Who has electric cutouts?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I remember there was a company selling an exhaust system quite some time back which made use of electric cutouts. Each side of the exhaust had two routes, one was straight through, no mufflers, the other was a bypass which directed exhaust flow through a muffler and then back into the main pipe, to be expelled through each of the dual exhaust pipes.

Does anyone remember which exhaust this was or does anyone run a similar setup?

EDIT: Actually, I remember now. It was called RSD and it appears to be a quad exhaust, though it may be possible to make it dual single exhaust...
download.jpg

Last edited:

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I always thought it would be a cool idea for the 335. I had one on my trans am back in the day.
I'm already E93, so the weight doesn't bother me. Its just the reliability and power that I'm curious about. So long as the cutout doesn't block flow more than the muffler(it shouldn't). I personally prefer the single exit, dual exhaust over the quad exhaust. So if I did this, I'd route the exhaust back into the main pipe before coming out the back.

Bumbleb

Private
Nov 3, 2016
Florida
When I drove around with open dps my car pulled timing like crazy due to the knock sensor so it would need to be a bit further down the line.

-Brandon

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
When I drove around with open dps my car pulled timing like crazy due to the knock sensor so it would need to be a bit further down the line.

-Brandon

Just picking up the extra resonance and vibration? I think if you did it like in this photo, and even rerouted the exhaust back into the main pipe, you wouldn't have any issues. Just extra weight and cost.

Jboyorak

Private
Nov 6, 2016
Maine
I don't currently have a cutout, but I plan on building my exhaust with one. I prefer a single exhaust with using a side in and dual out muffler to maintain a factory look. The plan is single cutout right after the downpipes when I join the two banks together.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I'm planning on going this route with my car. It's the closest I think you can get to the akropovic exhaust.

Oh yes, akropovic... Haven't heard that name for a bit. Are you going to revert back to a single outlet on each side or a dual, dual(quad) exhaust?