X5D best tuned/deleted 1/4 mile runs?

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
Considering one for my wife and I know I won't be able to keep my hands off it.

What are these capable of given their curb weight and brick like aero?

I know there are quite a few 335s in the 11 second range, can the X5 find its way into the 12s with the awd advantage at least?

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I don't have an answer for you 100% but this is where I am:

I just deleted one of my X5 35Ds w/ custom tune. Stock intercooler(I am not paying $700, only 1 on the market), and they make no intakes for the X5, no meth(yet). I get 27 mpg now combined which is crazy for a big heavy SUV. You can do better on highway especially if you set cruise around 70.

My pants dyno says low 13s. Maybe someday I will take it to the track, it is just not convenient for me and I have a go fast cah which is much more likely to make it to the track.

What does a stock X5 35D run in the 1/4? It also depends on which transmission like I only have the 6 spd in my 2011. I think the newer ones got the better tranny.

Reactions: typedRew

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
I don't have an answer for you 100% but this is where I am:

I just deleted one of my X5 35Ds w/ custom tune. Stock intercooler(I am not paying $700, only 1 on the market), and they make no intakes for the X5, no meth(yet). I get 27 mpg now combined which is crazy for a big heavy SUV. You can do better on highway especially if you set cruise around 70.

My pants dyno says low 13s. Maybe someday I will take it to the track, it is just not convenient for me and I have a go fast cah which is much more likely to make it to the track.

What does a stock X5 35D run in the 1/4? It also depends on which transmission like I only have the 6 spd in my 2011. I think the newer ones got the better tranny.

Get yourself a Dragy. Everywhere is a drag strip, especially if you're awd.

I know i'd get one with the 6spd box, i don't want to pay more than 10k for one. I see lots of options under that so seems reasonable.

Thats excellent mpg all things considered. What tune and delete kit did you go with?

Reactions: Torgus

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Get yourself a Dragy. Everywhere is a drag strip, especially if you're awd.

I know i'd get one with the 6spd box, i don't want to pay more than 10k for one. I see lots of options under that so seems reasonable.

Thats excellent mpg all things considered. What tune and delete kit did you go with?

Not a bad idea, I guess I could use it in both cars.

Parts:
https://www.tunemyeuro.com/eco-billet-egr-race-pipe-for-bmw-335d-and-x5-35d/
https://www.tunemyeuro.com/buzzken-bmw-e70-2009-2013-x5d-dpf-and-scr-cat-delete-3/
https://www.tunemyeuro.com/swirl-flap-delete-kit-bmw-335d-and-x5-35d/

I did not do the install as I got lazy and sent it to Max at Northeast Autobahn. He did the install and said the parts were fine, everything fit as expected. Custom tune from Max as well. To go more aggressive I need an IC and would install meth but this is my DD and I don't need crazy power.

I know I can tune the auto box via the Android app. I don't think I am going to spend the money. No one wants to race a X5. No reason to be a 'fast' X5 crusing at 75MPH if you get me. I just don't see the value in spending more. I mainly did the deletes for MPG and to make the SUV more reliable. the bump in power over the JBD box is nice and I get the diesel whistle.

Enough room for a 4 inch exhaust if you wanted:
IMG_1875_1__06555.1512398287.jpg

Last edited:

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
Trust me, I know its ridiculous to want a fast one, but its just part of me, I can't help it.

Glad to know the parts fit great, those are likely the pieces i'll buy, I have experience with their stuff from my VWs.

How strong is the diesel smell without a cat? Livable? Dont notice it? Cant help but notice it?

For me, I just have to have something like this be 'fast' because something like this shouldn't be fast. I know, its stupid. :laughing:

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Trust me, I know its ridiculous to want a fast one, but its just part of me, I can't help it.

Glad to know the parts fit great, those are likely the pieces i'll buy, I have experience with their stuff from my VWs.

How strong is the diesel smell without a cat? Livable? Dont notice it? Cant help but notice it?

For me, I just have to have something like this be 'fast' because something like this shouldn't be fast. I know, its stupid. :laughing:

It is good you are not close(I assume) or I would have to make mine faster to keep up ;) Meth, tranny tune, IC, are not huge money but I don't see another 2k of cash making me enjoy the X5 anymore than I currently do. I think I also would need the R90 fuel pump but that might only be for upgraded turbos I forget.

So you definitely notice the smell, I was worried about it, especially with the wife and kid. She has not said a word or noticed the turbo whine which is amazing as she picks up on stuff like that. She has an X5 35D as well so maybe she doesn't notice everything being louder. If it is sitting idling you smell it outside of the car. It is not bad, it just smells like a diesel to me. Windows up nothing really maybe a touch with the air on, once you are moving at any speed you can't smell a thing windows up or down. I say go catless, you could always add one to the mid pipe if it really bothered you later for $150 bucks. At least that is why the exhaust place charges me $100 for the cat $25 per weld.

I mainly did it because my DEF heater had failed and the opportunity presented itself for a variety of reasons. Car has a new sticker since the install, no CEL, passes inspection without playing games. I am happy with it I guess. Still new to me as of last week.

• Funny

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
Slow down, I need to buy one before we can race. You've got a head start. :tearsofjoy:

This is all good news to me honestly, because the wife living with it is key. I'm sure if there is any smell with windows up, ill have to do a cat. But at first, i'll of course test the waters and go from there. As i'd prefer catless for a variety of reasons.

And yeah, I can understand not wanting to invest in it any more if you are getting 95% of the performance already, is that last 5% worth 2 grand? Probably not.

Ill most likely just do it all at once to make it hurt only one time and convince myself it was needed and move on. lol

All my cars are daily drivers and they all usually get meth kits, its a sickness, so I love seeing someone with your restraint. I just cant harness that power myself.

Going to go look at one about 80 miles from me this weekend for $8500 and see if she likes driving it, then we go from there.

If she doesn't, ill probably just keep her car and then add a 335D to my personal line up and deal with the rwd and massive torque in the winter.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
These are fairly well supported all in all. Some really good tunes, and then if you want to get a bit more stupid, hybrid turbo upgrade, etc. This is part of why I got myself into an N57 daily driver - dream engine and luscious trans. Unfortunately the Bosch CP4 on the later is a ticking time bomb. The M57 vehicles run the older CP3 HPFP which is the way to go. I keep thinking about a 2012-3 X5 ...

Filippo

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Slow down, I need to buy one before we can race. You've got a head start. :tearsofjoy:

This is all good news to me honestly, because the wife living with it is key. I'm sure if there is any smell with windows up, ill have to do a cat. But at first, i'll of course test the waters and go from there. As i'd prefer catless for a variety of reasons.

And yeah, I can understand not wanting to invest in it any more if you are getting 95% of the performance already, is that last 5% worth 2 grand? Probably not.

Ill most likely just do it all at once to make it hurt only one time and convince myself it was needed and move on. lol

All my cars are daily drivers and they all usually get meth kits, its a sickness, so I love seeing someone with your restraint. I just cant harness that power myself.

Going to go look at one about 80 miles from me this weekend for $8500 and see if she likes driving it, then we go from there.

If she doesn't, ill probably just keep her car and then add a 335D to my personal line up and deal with the rwd and massive torque in the winter.

I say go catless in the DP and if the smell comes up add it to the mid pipe as I said above. You may need need the cat and may not need to spend the extra $$$ on the catted DP. The smell REALLY is not bad, I notice it but I am also looking for it.

Meth is the shit. Simple and cheap. Knowing me this time next year all the mods I mentioned will be done and I will have the X5 remapped w/ a tranny tune...we will see.

Just a comment I don't see the 335D as the best engine for the E9X platform. Gobs of low end tq is nice but can you honestly put down 600-800wtq at 2k rpms? It is just so low in the RPM range it sounds like it would just blow the tires off, good for burnouts though. I would pick and ST N54 or SC'd S65 over a modded m57 in the E9X platform. I prefer my power to build as the RPMs increase, kind of the opposite with the Diesel engine. In the X5 I think the M57 is the best once you delete it. Of all the engines available for the X5 it gets the best MPG and tons of low end tq which is what you want to make a heavy SAV/SUV feel peppy around town etc. Better than the nutless N52 or lower tq less turbo options N55.

Best of luck looking at the X5. My wife loves her X5 with the JBD installed nice peppy around town. I have a spare JBD I will sell you for a fair price if you would like. Start with that and then resell when you go deletes. They sell pretty quick I have seen.

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
These are fairly well supported all in all. Some really good tunes, and then if you want to get a bit more stupid, hybrid turbo upgrade, etc. This is part of why I got myself into an N57 daily driver - dream engine and luscious trans. Unfortunately the Bosch CP4 on the later is a ticking time bomb. The M57 vehicles run the older CP3 HPFP which is the way to go. I keep thinking about a 2012-3 X5 ...

Filippo

I agree, these are actually very well supported. Main reason I like it.

The f10 5 series is in my sights. I’m just tying to jusftiy the higher price tag when I’m primarily getting one of these vehicles to get something with better fuel mileage.

Any other major issues with the later n57 cars? I’d love a big comfortable 5 series with awd and 8spd.

I say go catless in the DP and if the smell comes up add it to the mid pipe as I said above. You may need need the cat and may not need to spend the extra $$$ on the catted DP. The smell REALLY is not bad, I notice it but I am also looking for it.

Meth is the shit. Simple and cheap. Knowing me this time next year all the mods I mentioned will be done and I will have the X5 remapped w/ a tranny tune...we will see.

Just a comment I don't see the 335D as the best engine for the E9X platform. Gobs of low end tq is nice but can you honestly put down 600-800wtq at 2k rpms? It is just so low in the RPM range it sounds like it would just blow the tires off, good for burnouts though. I would pick and ST N54 or SC'd S65 over a modded m57 in the E9X platform. I prefer my power to build as the RPMs increase, kind of the opposite with the Diesel engine. In the X5 I think the M57 is the best once you delete it. Of all the engines available for the X5 it gets the best MPG and tons of low end tq which is what you want to make a heavy SAV/SUV feel peppy around town etc. Better than the nutless N52 or lower tq less turbo options N55.

Best of luck looking at the X5. My wife loves her X5 with the JBD installed nice peppy around town. I have a spare JBD I will sell you for a fair price if you would like. Start with that and then resell when you go deletes. They sell pretty quick I have seen.

I agree about it not being the best. It really needs awd. That’s what I’d like ideally.

The only reason I would consider it for myself is for daily mileage and satisfying my diesel bug, I’ve never owned one. I drive 104 miles round trip everyday all highway. Getting a tuned deleted 335d for myself would save me considerable cash on fuel compared to my 20mpg average 09 n54 xdrive.

Considering you can get those into the 11s with a tire and almost 120 with bolt one and tune, that would be a very satisfying daily to get 45mpg with.

The x5 gets me a car my wife can use and upgrade from her Jetta size wise, plus similar mpg and then awd and diesel tuning options.

And I’ll take you up on the jbd if we make this purchase. For sure.

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I have a lot of experience with the N57 535d. CP4 is a concern. Usual crap with emissions stuff - all needs deleting. The ZF8HP trans is simply magical. Cars handle like crap (mine is an m-sport too). Needs suspension work and then it handles just like you'd expect. Stock it's a 14 sec quarter (it's a big car), sub 6 sec 0-60 ... and I'm consistently at 35mpg mixed. I run Hot Shots Secret EDT with every tank, just as lubricity insurance on the fuel system.

I had an N57 X5 for six weeks ... it was fabulous.

535d's are getting cheaper. X5 N57's still pretty pricey.

Filippo

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus and typedRew

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
Well, the one we went to look at was a bust. So, going to try and track down something cleaner, maybe further away. We will see.

Delaying plans a bit.

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
E70 X5d, E39 528iT, E46 325xi
@typedRew where are you located? I have a guy in PA that routinely picks up diesels from auction, hes a hit with the facebook group. I got mine from him and several other members have as well. my X5 is a bit more modified than most....

2011 X5 (LCI Model)
-Sport-ishPackage (black headliner/seats/19" wheels instead of the 20s, but base suspension)
-Cold Weather
-Navi
-third row (has rear air suspension)
-rear window shades ( just recieved my rear 3/4 shades from Germany)
-rear seat heating

Mods are:
-fully deleted
-DUDMD stage 2 tune
-FAI Harmonic Balancer
-ATM Intercooler
-Andrew Rodriguez hybrid turbos

while I was in there I did most of the vacuum lines and oil supply/return lines, starting on the transmission next week. New solenoids/seals/pan/fluid, followed by a tune from Rod.

Bought the truck for 15, prolly have another 5 or so into it. Routinely getting 450+ range with mixed driving, taking it to Tampa next month and looking forward to what I can get out of it on the highway only.

I dont think these things are drag strip trucks, but on the highway, passing is a breeze, not to mention when the big turbo comes in, it really moves compared to a stock turbo truck.

I too am looking at F10s for a replacement when my E46 dies (if it ever does), or swapping the M57 into my E39 wagon.

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
I'm in SE Michigan.

That sounds like a serious piece of work you've got there. I'd love to see you run at the track. Hell, id send you my dragy just to have you do a hit on the street to see what it does. I bet those turbos make a world of difference.

R90 pump upgrade or no?

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
I'm in SE Michigan.

That sounds like a serious piece of work you've got there. I'd love to see you run at the track. Hell, id send you my dragy just to have you do a hit on the street to see what it does. I bet those turbos make a world of difference.

R90 pump upgrade or no?

No pump upgrade, not interested in turning it up more than it already is. To be honest too I have zero interest in drag racing it lol, I just like a fast street car I can get on from time to time. This doubles as a baby hauler/vacation truck so I'm at the point where more mods start reducing reliability..

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
I can definitely appreciate that, but one run with a dragy from a stop to 110 is all I ask. I'd send you mine, just to know that data point. lol

If we get one I doubt i will do turbos, unless the OEMs die, but I can always dream.

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
I can definitely appreciate that, but one run with a dragy from a stop to 110 is all I ask. I'd send you mine, just to know that data point. lol

If we get one I doubt i will do turbos, unless the OEMs die, but I can always dream.

My oems died and the lines were clogged due to neglected maintenance, and hybrids were only $50 more than new Borg Warners. No brainer if you ask me.

I need to get the trans done before I do any crazy Launches or sustained full throttle runs, so bear with me lol

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
Oh absolutely, if you need turbos anyway, no reason to not upgrade. Good call.

What are you doing to trans? Replacement? Fluid?

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
Oh absolutely, if you need turbos anyway, no reason to not upgrade. Good call.

What are you doing to trans? Replacement? Fluid?

New solenoids, mechatronic sleeve, the 4 rubber seals between the valve body and housing, new pan with filter and fluid. Never been changed in 115k so might as well do it now and freshen it up. Going with a tune from Rod Sutphin to firm up the shifts a bit and stop the hunting for gears, BMW has a weird program in it where it likes to hang up in 2nd gear to warm the engine/trans fluid up and its annoying, not to mention the converter stays unlocked until it warms up, creates a lot of slippage and drives like a CVT....