Wire Tuck

screaminfast

Sergeant
Feb 18, 2017
Rochester NY
mikecentola.com
Ride
07 SG/CR 335i / 17 X6 x35i
Hey guys, thinking about doing a wire tuck and moving the DME/JB4 into the cabin. Do you think there will be any issues with resistances with the longer wires to run them into there. Haven't seen anyone do it yet other than zip tying the wires under the cowl, which is what I did already.

thanks

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Is this for a show car? I can't imagine it ever being worth the hassle on something you actually drive, not to mention the decrease in potential reliability.

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
Someone has done it on one of these forums but don't remember where it was.

I was going to do it to run a side exhaust but then decided to just go hood exhaust.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Ive been in that area before as I ran my servotronic wiring. I'd suggest just ripping it all out and going with a custom harness. I'm not a fan of any of the wiring all the way down to that junction box under the manifold.

With that said, this is probably one of the last things I'd do to my car from a pure effort vs reward standpoint.

screaminfast

Sergeant
Feb 18, 2017
Rochester NY
mikecentola.com
Ride
07 SG/CR 335i / 17 X6 x35i
There isn't much hassle other than possibly creating a harness and using some decent connectors. The cost could be in connectors or tools needed to make the harness. Just extended via soldering doesn't add much cost, but certainly adds a lot for time and more possibilities for mistakes.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
If you are doing this for the love of god do not solder to extend wire harnesses. Use the right contacts and crimps etc. Solder is never to be used in a vibration environment. It belongs on boards, not on wire harnesses.

Look up aviation or boating standards as an example. No automobile manufacturer uses solder to extend their wires either. Extremely unreliable with vibration or movement of any type.

If you are going to do it, do it right.

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
If you are doing this for the love of god do not solder to extend wire harnesses. Use the right contacts and crimps etc. Solder is never to be used in a vibration environment. It belongs on boards, not on wire harnesses.

Look up aviation or boating standards as an example. No automobile manufacturer uses solder to extend their wires either. Extremely unreliable with vibration or movement of any type.

If you are going to do it, do it right.
Lol i guess you have this on cut ready to paste at any given moment.

• Dumb
Reactions: The Convert

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
You are ignoring content by this member. Best. Feature. Ever.

Every once and a while I am tempted to click "Show ignored content" but then I remember why only one person on this entire forum is set on ignore, and that is saying a lot ;)