Wire Tuck

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
There isn't much hassle other than possibly creating a harness and using some decent connectors. The cost could be in connectors or tools needed to make the harness. Just extended via soldering doesn't add much cost, but certainly adds a lot for time and more possibilities for mistakes.

If you do make something really high quality I'd be interested in buying a section or to and then making the rest myself to accommodate my personal preferences. The energy required to R&D this own my own vehicle is just not there. At this point, I've got irons and no fire.

You are ignoring content by this member. Best. Feature. Ever.

We had a much more sophisticated version of this, custom developed. And....Then the compatibility bugs came, board software updates and any time you start screwing around with custom permissions that is never going to last for a long time in terms of being stable so I wrote it off as lost development costs and have focused on other things so hopefully the Ignore feature provided is sufficient.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
If you do make something really high quality I'd be interested in buying a section or to and then making the rest myself to accommodate my personal preferences. The energy required to R&D this own my own vehicle is just not there. At this point, I've got irons and no fire.

We had a much more sophisticated version of this, custom developed. And....Then the compatibility bugs came, board software updates and any time you start screwing around with custom permissions that is never going to last for a long time in terms of being stable so I wrote it off as lost development costs and have focused on other things so hopefully the Ignore feature provided is sufficient.

Honestly it works just fine.

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Good call. Would benefit me to get the tools for Deutsch connectors too because they're used all over on my Harley as well.

Please dear god, make a replacement harness for this so it can be routed cleanly:

And allow custom lengths between this set of wires and the ecu box since some people don't run it along the factory cowl anymore. I would actually pay decent money to be able to unclip all this, and reclip new shit on that can be situated so the wires run nicely along the edges somewhere.

screaminfast

Sergeant
Feb 18, 2017
Rochester NY
mikecentola.com
Ride
07 SG/CR 335i / 17 X6 x35i
Please dear god, make a replacement harness for this so it can be routed cleanly:
View attachment 26526

And allow custom lengths between this set of wires and the ecu box since some people don't run it along the factory cowl anymore. I would actually pay decent money to be able to unclip all this, and reclip new shit on that can be situated so the wires run nicely along the edges somewhere.

Agreed man. We need to come up with a list of what the factory connectors are for things like the LP sensor, oil pressure sensor, etc, otherwise it involves splicing I would think.

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
All of this wiring mess and various modules located throughout the cabin, coupled with my intent for a purposely built drag car, is why I'm 99.9999% sure I'm just going standalone next year. Have you held a complete wiring harness? It's decently heavy! I'll weigh it before it goes back into the car.

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Agreed man. We need to come up with a list of what the factory connectors are for things like the LP sensor, oil pressure sensor, etc, otherwise it involves splicing I would think.
Worst case depin probably. The factory connectors will drive up the price, but there is also the electrical sensitivity of these vehicles to consider. Changing wire gauge/length and electrical resistances will shift a bit.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Worst case depin probably. The factory connectors will drive up the price, but there is also the electrical sensitivity of these vehicles to consider. Changing wire gauge/length and electrical resistances will shift a bit.
This is something that would just need tested/verified. I would bet the vast majority of items would be unaffected.

Reactions: screaminfast

Turby

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
Kcmo
Ive relocated the dme into the cabin, its mounted under the glove box. I only had to extend 8 to 10 wires since most of the wiring has more than enough slack to be routed through the firewall. Also there's a plug in the firewall for rhd cars that you can pop out and it's perfect for running the wiring through. Ive had it like this for over a year with no issues.

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
Looks good! I like your idea of relocating the coolant reservoir. I don't have AC so I thought about fishing some of harness that's on the drivers side of the engine through that open hole now in the firewall to clean up the engine bay.

Now I'm torn on fender or hood exit again....

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
Just by moving the dme so much space is free'd up. Most of these pictures show it allowed me to do fender exit exhaust and the one picture with inlets shows I was able to hide the coolant tank where the dme used to be making a much cleaner look for the engine bay.
View attachment 26719View attachment 26720View attachment 26721View attachment 26722View attachment 26723
Perfect explanation and details. So many people like to shoot these ideas down based solely off opinions and hypothetical “but what about” . Glad to see pioneers still doing what they want, how they want. Pay not attention to the casuals.

Reactions: Turby

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
Looks good! I like your idea of relocating the coolant reservoir. I don't have AC so I thought about fishing some of harness that's on the drivers side of the engine through that open hole now in the firewall to clean up the engine bay.

Maybe you can do an ice tank and remove the coolant system completely. Save weight/ pump harness radiator etc.

screaminfast

Sergeant
Feb 18, 2017
Rochester NY
mikecentola.com
Ride
07 SG/CR 335i / 17 X6 x35i
Ive relocated the dme into the cabin, its mounted under the glove box. I only had to extend 8 to 10 wires since most of the wiring has more than enough slack to be routed through the firewall. Also there's a plug in the firewall for rhd cars that you can pop out and it's perfect for running the wiring through. Ive had it like this for over a year with no issues.

Hell yeah! Thanks for the pics man. I'm going to work on that for sure. What did you do to extend them? New fittings?

Turby

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
Kcmo
Fender sounds soooo much better than hood

• Funny
Reactions: SJ_1989