What would you like to see developed that currently doesn't exist ?

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
I still say flex fuel is opening up a nice market for a dpmi kit on the flex fuel pin and a nice tank that fits up against rear seat or on floor in trunk maybe even outside car somewhere idk. Jb4 was way to go for meth unless you were scalbert or one if the og n54 gurus. Now that plates and manifolds are cheap flex logic is the only way to do meth.

A tablet mounting solution for idrive guys ,Vader clip is meant for non idrive.
A mounting solution with wireless charging so can charge and log same time.

@Twisted Tuning's flowguard works off the FF pin, IIRC.

Have you checked out proclip? I just bought one for my idrive car and while I can't wait to get the cables out of the way once MHD Wifi is out, it's very solid, albeit expensive.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I still say flex fuel is opening up a nice market for a dpmi kit on the flex fuel pin Jb4 was way to go for meth unless you were scalbert or one if the og n54 gurus. Now that plates and manifolds are cheap flex logic is the only way to do meth.

I don't understand why flex fuel has anything to do with running meth? Can you explain?

Most who run meth have the same fuel in their tank day in and day out and run the same percentage of water to meth. Wouldn't a normal custom tune be all that is needed?

The best products for meth injection on the N54 would be Aquamist HS4 then @Twisted Tuning's solution with JB4 coming in 3rd I believe. AM being the most 'complete kit' needing the least 'other' parts offering the more functionality/features than the others, in my eyes.

and a nice tank that fits up against rear seat or on floor in trunk maybe even outside car somewhere idk.

Someone should just remake the howerton engineering kit twin tank. It sits in the corner above the stock amp just fine and allows you to open the trunk liner, is baffled well, and holds a lot, easy to fill, visual fill indicator w/ LED for night time, as well as low tank gauge alert, circulation fan, etc:

You can still fit your clubs:
attachment.jpg

Have you checked out proclip?

Where do you have it mounted? Pic?

Last edited:

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
I don't understand why flex fuel has anything to do with running meth? Can you explain?
In his case I believe it is more of a safety, if flow were to stop because the tank is empty, lines are clogged, etc. it uses that to adjust timing to compensate for the loss of octane.

IMG_20190731_132940.jpg
I normally keep it in portrait orientation, but it clips around the fake wood trim, not the vents. You buy a specific clip for your car, this one is specifically for iDrive 3-series, and then a holder for your device that can swivel around a bit depending on how much you tighten it. I haven't seen the vader clip, but this is similar I assume, no suction cups, adhesives, magnets, or drilling/cutting into the trim.

Last edited:

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
In his case I believe it is more of a safety, if flow were to stop because the tank is empty, lines are clogged, etc. it uses that to adjust timing to compensate for the loss of octane.

View attachment 30057
I normally keep it in portrait orientation, but it clips around the fake wood trim, not the vents. You buy a specific clip for your car, this one is specifically for iDrive 3-series, and then a holder for your device that can swivel around a bit depending on how much you tighten it. I haven't seen the vader clip, but this is similar I assume, no suction cups, adhesives, magnets, or drilling/cutting into the trim.

But how would the FF know the meth stopped flowing? It only see's the octane of the fuel. It has no idea you are injecting meth. Or am I missing something or is this specific to the TT flowguard because you can't use TT's flowguard and FF: ****NOTE- not compatible with cars that have Motiv flex fuel sensor installed. TT Flowguard and Motiv FF sensor cannot be run in unison. Only one or the other****

Does it have to clip below the vent or can it clip to anywhere along the trim? I ask as I have a gauge in both vents and like to be able to see them ;)

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
I believe he has a sensor in-line somewhere, pretty sure it's specific to his stuff, but I'm not that versed in methanol. I do believe it's either/or, since it's the same pin.

It's designed to go in that spot I think, not in my car atm but doesn't the trim vary in width? It might just be a matter of avoiding the pushpins holding the trim in.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
BMW killed the product. One can speculate why ... but they killed it instead of, say, universally adopting it across all their cars (which is the other direction it could have gone). Zero M cars get that guibo in the past eight years. Why is that?

We have a prototype in T6061, which we use factory rubber sleeve isolation bushings like BMW. Don't know if it will ever see daylight. Personally I would never use poly there. It was a pet project of mine @ 3DM ... but @barry@3DM has too many suspension fish to fry and I just don't know that I care to solve that so much, any more. That said, it would be cool if someone did. The market is not E9x ... there are a handful of sizes - the market is pretty damn big.

Filippo

My 1m came with the metal guibo from factory and its been running perfectly fine, ive looked into the idea and spoke to number of cnc machinist about it and its an expensive undertaking here in oz.

Its not something that can be done cheaply either, each piece would cost me 1.2k to make and add a little for the r&d, taxes and shipping, and still no profit in it.

I could bring the price down maybe 100 or 200 dollars but a minimum order of 100 is needed.

Big investment for something that most likely won't sell that well.

I do look into the ideas you guys have mentioned but most cant be made for the prices most are willing to pay.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
My 1m came with the metal guibo from factory and its been running perfectly fine,
Yes. You have an original BMW example that works. Hypothetically if 4 out of every 10 fail, and you own one of the 6 that haven't failed, beyond saying you are fortunate, I'm wondering what point you are making?

BMW killed the cast (hint) aluminum guibo. Why is that?

Since we've made a prototype and spent a little $$$ and time, and you've looked into it with a machinist, we're both in hypothesis land. That said, my point is ... if there is a significant benefit to a non fully rubber guibo (of which I would assume BMW pursued this with a couple performance cars because they determined an advantage), there is a market far larger than spoolstreet, for a working example. How many BMW models x enthusiasts in a global market / capture rate. Where we disagree is that you say it is "likely" not a good seller. Based on what?

If you are looking for product ideas that "you guys" would pay for ... that makes money for the r&d and development ... then I'm completely with you. I would expect no item that is more than a 20-30 person group buy, tops, with spoolstreet as the audience. So all product lifecycle need to go through an r&d / development / prototypes / testing / production / sales funnel that nets a reasonable profit on 20-30 items. Which ... is likely very very small set of possible items. It is, a self-fulfilling set size that drives to zero. Which definitely includes the guibo!

Filippo

Last edited:

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
What about a Y pipe for E82 midpipe? To delete the resonator anchor. BMW Performance used to have one, but that's out of production.

THIS I KNOW FOR A FACT will sell on the 1Addicts forums. I remember one of the BMWP used y-pipes a member there sold actually turned into an auction.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Big investment for something that most likely won't sell that well.

I do look into the ideas you guys have mentioned but most cant be made for the prices most are willing to pay.
Like I said, I didn't mean it in a negative way at all - it just seems like an awful lot of "thatd cost x to make and wouldnt sell" or "theres this one on the market already" which just feels like a dismissal to me.
Yes. You have an original BMW example that works. Where we disagree is that you say it is "likely" not a good seller. Based on what?

If you are looking for product ideas that "you guys" would pay for ... that makes money for the r&d and development ... then I'm completely with you. I would expect no item that is more than a 20-30 person group buy, tops, with spoolstreet as the audience. So all product lifecycle need to go through an r&d / development / prototypes / testing / production / sales funnel that nets a reasonable profit on 20-30 items. Which ... is likely very very small set of possible items. It is, a self-fulfilling set size that drives to zero. Which definitely includes the guibo!

Filippo
I guess that's something I didnt consider - @martymil are you simply looking for things a forum and FB group would buy/limited run items, or things the entire enthusiast market would look for? If the former I can certainly see why you'd skip a metal guibo and universal midpipes plus some of the other things mentioned in here like door panels and deletes. If the latter though and you're looking to bring things to the market long term and have continuing production ala your Plasmaman manifold, I think you might be surprised at what you could sell. Theres a reason RevShift and IRS have metal guibos for every gen of BMW (just naturally enough, nothing that fits with the N54), so I dont think any R&D towards that (especially if @fmorelli and you talked) would be wasted long term.

Other ideas I can think of:
1. An under drive pulley kit - useful both for people who want to keep their creature comforts or for those of us who have deleted the AC. Probably too tricky if you're staying on small batch runs though.

2. a standard bumper foglight delete that allows you to either run brake cooling hose or hose up to the air intakes etc. I have the HARD foglight delete, but it's only PnP for the M3 and Mtech bumper since the foglight housing is seperate and circular. It will work on a stock e92 foglight but its gonna require a good bit of modification to the FL housing which I havent gotten around to, due to the amount of work. I think that route would look much better than these JDM style headlights on offer now that have a cutout where one bulb would be. This would probably sell well both small-batch or as a stocked item.

3. A regulator/FF-side tophat that doesn't have the FF and regulator built into it and is *truly* modular. A stock quick connect style outlet along with a -6an port for either a secondary fuel line or as a fuel return would be excellent, even moreso if you could find a way to allow the use of any run of the mill OTS external FPR to slip into it. I know PR sells a billet top hat but that one requires their full $2.3k fuel system to use. I'm not sure if the EoS one requires their full system too but I believe it does. You could even make one out of plastic or 3d printing to save costs for those of us who dont need shiny things hidden under the seat.

bantam

Corporal
Nov 20, 2017
Ride
2009 335i
No, first off it's like $700. Second, I'm not certain that the frame rails are the same width, the m3 is a decent amount wider than the 335i. A simple single aluminum or thin wall steel bar would suffice and could easily sell for $200. Any decent fabricator could have one done in under an hour. $$$ profit.

I think I got a front and rear for $500, just have to be patient. It fits fine, many people (including myself) have used it. Frame rails are the same...

Reactions: Cheezy

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
But how would the FF know the meth stopped flowing? It only see's the octane of the fuel. It has no idea you are injecting meth. Or am I missing something or is this specific to the TT flowguard because you can't use TT's flowguard and FF: ****NOTE- not compatible with cars that have Motiv flex fuel sensor installed. TT Flowguard and Motiv FF sensor cannot be run in unison. Only one or the other****

Does it have to clip below the vent or can it clip to anywhere along the trim? I ask as I have a gauge in both vents and like to be able to see them ;)
They cant be used together cause they both rely on the same logic.
The meth needs a sensor out controller that can output 0 to 5v based on flow, then you have 2 maps one a base Map same base you use for a e85 flex fuel but instead of a full e85 map for it to interpolate from you have a meth map for full use of cooling , octane, fueling etc. The reason is now you can have a switch on your pump or a button if wanted and drive around on a custom flash with great performance but then for track or race or whatever you can instantly raise boost and timing plus take advantage of additional fuel capacity if necessary and you don't have to flash anything or have risk that if tank runs low you run lean cause reduced flow is instantly compensated. Yes we have had that before but now instead of wastegate dumping or some other limp mode now you still have full performance available of your non meth map. Also with spark plug deactivation this is really safe I'd even say ff logic with jayoma spark cut is safer than the stock flash

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
They cant be used together cause they both rely on the same logic.
The meth needs a sensor out controller that can output 0 to 5v based on flow, then you have 2 maps one a base Map same base you use for a e85 flex fuel but instead of a full e85 map for it to interpolate from you have a meth map for full use of cooling , octane, fueling etc. The reason is now you can have a switch on your pump or a button if wanted and drive around on a custom flash with great performance but then for track or race or whatever you can instantly raise boost and timing plus take advantage of additional fuel capacity if necessary and you don't have to flash anything or have risk that if tank runs low you run lean cause reduced flow is instantly compensated. Yes we have had that before but now instead of wastegate dumping or some other limp mode now you still have full performance available of your non meth map. Also with spark plug deactivation this is really safe I'd even say ff logic with jayoma spark cut is safer than the stock flash

Thank you! That makes perfect sense. Interesting, I don't think it would ever be of use to me just because of what I already have but I can see why someone might want to use it like that. Pretty cool.

Do you 1st have to basically get a custom 93 tune and then a custom 93 + meth tune so have two maps made for your car to interpolate to and from? I can't imagine a generic map would be worth the sacrifice in performance vs. a custom tune?

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Very cool. Turn the meth on with a flick of a switch, full flow 5v and you are on your custom meth map. If it was not for having aquamist and not being a daily I am sure I would go this route. Thanks for explaining guys.

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Very cool. Turn the meth on with a flick of a switch, full flow 5v and you are on your custom meth map. If it was not for having aquamist and not being a daily I am sure I would go this route. Thanks for explaining guys.
Exactly if you are never going to not run meth then it Is of no benefit over an hs4 , I honestly was thinking of just doing hs4 cause it has the safeties but I think what I really like Is ability to run a lower boost and or timing to not be all out and then being able to basically switch maps like I would think you maybe make a high boost map and have a switch for 5v constant that powers an hs4 and sets the ff pin to run the other Map so now you have a way to have map switching and still have boost cut from the meth controller. Or you could have a race gas map and a 93 map and you switch gas then flip switch i just think people havent tapped the potential of flex fuel logic

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Exactly if you are never going to not run meth then it Is of no benefit over an hs4 , I honestly was thinking of just doing hs4 cause it has the safeties but I think what I really like Is ability to run a lower boost and or timing to not be all out and then being able to basically switch maps like I would think you maybe make a high boost map and have a switch for 5v constant that powers an hs4 and sets the ff pin to run the other Map so now you have a way to have map switching and still have boost cut from the meth controller. Or you could have a race gas map and a 93 map and you switch gas then flip switch i just think people havent tapped the potential of flex fuel logic

Yeah that's the thing, I always plan on running meth. I have my meth set to inject on boost psi. I don't inject under roughly 17psi so I just use my foot to keep me out of the injection window which is easy enough. If I go above 17psi it's because I am at WOT and WANT to be injecting and running all out.

The HS4 is pretty cool. I like the gauge letting me know if I am running low on meth, that it is injecting & flow, and that if I press the button on the gauge it instantly all goes away. I would suggest wiring it in so the gauge dims when you turn your lights on. That and the failsafes are pretty bad ass. Takes a bit longer to install but I think it is worth it and the most complete meth kit on the market with the most useful features. Like most things, you get what you pay for. There is certainly less expensive meth kits on the market.

• Agree
Reactions: E92 420

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
So in tour case imagine having a race fuel 100 octane map and a 93 map both meth maps but you could switch on fly but honestly ya hs4 is way to go anyway you slice it cause you could use the output to the ff pin if wanted but def no need

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
So I think I am about to order a noreboost shifter retrofit and wire the sport button to turn on the meth with ff map will be like a true extra 100hp with sport activated