Who has this Crank Seal Protection Plate?

screaminfast

Sergeant
Feb 18, 2017
Rochester NY
mikecentola.com
Ride
07 SG/CR 335i / 17 X6 x35i
Just took these measurements off the car. Do these look right? I have plenty of scrap aluminum or stainless to make myself one.

1603489487612.png

Reactions: doublespaces

lilg1993

Private
Jun 3, 2020
Little thread revival here...

I see Vargas now makes and sells one for $69 (nice).

Anybody try out the VTT one yet? I currently have one of the $95 ebay ones on mine and it's incredibly annoying as it rubs against the crank pulley. Would instantly switch to the Vargas one if it didn't rub

Reactions: TheFixer

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
The kies motorsport one seems like the best one available. But yer it's $199!

Not necessarily, some N54's or even N55's and S55's don't have a recessed crank seal so it won't fit. Personally I like the fact it has that alignment ridge, but I think it is a stupid design because not every one's crank seal is recessed.

Reactions: Illsic_Design

TiAgAu

Corporal
Nov 18, 2018
Australia
Ride
08 335i
Not necessarily, some N54's or even N55's and S55's don't have a recessed crank seal so it won't fit. Personally I like the fact it has that alignment ridge, but I think it is a stupid design because not every one's crank seal is recessed.
i had no idea about that
Interesting! I had no idea about this. Thanks

lilg1993

Private
Jun 3, 2020
I like the malo one better, it's made in Canada, billet aluminum, and the mounting tabs are round and look way more sturdy as there is more contact material.

maybe I'm just slow but an internet search for "malo crank seal guard n54" returned zero results for anything with the word "malo" in it. have you got a link?

The kies motorsport one seems like the best one available. But yer it's $199!

had just come across and checked out the video on the Kies one right before you posted lol. it does seem very nice, but that is interesting about the recessed vs non-recessed crank seal, I too never knew that

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
examples:

1) This n54 has a flush crank seal: https://offerup.com/item/detail/790925624/
2) This S55 (if you scroll down far enough) has a recessed crank seal: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1675231

What I have noticed is on S55's for the most part they are recessed, but not on N54's and some N55's. This can change if you have had your crank seal replaced as well, and who knows how these are installed at the factory and to what tolerance because if they are not recessed far enough the plate can hit it and cause issues.

Last edited:

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
maybe I'm just slow but an internet search for "malo crank seal guard n54" returned zero results for anything with the word "malo" in it. have you got a link?

had just come across and checked out the video on the Kies one right before you posted lol. it does seem very nice, but that is interesting about the recessed vs non-recessed crank seal, I too never knew that
Yeah I didn't think about it too much until I started to look at some photos and talk to some people.

This is their instagram, there is a link to buy it from there. Note how much thicker the connection to the mounting spots are compared to VTT and I like how the mounting holes are round which makes it easier to hold in place and get it flush, it is a reason why I prefer their plate over the others plus it is cheaper than VAC. You can also see the videos of them machining it in house.

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
I think Malo's pricing is supposed to be in CAD on their site which is why it is higher than on Ebay. You'll have to message them to double check.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
So what is wrong with the VTT version then? Its cheaper and is also one piece billet? Why would we pay 100-200? For 150 you can get the plate and the crank bolt capture.

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
So what is wrong with the VTT version then? Its cheaper and is also one piece billet? Why would we pay 100-200? For 150 you can get the plate and the crank bolt capture.
Nothing I just said I personally prefer the tab design (circular holes instead of oval so it is easier to line it up tight against the crank seal and not have it rub against the dampener, plus the tabs have more contact material than VTT's) of the Malo plate and the supplemental hardware it comes with is nice. Also the Malo plate is supposed to be $100 CAD so about $70 USD iirc.

Overall both good plates I'm just biased and prefer the malo plate, if you need a CBC probably better to get the VTT plate and be able to save some money.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Just to clarify - both MaLo and VTT are billet (I'm sure VAC is as well). I'd be surprised anyone would make this out of something that was not billet Al, anyway (though I see some welded up thing on ebay that ... errrrr ... ok nvmd).

The MaLo on ebay is $95 shipped CONUS. The VTT piece is $75 shipped CONUS. The VTT piece is $20 less. This is a cover, it is not structural. I see no reason that either would not do the job it is supposed to do - it's not a rocket science part (hence the price). MaLo provides some loctite in the added $20. I suspect most of us have loctite sitting around, but hey, nice packaging by MaLo. The hardware is complete overkill - 12.9 grade from VTT ... like ... there is no force on this part. So no worries on any of these setups. MaLo uses stainless bolts. 🤷‍♂️ ... pretty much six of one, half dozen of the other.

I ordered the VTT unit on eBay, to go along with my VTT bolt capture when the motor upgrades go in. Tough to beat - price is good, and I know who to email if I need something.

Filippo

georgewny

Feb 19, 2021
I just bought the MALO plate and it arrived 2 days ago.
As others have mentioned it is fairly robust and the tabs are quite meaty.
It comes with a one page instruction which states the following:

"
When installing your Crank Seal Cover Plate, please make sure it sits flush with your engine block.
Remove any burrs if there are any on the block that could interfere with the plate as there is limited
clearance between the crank pulley and the cover plate.

Please use the washers and tighten the left bolt (passenger side on a left-hand drive car) first then the right
bolt to 15ft lbs (20nm).

Please make sure after tightening that the plate did not form a belly. It has to sit flush or it may rub
against the pulley.

"