What is the next upgrade?

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Elevation is important to
I have not considered relocated inlets but I will now.

@tisdrew, this thread was intended for performance mods, not cosmetic but thank you. Also this is a DCT IS.

Regarding the 3.5 Bar sensor, I already have one installed because I got it on the cheap in anticipation of upgrading the turbos in a couple years.

@Rob09msport, can you elaborate on your comment? I am running Flex fuel maps

@fmorelli so you think just get the BQ tune, and each time I do an upgrade, have it re-tuned?
E85 allows more agressive timing and or boost . Running more agressive it's better to have more info then less and you have the ability to be at 20lb in midrange easily even on stock turbos.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
To me, drawing dirty engine compartment air, in the vicinity of the turbos seems a dubious improvement at best. Can anyone explain why this is a good thing? Heck, a better thing?

Thanks, Filippo

p.s. On the tune, re-tune, etc. With stock turbos I'm wondering if you have any benefit from these other changes being explored, beyond just throwing parts at the car. I think a custom tune focused on what you have will yield the most benefit. I've spent another car's worth of money in my car, so I guess $100 is not the decision-making factor for me, so I can't really answer that part of it.
I'm not sure the air is any "dirtier" on the turbo side. It is a great question though. Relocation kit equals less distance for the air to travel but if the air is hotter, does that negate the benefit of the shorter pipes?

Yes, you are right, what is $100 compared to what we put into these cars. I know once I custom tune I will say to myself, "why did I wait".

There is only one review of the VRSF kit on X-ph and it is not a good one.

@Coupes66 yeah after more reading, seems the outlets only benefit larger aftermarket turbos.

@E92-Ghandi I don't think the catch can adds much benefit as I don't mind walnut blasting.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Actually the catch cans can reduce octane lowering oil in your intake. Also just health of engine and smoke, smell prevention. The low side is more preventative and helps maintenance intervals but high side is a must on this platform.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
To me, drawing dirty engine compartment air, in the vicinity of the turbos seems a dubious improvement at best. Can anyone explain why this is a good thing? Heck, a better thing?

Why would the air be dirty? Where the passenger side cones are they are getting plenty of clean ambient temp air. When the car is moving it does not heat soak there if that is what you were thinking?

The driver's side inlet pipes have a bigger delta between the pipes so one turbo is working harder in theory. It seems even the vendors go passenger side for the front see VTT & BMS. It's also a bad place to run silicone around the driver's side in front of the motor. It's more work to install but passenger side seem to make the most sense for a variety of reasons.

The real joy of passenger side inlets is you have already relocated your coolant tank so when you go ST it is one less thing to do ;)

Honestly though I think either passenger or driver's side will perform basically exactly the same, I prefer the passenger side.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Stock turbos? Maybe inlets, forget the outlet, and get a custom tune. As for the outlet, if and when you go upgraded turbos it's an easy install. Honestly I'd just get a custom tune and have fun on 'er. BQ knows his way around a DCT. Hit me up when you're ready for turbos and we'll be happy to work with you.

Chris

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Can't wait to hear your impressions after its dialed in
I can tell you it already shifts better, and zero timing corrections. Pulls great and I am on the first revision map.
I was running an E70 blend and he wants me to bring it down to E50. I did a pull today and HPFP hit in the 15s which is way to low.
He replies very quickly which is nice.

Reactions: typedRew

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
@BQTuning customer service is excellent - I've done a bunch of maps with him over the last several years and he's about spoiled me. Glad to hear he's dialing you in. Looking forward to hearing where your at when everything is settled in and you've gotten familiar with your final tune.

Filippo

Reactions: typedRew

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I feel like my back end is a little loose. I have a Vvetish Diff brace and I remember when I installed it that is made a huge difference in how the rear end felt when gassing it.
Now I seem to be feeling a little sway in the back end. What can I look for?
I did jack the car up and the brace is still on there tight.

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
The rubber bushings can wear out over time. Deflection in the bushings will have an effect on how well your car can put the power to the ground since it will change the suspension geometry. That's why many upgrade to solid or poly mounts, M3 control arms, etc.

Are you still on the OEM open diff? Maybe what you are feeling is torque steer then.

Attachments

• Subframe and diff bushings.png
    Subframe and diff bushings.png
    209.9 KB · Views: 41
  • rear susp bushings.png
    rear susp bushings.png
    248.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Informative
Reactions: tisdrew

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Thanks! Will be looking to upgrade them soon.
I am on the OEM diff but it's not torque steer. I feel it just slowly moving the steering wheel back and forth on the freeway.
I have been going WOT a lot pulling logs for my tuner and I think you are correct that maybe my bushings are worn out.
Have 66K on the odometer.

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
Stock turbos? Maybe inlets, forget the outlet, and get a custom tune. As for the outlet, if and when you go upgraded turbos it's an easy install. Honestly I'd just get a custom tune and have fun on 'er. BQ knows his way around a DCT. Hit me up when you're ready for turbos and we'll be happy to work with you.

Chris
I find that the oem has a very tight bend, have to finesse this away from this away from the manifold. This for a 535.

Attachments

• C14256B1-AE41-4530-A6CE-9AA9D92DB55D.jpeg
    C14256B1-AE41-4530-A6CE-9AA9D92DB55D.jpeg
    435.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 7E377153-138E-4741-A090-D3CBB3E4C9AB.jpeg
    7E377153-138E-4741-A090-D3CBB3E4C9AB.jpeg
    354.4 KB · Views: 54

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
If you still have stock OEM wheels I highly suggest getting a set of light weight wheels, which will save you ~8lbs per corner (like, from 29lbs to 20lbs, IIRC for my 18” Apex ARC-8 wheels). It may not sound like much but you’ll notice a great improvement in acceleration and braking because of the lower rotational mass, and handling will be improved because of the lower unsprung weight.

Reactions: NoGuru

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Thanks! Will be looking to upgrade them soon.
I am on the OEM diff but it's not torque steer. I feel it just slowly moving the steering wheel back and forth on the freeway.
I have been going WOT a lot pulling logs for my tuner and I think you are correct that maybe my bushings are worn out.
Have 66K on the odometer.

Go with solid metal subframe bushings. No added NVH and the new bmws come with solid from the factory.

On the rear diff if you go solid you will get diff whine. So your call on solid vs m3 or poly. I went solid and it does not bother me but there is gear whine. I would suggest a ride in a car with solid so you can hear it.

I would start with subframe and diff and if that does not fix your issues look at the rear suspension components.

Reactions: NoGuru