Who has this Crank Seal Protection Plate?

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Easy, VTT even addressed this issue as well. So there is a gen 1 and gen 2 SPLOCK design. The Gen 1 had a spiraled spline design like a spline remover thread, this prevented the spline lock from biting into the crank fully in some cases and that's why some gen 1's slipped, there is also a discussion how a spiral spline will only bite tighter and work in one direction. I believe it was only one or two cases of it not working, which is extremely little. VTT addressed this issue by making the Gen 2 SPLOCK which has straight splines (now it works in both directions) and must be pressed into the crank, this means the splines already have bit into the crank upon installation and is guaranteed to have been locked in. They even confirmed it with images of the spline marks into the crank.
While I will say the Splock is added insurance (not 100% guarantee), I still stand by my thoughts (as well as others), that a bolt capture does nothing.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
The hub spinning is not addressed by the CBC as previously stated, again showing you don't understand this issue, if you want to stop it from spinning you need a full crank hub solution that is pinned, keyed, or a splined.

You can stop the CBC from vibrating lose by securing the bolts holding it on with loctite, whose job is to prevent bolts from vibrating lose.
Correct, VTT says the complete solution is to use BOTH. However, before the spline lock came out, they said the CBC would prevent failures caused by the bolt backing out as it is IMPOSSIBLE for the bolt to back out using a CBC.
Thats the issue I had and Chris then said that yes, the bolt can still come out.
I only quoted what you said regarding cbc to begin with (not spline lock) and the bolt can and will come out if using alone with no spline lock. Period.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
As far as the seal thing is concerned, it looked half baked to me so I never bought it. If it wasn't making a sacrifice then I'd install one even if my maintenance is good. A belt can come off for more than one reason such as a broken pulley.

Orion1two

Lurker
Dec 14, 2019
Ride
BMW 335I E90 AT
Yep, that went to shit real quick. We were talking about bedplate bolts.... idk if I would say the design is half baked I've spoken to several people over the last 2 weeks that said the plate saved their ass. Belt breaking may be rare if your car is maintained but in that odd case no one wants the belt to destroy their engine.

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
Yep, that went to shit real quick. We were talking about bedplate bolts.... idk if I would say the design is half baked I've spoken to several people over the last 2 weeks that said the plate saved their ass. Belt breaking may be rare if your car is maintained but in that odd case no one wants the belt to destroy their engine.
I'm curious if the bed plate would shift at all and if the seal would be compromised if one were to remove those two bolts. I'm thinking no since there are so many bolts holding the bed plate together, but I don't want to take that kind of a risk. Wish the plate was cheaper though.

Orion1two

Lurker
Dec 14, 2019
Ride
BMW 335I E90 AT
F87 I think the same just two bolts of many there location though had me worried at first. See the link I posted yesterday. $85 version on ebay. Guy got right back to me and answered any questions I had. I'll probably be going with his updated model releasing next month just for peace of mind. but I'm not trying to pay $140 for it. His fitment looks better than other ebay sellers as well

Reactions: F87Source

Orion1two

Lurker
Dec 14, 2019
Ride
BMW 335I E90 AT
I also meant to put a ''haha'' after my previous comment wasn't trying to sound like an asshole. 👽

Reactions: F87Source

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
F87 I think the same just two bolts of many there location though had me worried at first. See the link I posted yesterday. $85 version on ebay. Guy got right back to me and answered any questions I had. I'll probably be going with his updated model releasing next month just for peace of mind. but I'm not trying to pay $140 for it. His fitment looks better than other ebay sellers as well
Yeah the bolts right at the front crank seal makes it even riskier for leaks, especially since it is at the front where there are no other bolts on the other side.

Yeah I'll take a look at the eBay guy or Vader solutions later on. I want a solution now so I can do it while I put on my CBC.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I have to say I'm very unimpressed by the welding work on what is likely the best example in the eBay photos. I wouldn't put that on my car, but that's just me. Beautiful part is someone can save a few bucks and think they got a deal, and someone can spend more money and think they got a good deal.

Filippo

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
I have to say I'm very unimpressed by the welding work on what is likely the best example in the eBay photos. I wouldn't put that on my car, but that's just me. Beautiful part is someone can save a few bucks and think they got a deal, and someone can spend more money and think they got a good deal.

Filippo
From what the other poster said, the authentic oxwerkz plate isn't much better either.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
agreed.
Likely those that can/would install this are the least likely to need it.
Yeah...like me. I will install pink slippers if I think it will prevent the car from being attacked by rabid vampire zombies in some unlikely future scenario.

HATBMW

Jul 16, 2020
$85 ebay one looks ok installed

Attachments

• IMG_0700.JPG
    IMG_0700.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 93

N52328xi

Sep 17, 2020
Yeah looks to be because it was rubbing, probably should have made sure it wasn't before driving the car. It has to be thin to fit behind the pulley,

There is another seller on ebay that sells his for $95.\

Edit: hahah he bumped the price to $295 for some reason LMAO. It had been $95 for a whhile, then $150, then back to $95. Now it's 295

I just ordered one from him a few days ago. Its coming in the mail today. Now i'm annoyed i may have wasted $70. I have a N52, Title of listing says N52 and N54. One review said it rubbed crank do not buy. others said it was good. When the first guys came out with it (not this ebay guy) it said only for N54, now they have a separate one for N52, but its $125. I have a feeling the $70 ebay one will only fit N54 and not the N52. Apparently theres a difference between the two engines and this plate cant work with both.