What is the next upgrade?

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
2.36 stock which at 600whp does limit a little bit I don't know cause rear section does crimp down and bend so I am thinking of doing 3.5 as well but I love the sound of my vibrant resonators

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Busy day yesterday. I had the secondary cats removed and Vibrant resonators installed. Love the sound now.

Also meet with Shawn, the owner of the DAW turbos. He seemed to know Turbos very well. I did ask about the 3.5" exhaust and he said I would gain power and drop weight and that he tested it on the Dyno. I never saw numbers though but have no reason not to believe him.

My new turbos are scheduled to be installed October 2nd and 3rd.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
You should get some photos of the shop, equipment, etc. Add some credibility for him here
From business perspective sometimes less is more and customers that are skeptical like that are not worth the sale. Also pics don't mean anything yes it may grow sales fast but it's better to not explode cause that's usually what ruins things .

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Yeah I don't think he is that interested in making a lot of sales. At one point he mentioned he should be selective on who he sells Turbos to. Almost like he has been burned before but I am just going off speculation.

The shop was full of all kinds of performance parts like injectors, turbo pipping and it was pretty clean as well. There was lots of Audi's, Subi's, VW's, and Bimmers there and they do have there own Dyno.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Yeah I don't think he is that interested in making a lot of sales. At one point he mentioned he should be selective on who he sells Turbos to. Almost like he has been burned before but I am just going off speculation.
I think that is because he hasn't been able to fulfill some orders in the time frame he advertises on his website and people don't like that. I ordered my stage 4s July 30th still waiting.

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Don't need Fyre turbos lol . Hopefully you get yours soon but better to wait then have crap drop shipped to you.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I am chasing a boost leak. Took the car back to the shop that installed the Turbos and they did a smoke test up to 20psi and didn't see anything.
Right around 17psi boost target stays and boost falls off. Maybe I should replace my boost solenoids?

• Agree
Reactions: Rob09msport

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
I am chasing a boost leak. Took the car back to the shop that installed the Turbos and they did a smoke test up to 20psi and didn't see anything.
Right around 17psi boost target stays and boost falls off. Maybe I should replace my boost solenoids?
What rpm does this happen at?

RNM

Corporal
Jun 3, 2019

I am having the same problem with newly installed turbos. Boost drops off around 5500 rpm and it falls flat on its face. I have already pressure tested, smoked tested it, did new boost solenoids and still no cigar. Next thing I'm going to do is have a shop pry open the head and check out the cam ledge bearings.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Looks like it happens around 5200 ish
Seems about right for spoolling I would think since it is around 17psi

@RNM what does the cam ledge bearings do or show? I don't comprehend.
I wouldn't bother it has to be something to do with the actual turbos themselves. I know multiple people with DA turbos that have this issue where chasing down so many problems to just figure out it was the turbos

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I wouldn't bother it has to be something to do with the actual turbos themselves. I know multiple people with DA turbos that have this issue where chasing down so many problems to just figure out it was the turbos
I'm not sure I follow you. How could it be the Turbos? It's mechanical so you accelerate, create spool, it will spool as long as it has a seal.
Just trying to understand.