Who's broken stock differentials? And how?

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Looks like the rear pinion seal gave out and I leaked a lot of fluid and I think I may just get a new differential at this point

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
I broke my first diff due to a bad quaife core installation. Believe the tooth gap wasn't adjusted probably, and the bearings were done after a few thousand miles. Got a new second hand oem diff and reinstalled the quaife. So far so good.

Reactions: RuskiRacer

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Yes Im pleased with how it feels on track. I don't drag race. Also Im only at around 450hp. For drifting I would probably have preferred a clutch type lsd.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Yes Im pleased with how it feels on track. I don't drag race. Also Im only at around 450hp. For drifting I would probably have preferred a clutch type lsd.
Can you send me a link to the one you have? I mostly do roll racing just for fun I'll go to some track events here and there

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Can you send me a link to the one you have? I mostly do roll racing just for fun I'll go to some track events here and there

Here you go.

So basically I don't believe in lsds for casual drag racing. It is a bit like people buying big brake kits thinking they get shorter brake distance. You just don't. But you get other advantages which may or may not be intentional.

For better grip first of all you need better tires. If your tires are not slicks you don't have the best tires yet. When you have the best tires you go wider taller and softer. Then you heat the tires better. Then you replace old tires with new ones earlier etc etc etc.

When a wheel starts to slip you have already lost. The lsd then just changes how much you are going to loose, and how loosing will feel, if you understand what I mean. Thats for drag racing.

On the track it makes more sense because one wheel often has less grip due to running over curbs.

For drifting it really starts to make sense, especially in the rain, where the bmw e diff brake stuff doesn't work very well.

The quaife is very expensive, and as I said, needs to be installed properly to not kill the differential. So for most people I don't really think it is much value for money.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Here you go.

So basically I don't believe in lsds for casual drag racing. It is a bit like people buying big brake kits thinking they get shorter brake distance. You just don't. But you get other advantages which may or may not be intentional.

For better grip first of all you need better tires. If your tires are not slicks you don't have the best tires yet. When you have the best tires you go wider taller and softer. Then you heat the tires better. Then you replace old tires with new ones earlier etc etc etc.

When a wheel starts to slip you have already lost. The lsd then just changes how much you are going to loose, and how loosing will feel, if you understand what I mean. Thats for drag racing.

On the track it makes more sense because one wheel often has less grip due to running over curbs.

For drifting it really starts to make sense, especially in the rain, where the bmw e diff brake stuff doesn't work very well.

The quaife is very expensive, and as I said, needs to be installed properly to not kill the differential. So for most people I don't really think it is much value for money.
Ya I wasn't planning on doing anything with my differential unless I really needed to I'm running some federal 595rs which aren't bad for the street when I go to the track I try and borrow my friends extra set of Mickeys. I never really had to much of an issue with the BMW e diff I always been able to lay down 2 wheel burnouts drifting is the only thing that gets a little sketchy on the e diff if your not used to it in my opinion. Thanks for your insight

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
An LSD definitely helps for drag racing. Not as much as a proper tire and suspension setup, but not peg legging down the track helps a ton. If you drive a 335 with and without an LSD you won't go back to an open diff.

I do agree the benefit is much larger turning though.

I did a Quaife LSD and subframe bushings and IMO it's the best mod you can do to the 335 next to maybe good tires.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Ya I wasn't planning on doing anything with my differential unless I really needed to I'm running some federal 595rs which aren't bad for the street when I go to the track I try and borrow my friends extra set of Mickeys. I never really had to much of an issue with the BMW e diff I always been able to lay down 2 wheel burnouts. drifting is the only thing that gets a little sketchy on the e diff if your not used to it in my opinion. Thanks for your insight

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
I agree the e diff is great when traction is good.

And I also love solid subframe bushings.

And the rear is much more stable with an lsd. Open just feels wrong after you try it. Agree again.

But it is one of the lowest value for money mods you can do, if all you do is casual drag racing. Spend the money on tires etc instead.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
I agree the e diff is great when traction is good.

And I also love solid subframe bushings.

And rear is much more stable with an lsd. Agree again.

But it is one of the lowest value for money mods you can do, if all you do is casual drag racing. Spend the money on tires etc instead.
Pretty much my thoughts as well. I'm going to go pick up a used diff with 106k on it for $150 and put some good fluid in it and see how it goes

Reactions: Asbjorn