X Drive Downpipe install?

Discussion in 'N54' started by Tweedle335, Jan 18, 2017.

Trader History (0)
  1. I've been looking around and I've seen a bunch of install guides for downpipes on RWD cars, but I haven't been able to find one on xdrive cars. I have a 335xi and obviously I want to do downpipes, but I don't want to pay a shop to install them. Are there any good guides out there for the install on an xdrive car?

2. While you're doing those you might as well install inlets, you will have to drop the subframe in order to remove the stock DPs

http://www.bummerboost.com/showthread.php?19372-Downpipe-install-335xi-subframe-method

3. Yeah.. trust me this is something I'll also have to do at some point. Let me know what all tips you come across. It would be much appreciated

4. b1mmr

b1mmr Corporal

It took me 7 hours on ramps for my xi.. when you get to the part where you have to clamp the dp's I suggest a friend.

It is critical that you thread all of the sub frame bolts before tightening them down when you are done. In my experience the sub frame didn't line up enough for the last bolt to go in cleanly and I had a shop clean the threads for 140.. exhaust shop wanted 800 for the job so I considered it a lesson learned and 660 dollars saved .

Harbor freight has an 02 wrench or you can try a crowfoot for the sensors.. I used neither of these but the tools are out there. Try not to twist these cables too much.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. doublespaces

doublespaces Administrator

AZ
    2009 E93 335i
    Someone should really clean up that guide and put it in our resource section :)

6. I'll donate 20$ to whoever does a really in-depth guide. :) I would feel more comfortable doing the job with a more detailed guide than what I could find.

7. doublespaces

AZ
    2009 E93 335i
    I'll spot 50% :)

8. Reaper0995

Reaper0995 Lurker

Really that link is pretty good, it's what I followed doing my xi and that was the first thing I had done to my car. Literally bought it, drove one tanks worth of gas, then did all the fbo mods. Overall it's pretty self explanatory once you get into the thick of it. Drop the subframe, but understand that does not mean remove the subframe. Like an idiot I didn't do inlets while it was apart, then later did it... without dropping the subframe and it was a huge pain! I would not recommend doing it the way I did, just buy them and put them in at the same time.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. doublespaces

AZ
    2009 E93 335i
    Except an official AWD guide would look so nice here: https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/resources/

10. b1mmr

b1mmr Corporal

11. I like the guide, but I feel like the dropping the subframe part needs more detail. I don't wanna mess anything up when I have to drop it, and that part of the guide is a little light on details.

12. b1mmr

b1mmr Corporal

If memory serves me right, all you need to do is be prepared for it to drop with a jack, it doesn't just fall out but it detaches from the frame. You need another jack for the engine.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  13. I'll make a road trip if you wanna help with mine? XD

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List