What would you like to see developed that currently doesn't exist ?

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
That is what Martial@MHD seems to think, manifold issue.
Problem is, Omar@Hydra has the stock manifold on his N53 head engine, and runs 17degree of timing on pump gas without timing drops...

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
If his A/f ratio is rich enough you may not notice it, also i think its a function of charge pipe, throttle body and manifold.A difference in any of these three could be contributing. He could also be lucky :)

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I thought cyl 5 was combo of hot spot due to water jacket design and also knock sensor being right their doesnt help. The manifold could help but I wonder if we could just richer up that one cylinder slightly ? I also do think carbon could def play a role but that is why I said it's a combo cause 5 then 2 are noisiest so that's gotta be airflow. Then 5 is worse on some so that's prob valves being dirty. I also wonder what plugging the head ports does for flow it should help reduce turbulence in theory.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
An EGT on the exhaust could do it. It’ll show slightly leaner than the others and so should be warmer.

We run 6 EGT probes, and have for a very long time. #5 does not show any temp difference. Of course, we have not run a stock manifold for 3 years, but we really do not think that is the issue. The N53 head is not likely to do anything to change this. It's most likely a block/knock sensor issue. This is another issue that went away once we switched to the right sensors for a built motor.

Probes.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Everyone talks about data, if you are serious about dialing in an N54 this is the kind of external data you should be taking. This is a 170MPH 1/2mile pass at SS three years ago running GC's. https://datazap.me/u/vargasturbotech/nfz-1699-wr-run-aem-mhd-logs?log=1&data=0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7

We have since upped our data gathering much much more, with 6 EGT probes, Cam/Crank phasing read off the sensors, duty cycle for all 6 PI injectors, etc... Proper data is the key to proper performance.

Chris

foulnews

Aug 23, 2018
Ride
09 535i With xDrive
I'd love to see a PnP oil pressure sender to keep an eye on oil pressure. It would be cool if it could possibly be DME integrated to monitor pressure through OBD2, but I imagine that would take a ton of work to do. However I'd still like an easily install-able oil pressure gauge.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I'd love to see a PnP oil pressure sender to keep an eye on oil pressure. It would be cool if it could possibly be DME integrated to monitor pressure through OBD2, but I imagine that would take a ton of work to do. However I'd still like an easily install-able oil pressure gauge.
Pretty sure n55 sensor plugs right in in place of pressure switch just dme wont read but should be able use an awron or something to have vent gauge with oil pressure

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Last edited:

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
So I'm assuming by the lack of response to the drivetrain mods, that's not something you're interested in doing? Shame, because I truly think that's an untapped market right now and we're missing very basic things.

Aside from it being common in other performance cars, I believe we're the one BMW platform that doesnt even have a metal guibo option, let alone the other stuff I mentioned like the stalled TC or trans brake. Relatively easy stuff (i.e. less R&D than clutches to compete with PD, or even likely less R&D than your IM took to make) is just completely missing from our platform and is all stuff that would help a LOT of people.

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
So I'm assuming by the lack of response to the drivetrain mods, that's not something you're interested in doing? Shame, because I truly think that's an untapped market right now and we're missing very basic things.

Aside from it being common in other performance cars, I believe we're the one BMW platform that doesnt even have a metal guibo option, let alone the other stuff I mentioned like the stalled TC or trans brake. Relatively easy stuff (i.e. less R&D than clutches to compete with PD, or even likely less R&D than your IM took to make) is just completely missing from our platform and is all stuff that would help a LOT of people.

would people actually buy a metal guibo tho? Thats easy. I remember talking to some people about it, and most people were concerned about how harsh it would be.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
PnP Air to water intercooler. @BlueBimma (insta) is my local friend that fit the s55 a2w ic to his n54 swapped 318ti. I've been jealous of it ever since.

Water to air whilst quite good in terms of performance is complicated and extremely heavy (even compared to a bar and plate) overall to a good quality tube and fin IC which we already make and that can easily cope with extreme heat using one of our custom Plazmaman cores.

Been really sick, didn't get this years flu shot in time and it's really buckled me

I'm reading everything and taking notes, but nothing will happen overnight and if other vendors want to take some of these ideas people are putting forward be my guest.

I don't want to make a million dollars as this is purely a side business for me to my primary one which basically runs itself these days and want to help advance this platform forward
so it doesn't die as long as I can see that I don't have to put a hand in my pocket to much.

We already done this but on our oil feed to our single turbo kit to keep an eye on the pressure being supplied to the turbo.

Can be easily done as already posted with that kit and seen no sense of reinventing the wheel.

We have the three pod ash tray gauge just trying to find the right gauges to make it really look oem.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m

Aside from it being common in other performance cars, I believe we're the one BMW platform that doesn't even have a metal guibo option, let alone the other stuff I mentioned like the stalled TC or trans brake. Relatively easy stuff (i.e. less R&D than clutches to compete with PD, or even likely less R&D than your IM took to make) is just completely missing from our platform and is all stuff that would help a LOT of people.
would people actually buy a metal guibo tho? That's easy. I remember talking to some people about it, and most people were concerned about how harsh it would be.

The 1m comes with a metal guibo from the factory but I'm actually looking to switch to a rubber one to help reduce nvh even more

A bigger one with bigger rubber inserts could easily be made or do you want a full solid one but I don't think that would be a good idea and would make the car really shit to drive or even brake something from the nvh this would transfer

Reactions: JimboFresh206

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The guibo would take no more than a day to prototype but it comes down to getting the right insert and this would take sometime unless something was available of the shelf.

I've seen but not experienced any failures with the oem unit myself, rubber would be my choice for this reason alone.

Rubber is cheap, as I said to my ex-wifes dad.

• Funny

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The nvh transfer would be huge, but could easily be made.

You are way better off making a 1 piece drive shaft or a cf one over this, especially with the power most are running