What would you like to see developed that currently doesn't exist ?

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I think only a few people knew anything about that. Seemed like a sound idea though.
I would imagine that is what’s going to be used with the mhd integration seeing as how eos, motiv, and mhd have a really close relationship with one another.

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
What I'm really curious if feasible (but likely not) is a "poor mans" standalone using the OEM DME for engine control and use a piggyback of some sort to fake out the DME so I can remove the main wiring harness and modules completely from the car. Wiring harness itself weighs 50 lbs and the CAN network doesn't allow you to easily unplug modules without forcing the car into limp mode. I'm all for simplicity.

Is there high demand for this, nope.....not everyone wants to turn their car into a dedicated track car. Hardware wise it would be cheaper than going standalone. I'm sure it's R&D intensive though so that would be added to any hardware costs which might make it cost prohibitive. I pitched this to Terry, but for obvious reasons stated above, respectfully declined lol. One can dream.

JimboFresh206

Sergeant
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335/635/535/533/633
is BMS coming out with some kind of "cheap" module to run pumps etc???

is that thing going to work for PI?

saw it on n54t and was curious :)

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
What I'm really curious if feasible (but likely not) is a "poor mans" standalone using the OEM DME for engine control and use a piggyback of some sort to fake out the DME so I can remove the main wiring harness and modules completely from the car. Wiring harness itself weighs 50 lbs and the CAN network doesn't allow you to easily unplug modules without forcing the car into limp mode. I'm all for simplicity.

Is there high demand for this, nope.....not everyone wants to turn their car into a dedicated track car. Hardware wise it would be cheaper than going standalone. I'm sure it's R&D intensive though so that would be added to any hardware costs which might make it cost prohibitive. I pitched this to Terry, but for obvious reasons stated above, respectfully declined lol. One can dream.
I could be wrong, but I believe the standalone that VTT sells can essentially do that. I believe Tony said with it all the dme controls is the DI injectors, but everything else from HPFP to boost control to PI is all the standalone. It's also not manufactured by VTT for those of you who fear their products, they just have exclusive distribution rights AFAIK.

@martymil I would be okay paying ~120-180 for an aluminum guibo as long as it was significantly stronger/thicker than the OEM one and used either stiffer rubber bushings or some other type of bushings. A lot of people on this platform just want that peak dyno number which I know a guibo wouldnt necessarily directly translate to, but being able to actually put down the power is something that absolutely should be the focus of many people and many vendors nowadays imo. We have 750-900whp cars out there who even with drag radials run shitty times because their driveline and suspension isnt setup to put down that power. At best most of them have some M3 control arms but even that isnt enough when the m3 was made to put down what, 400whp?

Reactions: JimboFresh206

JimboFresh206

Sergeant
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335/635/535/533/633
a "copy" of the function7 guibo seems like it would be a winner :)

looks like it already has e9x/30i/28i fitment offerings around 315 Euro/315 Usd..... but makes no mention of 35i etc...

@martymil it would be cool to support a forum fabricator, do you think its worth your time/ours to make this one?

https://www.function-7.com/products/e46m3-guibo

Last edited:

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
I could be wrong, but I believe the standalone that VTT sells can essentially do that. I believe Tony said with it all the dme controls is the DI injectors, but everything else from HPFP to boost control to PI is all the standalone. It's also not manufactured by VTT for those of you who fear their products, they just have exclusive distribution rights AFAIK.

Forgot about this. If that's the case, and I can remove 50+ lbs of extra crap, awesomesauce.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
a "copy" of the function7 guibo seems like it would be a winner :)

looks like it already has e9x/30i/28i fitment offerings around 315 Euro/315 Usd..... but makes no mention of 35i etc...

@martymil it would be cool to support a forum fabricator, do you think its worth your time/ours to make this one?

https://www.function-7.com/products/e46m3-guibo

View attachment 27811
That looks like an awesome design, the (presumably) CNCd metal, large rubber bushings, and two piece design to help with weight are all huge pluses in my book. AFAIK the 335i has a one-off Guibo, as even IRP and (I think) Revshift offer guibos for the same cars and M3s but none mention fitment for the 335. I dont even necessarily need something THAT fancy, but it would be a beautiful and functional piece to have. Even something like the relatively bland looking IRP guibos would be functional enough that I'd love to have one.
Forgot about this. If that's the case, and I can remove 50+ lbs of extra crap, awesomesauce.
Yep, I believe it can be used as a full stand-alone for everything in the car aside from the piezo injectors, but I could be wrong. It certainly sounded like a nice device though.

Reactions: JimboFresh206

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Threads like these are great because it makes vendors sit up and listen what people want/need.
100% agree, I wish more vendors did it tbh. We dont need another "best ever FMIC" or different colored DCIs just because they're cheap to make and easy to profit on. I really think what a lot of us are dying for is no longer high HP, but things allowing us to use that HP.

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
Not all vendors have the technical skills requiered to do half of whats in this thread tho...

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I personally don't have the software skills, but know people that do and all I can do is reach out on your behalf.

But threads like these show multiple vendors that read them what people actually want, I reached out to a few vendors across multiple forums and didn't even
get a response and just goes to show how arrogant some can be.

I know they are inundated with hundreds of emails everyday but if you want to be in business you need to sit up and listen to your customers.

One thing I know people would really like to see is an app or hardware solution to override the engine fan to full speed for a predetermined amount of time and trip the feature off at full throttle

• Agree
Reactions: Panzerfaust

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
One thing I know people would really like to see is an app or hardware solution to override the engine fan to full speed for a predetermined amount of time and trip the feature off at full throttle

This has been on my to-do list as well. I already have everything I need to test it out and mock it up based on the testing I was doing with the S55 fuel pumps.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Not all vendors have the technical skills requiered to do half of whats in this thread tho...
Yes, lots of the vendors are just that - vendors for other companies (x-ph, all those other middleman) or buy stuff in mass from China and resell it (ColoradoN5x and several other vendors). This thread and ones like it are more useful for the people actually looking to develope the platform more or do some R&D in order to help the platform, rather than just make a quick buck. I dont think Marty has an R&D department even half the size of a place like ECS, BimmerWorld, FCP, etc - but he loves the N54 and wants to see what these cars can really do, while taking care of the communities needs at the same time. Theres only a handful of vendors nowadays still doing stuff like that (EoS, PR, VTT, MMP in regards to turbos, Turner Motorsport) and they help keep the platform alive. It's kind of sad to me that people like AD-E or ViE decided to take money without having product because they were two other companies who seemed to want to push things forward, but apparently there wasnt enough overhead for them.

Reactions: suspenceful