What would you like to see developed that currently doesn't exist ?

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
I'm pretty sure the Motec M141 can control piezo's. I've been digging on Motec's website recently. M142 has been used by Motiv on an N54 if I remember but I'm told they machined the head to accept N55 injectors. I'm guessing this is because the M141 was still in development.

There's actually an N54 base map on Motec's website. If you download M1 Tune, which is free, you can open the base map.

Here's a direct link.

Yes, correct the Motec141 can indeed. I was mainly speaking about units that compare with the one that VTT markets. Since that was specifically mentioned

Reactions: SJ_1989

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
Yes, correct the Motec141 can indeed. I was mainly speaking about units that compare with the one that VTT markets. Since that was specifically mentioned

Oh yea, sure. I was just mentioning it because I stumbled across this the other day looking for DI standalones. Surprised there was a base map.

E92 420

Corporal
Jul 8, 2017
United Kingdom
Ride
BMW e92 335i
A proper aluminium hot side pipe for RHD cars, and a RHD inlet relocation kit that goes into a sealed carbon airbox, also a carbon engine cover really not a fan of NRW’s design

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Had a thought. What about a proper strong lightweight parcel shelf that securely fits low in the E82 rear seat area and can hold weight of track wheels, etc?

Not just a rear seat delete. Functional and classy.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
A custom sub enclosure for ski pass. They only made one for e93 a while back

A meth kit packaged and setup to work with flex fuel with a custom tank that mounts in the trunk compartment where spare tires used to go

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
A meth kit packaged and setup to work with flex fuel with a custom tank that mounts in the trunk compartment where spare tires used to go

You mean this?

attachment.jpg

I think Advan in AUS made them. Problem is they are pretty small for a meth tank. You will have to refill more often. No tank level sensor location(it could be added) so you have no idea when you are running low. Whatever meth tank you get make sure it is baffled, I assume Advan's is but I would contact them. You still have to mount the pump externally so it is far from a stealth install imo.

Too bad Howerton stopped their meth tanks. I think they are the best design I have seen thus far and what I run: https://www.bummerboost.com/showthread.php?43092-Howerton-Engineering-4-AN-twin-tank-review

The issue with FF it is can't see the meth as it get's injected in the CP fast the FF sensor. It also only knows you E content not your octane rating. I think a custom tune is the only real solution. FF is basically the same cost as a custom tune.

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
You mean this?

View attachment 29834

I think Advan in AUS made them. Problem is they are pretty small for a meth tank. You will have to refill more often. No tank level sensor location(it could be added) so you have no idea when you are running low. Whatever meth tank you get make sure it is baffled, I assume Advan's is but I would contact them. Too bad Howerton stopped their meth tanks. I think they are the best design I have seen thus far.

The issue with FF it is can't see the meth as it get's injected in the CP fast the FF sensor. It also only knows you E content not your octane rating. I think a custom tune is the only real solution. FF is basically the same cost as a custom tune.
I am aware of that one why not raise the whole trunk floor 3 inches and simply house pump and a sump in the bottom

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
You would think Advan would have known better. Stainless or Plastic ftw.

I guess maybe if you hard anodized the aluminum you would be ok.

Just out of curiousity what is the issue with aluminum and why do you think you know better than Advan?

• Dumb
Reactions: The Convert

E92 420

Corporal
Jul 8, 2017
United Kingdom
Ride
BMW e92 335i
Just out of curiousity what is the issue with aluminum and why do you think you know better than Advan?

Meth is corrosive to soft metals!

Anyway I’m sure this was a preproduction version all final ones were hard anodised black.

And also I don’t think this is produced anymore.

Reactions: JBacon335

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH

Meth and aluminum do not mix:

http://www.methanol.org/wp-content/...of-Metals-Alloys-in-Neat-Methanol-Service.pdf

https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=39643

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol

Advan offered their Meth tank in RAW aluminum for the price of $750. Under a gallon as well iirc. Small an not very useful other than it fitting in a small space. No level sensor, no visual aid in how full the tank is etc. Much better tanks on the market like this for instance: http://www.aquamist-direct.com/806-690s-new-10l-single-tank-with-bracket-internally-baffled-drilled/ 2.5 gallons means not filling up once a month. Main thing is you want to make sure is that the meth will not corrode and that it is baffled, after that size, mounting location, etc.

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
Methanol will not damage aluminum. I’m not talking about an aluminum alloy.

You also mentioned plastic which could mean anything, it really needs to be HDPE

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Strange I’ve always understood this to be the case. I could be wrong, Everything I’ve read seems to back it up. I distinctly remember a documentary that about methanol dragsters running gas /petrol to “pickle” them so that it doesn’t corrode tanks, manifolds etc.Im no scientist so now I’m doubting what I know :)
Can you please explain why you believe that it doesn’t?

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH

I was just going off what I read on the internet and what I was always told that aluminum and meth do not mix. I understand taking advice on the internet is not always the right thing to do.

Example:

One of the drawbacks of methanol as a fuel is its corrosivity to some metals, including aluminum. Methanol, although a weak acid, attacks the oxide coating that normally protects the aluminium from corrosion:

6 CH3OH + Al2O3 → 2 Al(OCH3)3 + 3 H2O

The resulting methoxide salts are soluble in methanol, resulting in clean aluminum surface, which is readily oxidized by some dissolved oxygen. Also the methanol can act as an oxidizer:

6 CH3OH + 2 Al → 2 Al(OCH3)3 + 3 H2

This reciprocal process effectively fuels corrosion until either the metal is eaten away or the concentration of CH3OH is negligible. Concerns with methanol's corrosivity have been addressed by using methanol compatible materials, and fuel additives that serve as corrosion inhibitors.

Wikipedia also has this same error: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol:
Fuel for vehicles[edit]
Main articles: Methanol fuel and methanol economy
Methanol is occasionally used to fuel internal combustion engines. It burns forming carbon dioxide and water:

2 CH3OH + 3 O2 → 2 CO2 + 4 H2O
One problem with high concentrations of methanol in fuel is that alcohols corrode some metals, particularly aluminium. <--They specifically all out aluminum.

For every 10 places I read online that says do not mix aluminum with methanol I read one place that says it is ok.

Regardless, that Advan tank is not ideal for a variety of reasons I stated above. If the aluminum material it is fabricated is not one of the reasons to not use it, it still does not make it a good product compared to the other solutions on the market.

Last edited:

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I had another idea that would be good to bring to a mass market level, but it escapes me right now. Such is the way life goes at times I guess.

I really think a nice metal guibo and other drivetrain parts are what this platform is lacking to put it full on into the racecar category that e36 and e46 cars can so easily get into with the amount of parts readily available though.