock swaps and Thats it for that bs. Still curious as to who MMP is using
You're left coast? If I was, I'd talk to VTT/Rebello.

Filippo

Chill

Lurker
Jan 28, 2019
Ride
BMW 1M
any updates on this one? I am looking for a closed deck block, as I do a real track build for this following season

GotPwned

Lurker
Apr 3, 2018
Ride
2007 BMW 335i
any updates on this one? I am looking for a closed deck block, as I do a real track build for this following season
Honestly u can keep your stock block but upgrade everything else. Unless you plan on tracking 700+ a built block isnt really necessary. Plenty of people here had great runs with upgraded twins or a single turbo.

chrisdfv

Corporal
Aug 29, 2017
Ride
E90 335i

If you just want to know where to go for a closed deck, send it to CSS.

If you're looking for a turn key built motor, Billiam Mason is your guy.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Torgus, who did this build? I really like how they did this. Though I'm noticing that's not an N54 engine block....

I don't remember.

If you need an engine built today Billiam Mason is the guy. He built the motiv engine and is the go to person, or so I am told. If/when I build, I hope I never do, he will be doing my build.

_nc_ohc=pMXrWkHNWckAX-9hQqW&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3-1.jpg

shushikiary

Sergeant
Jun 4, 2018
Ride
335xi
Got off the phone with Ghassan, I decided they will do the build. They have so much experience with BMW motors, their heads come from headgames, and they are only a 7 hour drive from me, so I can save on shipping just driving the core out and the new motor back once it's ready. It also comes with a 2 year unlimited mile part and labor warranty rated at 800hp.

Hard to beat all that.

So to mate with my GTX3582R gen II speedtech kit (already on my motor, but I've lost compression in cylinders 2,3, and 6), I'll now have a new built motor from Ghassan that will have a headgames CNC ported head, ferrea oversized valves, spring retainers, and valve seats, schrick high lift cams, a pinned crank so the crank timing sprocket can't come loose, carrillo rods and pistons, ARP head studs, and a closed deck insert.

Reactions: seb.apprenti

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Got off the phone with Ghassan, I decided they will do the build. They have so much experience with BMW motors, their heads come from headgames, and they are only a 7 hour drive from me, so I can save on shipping just driving the core out and the new motor back once it's ready. It also comes with a 2 year unlimited mile part and labor warranty rated at 800hp.

Hard to beat all that.

So to mate with my GTX3582R gen II speedtech kit (already on my motor, but I've lost compression in cylinders 2,3, and 6), I'll now have a new built motor from Ghassan that will have a headgames CNC ported head, ferrea oversized valves, spring retainers, and valve seats, schrick high lift cams, a pinned crank so the crank timing sprocket can't come loose, carrillo rods and pistons, ARP head studs, and a closed deck insert.
Just reading another thread today about a fellow Spoolstreeter’s bad experience with Ghassan. Just curious, how was your experience with them?

• Funny
Reactions: Torgus

ifjd073

Jul 23, 2018
Ride
2007 BMW 335 sedan
LOL...lol.... lolololololol... https://www.spoolstreet.com/threads/tig-welding-4047-on-block.7997/

that's how that went.

My suggestion would be that your options are: Billiam (Motiv), Billy Orton (in Colorado), or the place I ended up which was Octane Enterprises (Colorado).
I started in with Ghassan back before all of the negative press came out... But have been on the receiving end of things I could complain about longer than anyone would care to listen. That said, how is your built engine from Octane holding up? I'm in no mood to have another several thousand dollar flushed directly down the toilet.

shushikiary

Sergeant
Jun 4, 2018
Ride
335xi
It's great. Both the 500 mile and 4k mile oil report looked great. Engine is running strong. Currently almost 10k miles on it now.

The only issues I've had are not at all related to the motor, had a plug wire go bad from the PR coil setup on cyl 4, got that sorted out, but now both my rear O2 sensors are on the fritz, so I've got replacements for those. My billet aluminum valve cover is working well minus some oil seepage from the bottom edge, if I ever pull it I'll use RTV on the bottom edge no matter what anyone says (it's the only way I've found to truly stop seepage on these darn valve covers).

I also have an oil accumulator I've put on it and that's working well, mainly because under HARD braking in the past I've seen oil pressure drop to zero. The accumulator will hold oil pressure for more than 10 seconds above 15 PSI, so I no longer see zero psi under hard braking like I did before this motor, well worth the insurance.

I'm currently building my own LS 408 stroker where I did the piston rings, found a good shop for the machine shop work, did all my own weighing and picked my bob weights (so balanced it my self minus telling the machine shop the bob weights) and checked all the clearances. After having done all that, if I ever have to get another built N54 I'll have that shop do the hone, buy my own pistons, and send a block off to CSS if need be, etc. Basically do it my self, but if I was going to pay someone I'd have Octane do it.

Last edited:

ifjd073

Jul 23, 2018
Ride
2007 BMW 335 sedan
It's great. Both the 500 mile and 4k mile oil report looked great. Engine is running strong. Currently almost 10k miles on it now.

The only issues I've had are not at all related to the motor, had a plug wire go bad from the PR coil setup on cyl 4, got that sorted out, but now both my rear O2 sensors are on the fritz, so I've got replacements for those. My billet aluminum valve cover is working well minus some oil seepage from the bottom edge, if I ever pull it I'll use RTV on the bottom edge no matter what anyone says (it's the only way I've found to truly stop seepage on these darn valve covers).

I also have an oil accumulator I've put on it and that's working well, mainly because under HARD braking in the past I've seen oil pressure drop to zero. The accumulator will hold oil pressure for more than 10 seconds above 15 PSI, so I no longer see zero psi under hard braking like I did before this motor, well worth the insurance.

I'm currently building my own LS 408 stroker where I did the piston rings, found a good shop for the machine shop work, did all my own weighing and picked my bob weights (so balanced it my self minus telling the machine shop the bob weights) and checked all the clearances. After having done all that, if I ever have to get another built N54 I'll have that shop do the hone, buy my own pistons, and send a block off to CSS if need be, etc. Basically do it my self, but if I was going to pay someone I'd have Octane do it.
Did they re-reman your engine or did you have to source a new donor. I'm not sure I trust my "built" motor as a donor - 1,000 miles and a compromised head gasket coupled with a ton of bearing sparkles in the oil filter and cap...